Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hmmm just going from the commercials..Tarentino trying to hard? So much promise and then he settled into a fairly predictable director. Is he trying to respark the old magic..I like Brad Pitt in some things but just on the surface in this (only judging from ads) he looks like some weird caricature of 40's-50's movie stars. I don't know ..but like everything else I'll wait for the DVD ..just can't afford to go to the movies anymore lol.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
It looks ok from the ads, but I don't think I'll pay to see it. I might borrow it from a friend if they buy the DVD.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
hmmm just going from the commercials..Tarentino trying to hard? So much promise and then he settled into a fairly predictable director. Is he trying to respark the old magic..I like Brad Pitt in some things but just on the surface in this (only judging from ads) he looks like some weird caricature of 40's-50's movie stars. I don't know ..but like everything else I'll wait for the DVD ..just can't afford to go to the movies anymore lol.
he may be a somewhat predictable film maker, but his films are a nice reprieve from a lot of the pre-packaged crap that comes out of hollywood....*cough* transformers *cough*

·
Registered
177 Posts
he may be a somewhat predictable film maker, but his films are a nice reprieve from a lot of the pre-packaged crap that comes out of hollywood....*cough* transformers *cough*
Well we agree on that one, Transformers was ok but what a piece of shat the second one turned out to be.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
Well we agree on that one, Transformers was ok but what a piece of shat the second one turned out to be.
yeah, i watched a pirated copy of the first one, glad i didnt waste my money. i'm not even gonna see the second one.

but pulp fiction is still in my top 10 flicks

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well true but they're not a reprieve from each other...4 rooms, jackie brown, kill bill 1&2, death proof ,after resevoir dogs and pulp fiction..color me unimpressed.

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From dusk till dawn was the a bad ass vampire movie and desperado was awesome as well in my opinion, well it was when I was a kid.
Yeah and those were both robert rodriguez films not tarentino

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well not completely wrong, tarentino did screenwrite dusk til dawn...you can always tell because of the foot fetish stuff lol. Directing shapes the film though and I agree I like both of them better than tarentinos stuff after pulp fiction although i will say in grindhouse ..tarentino's "death proof" clearly was better than rodriguez's "planet terror".

·
Registered
557 Posts
I liked Transformers 2 and probably will go see GI Joe also---Mainly becasue I like popcorn flicks and sitting in the theatre for 2 hours to relax. I also have 4 kids-- so those movies are always good times for the family...

8*)

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
i think what i like about tarentino flicks is the sublte (and sometimes not so subtle) mirror he holds up to our culture. funny, savage, smart, dumb, brutal, violent, guilty, random etc. sometimes when i watch a scene of his, i get chills. one that comes to mind was in jackie brown when bruce willis' character guns down his female partner in the parking lot of a mall, just because she was irritating the hell out of him. i think you either connect with tarentino or you don't. and kill bill had some epic cinematography.

"Ak-47, when you absolutely got to kill every mother in the room, accept no substitutes"

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i think what i like about tarentino flicks is the sublte (and sometimes not so subtle) mirror he holds up to our culture. funny, savage, smart, dumb, brutal, violent, guilty, random etc. sometimes when i watch a scene of his, i get chills. one that comes to mind was in jackie brown when bruce willis' character guns down his female partner in the parking lot of a mall, just because she was irritating the hell out of him. i think you either connect with tarentino or you don't. and kill bill had some epic cinematography.

"Ak-47, when you absolutely got to kill every mother in the room, accept no substitutes"
I believe that was DeNiro in Jackie Brown but I get your point, I just didn't think Jackie Brown on the whole was much good. I do like some of his work..but I feel like it became about him topping himself or trying to than making films because he enjoyed them ..you can clearly see his joy in resevoir dogs and pulp fiction...it seems more forced in Kill Bill more like gee whiz look at me , than look at these characters. Of course that could just be me, but all movies are a personal thing anyway.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
I believe that was DeNiro in Jackie Brown but I get your point, I just didn't think Jackie Brown on the whole was much good. I do like some of his work..but I feel like it became about him topping himself or trying to than making films because he enjoyed them ..you can clearly see his joy in resevoir dogs and pulp fiction...it seems more forced in Kill Bill more like gee whiz look at me , than look at these characters. Of course that could just be me, but all movies are a personal thing anyway.
aww man, you're right. thats not even the first time i made that mistake. but that also brings up another point about jackie brown. seeing DeNiro in a weak role, and ultimately in a dead role, was a real trip. i'm so used to see him kicking butt, it was really interesting to see him as such a screwup.

you're right about the personal thing, and i think sometimes it works for the audience and sometimes it doesn't. you can see his ego big time if you watch the interviews on the special features of his films.

·
Registered
282 Posts
From dusk till dawn was the a bad ass vampire movie and desperado was awesome as well in my opinion, well it was when I was a kid.
Any movie with Selma Hayek in a harem outfit is okey dokey with me.

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
I will watch anything that involves the slaughtering/killing of Nazi's...
I heard one of the GI's takes a Nazi's head off with a baseball bat.

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
I heard one of the GI's takes a Nazi's head off with a baseball bat.
i love tarentino!
Me too!!

I guess in that scene they were interrogating him on his knees he wouldn't talk because of his love for Germany, well one thing led to another in the Tarantino way...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.