Inherited model 15-3 from my dad

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by 42chevy, Feb 8, 2015.

1. My dad passed away from lymphoma on 1/26/2015 and I inherited his Smith & Wesson model 15-3 snubbie. I spent the last 6 days of his life with him and was there when he breathed his last. Very hard but glad I was able to help dad die at home and not in a hospital. Dad was 76 and I attached a pic of my little brother, dad and I on a sturgeon trip when he first got sick. I am the taller brother with the goofy hat, my brother is in the middle. Dad caught a 14 foot sturgeon that day

Attached Files:

2. colthrash

colthrash Member

so sorry for your loss, but I believe the ones that leave us are actually standing with us... that is a beautiful fish. I take out the double barrel shotgun once a year in memory of my dad. it was all he hunted with...

3. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

In glad you got to spend the time with him.....

4. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

My condolences...
    Whenever I scout used guns in pawnshops I can't help but wonder what the stories are.....and how they got there.

5. My heart goes out to you and your family.

I lost my father 8/10/2011 and was lucky enough to be with him at his home when he passed too. That's the way to go...

6. I am grateful I could be there. I miss him but he taught me so much that he is always with me. We had a lot of fun together and every thing in life I am passionate about came through his teaching me. I was able to shoot all his guns that I own at the range with family the morning before his memorial. It is amazing to feel the connection he had with his guns. I also got his first gun that he got at age 16, a Winchester model 61 pump 22 made in 1950. These will stay in the family after I am gone, I already have made plans for who will get them when my time comes. Thanks for your support

7. osbornk

osbornk Hillbilly on a motorcycle Member

You are very lucky to have been able to spend the time with your Dad. I was two states and a plane ride away at a training school when I got the phone call that my Dad had suddenly and unexpectedly dropped dead playing pool when he was 52. The plane ride back to the family was horrible and they waited until I got there to make arrangements since I was the oldest child. That was in 1972 and it still bothers me. I never got to really know my Dad as he was a very private person who was "Shell Shocked" in WWII doing something he would never talk about. I never knew him to talk over about 6 words at a time.

8. I was so glad I was only 3 hours away and could help him with his physical needs. We were able to let each other know how much we loved each other and had no issues with each other, all four of us were there for mom and dad. It was a blessing but the hardest thing I have ever done, dad and i were both 6'1 and about 220 pounds (he was 100 pounds at the end). Dad was coherent up to about the last 12 hours, he was so strong in spirit. We even laughed together the morning of his death. He was the hardest working man I have ever known, he worked until 9 months prior to his death. It really bothered him to not be able to work even though he worked enough for two lifetimes.

9. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

My and Evil send our deepest sympathy and prays to you and yours. Its tough but you did get to spend time with him and be with him in the end. But it's not the end he will always be with you and your family. Remember the good times and the funny times have a laugh and a good cry and smile when he pops in your head. If you need to talk let me know PM. Will be there for you brother.

10. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

My deepest condolences.. the greatest monument to a mans life is to raise his children to themselves become good persons. That is a legacy that will live on well past the stone and concrete monuments crumbling. I'd say your father built a fine legacy. ;)

11. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Keep the memories! When my dad died in 2013 from a head on accident(doc thinks his heart just quit before) where he drifted into a semi in the other lane. I got back the shotgun I started hunting with. When I got it at 14 the stock was sawed off and a bad match butt pad added, and a short piece of a mismatched stock to extend it as i got taller. I used that thing until I was late 20's then I totally refurbished it and gave it back to dad. He cried when he saw it and hunted with it until he died. Single shot Stevens 16 gauge that swings really well on birds. Many pics of him holding that gun and a nice brace of pheasants in front on the ground.

12. Thanks to all of you. I am doing my best to think of all the great times and of being blessed with being there at the end for him and my mom.

13. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

And I'm sure that meant more to him and your mother than anything in this world....