Injury report - WARNING - graphic pictures

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Bushman98, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Well, I almost lost my finger, but thank God it will probably only end up being a pretty nastry scar.

Was using the angle grinder and had rotated the guard to get a better grinding angle. Well my index finger got caught betwen the rotating grinding stone and guard. Happened in microseconds.

Looks alot worst than it feels, but bit more and I would have taken a trip to the ER... even though they could have not done much more that what I did which was clean it out and gause it.

Warning, nasty pics bellow....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can actually see the grinding wheel profile on my finger... Its kind of swollen right now, so it doesn't look as deep.

You guys out there pay attention to what you are doing when your using powertools..... stay safe.

2. elguapo

elguapo Guest

(I honestly cannot comment on this one...a figer? Cut? How about one almost crushed by the forks of a forklifht? Sorry....)

3. SteveD

SteveD Member

Been there....done that. Now that I've reached the 40+ range, some common sence has kicked in. Safety glasses, hearing proction and some gloves are manadatory while I'm out building racers.

4. Youch looks painful but should heal up ok. Use plenty of neosporin type stuff for bacteria cleaning and scar tissue. I hope that didn't happen when you were making my new bolt handle. LOL

5. I put a little peice of myself into everything I do.... haha. Just kidding.

Actually I was making the tools to cut the handles.... material for them is supposed to arrive today.

6. ouch man! I've had several similar experiences.

1. my mother(who puts most handymen to shame) was using a miter saw and managed to cut her wrist with it. All soft tissue damage thankfully. She wasn't feeling good from that!
    2. I got my finger caught between a 30-40 foot crissoak bridge beam and a bolt. It completely removed about 1/4"X1/8" of skin.

7. I almost cut the end off my left hand index finger with a table saw so I know how you feel Bushman98. Be careful, take your time and KEEP THOSE BOOGERHOOKS OUT OF THE WAY!!!

Heal up quick my friend.

8. Kelotravolski

Kelotravolski Member

Not to take away from what I am sure was a terribly painful experience but when you said cut off I imagined it was hanging by 1/4" of flesh. Maybe I am just biased because I snapped the tip of my finger "off" in a door hinge and it was just left there hanging. I will say however that you have a more impressive wound than Tauraus.

When anyone hurts a finger everyone has to whip out there stories. lol.

I have a friend that has three of his fingers the same length on his left hand from an incident with a belt sander.

9. Well, thats the "almost" part.... I think because it was so fast it could have gone both ways. If it was just a cut, I would have said "cut my finger".

Yeah, no hanging body parts.... thank God.... sorry to disapoint. :)

10. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

Eh, dont feel too bad. My ring finger on my left hand is half a joint short on the end where it got caught in a tractor door when i was a kid.

SW

11. Bench grinder got me, it HURTS but eventually it will grow back.

12. god speaking of dangling appendages. There was this guy who taught health at my old middle school. First day of class he's talking about how he cut the end of his finger off in a door..."So I picked it up and put it in a bag with ice and went to the hospital. They sewed it back on. Can't feel a thing in it. THWAP THWAP THWAP(bashes finger on desk HARD...my desk)"

Guy was a green beret in nam. Lost most of his hearing with a bomb went off nearby when his head was underwater. DOH!

13. OUCH!!!
    Been there, done that. What I should have done.....wear heavy gloves.
    Consider yourself lucky. In six weeks you should be healed. The scar will disappear in about 40 years.

14. z71silverado98

z71silverado98 Member

Haha Our Shop teacher in 9th drilled through his hand w/ a drill press, looked at the hole and said "awe thats nothing" then passed out on the concrete. the blow to his head from falling did more damage than the drill bit though.

15. Good, I will post back in 40 years and tell you how it looks. 8)

Intrestingly enough, I looked up "how to heal faster" and between all the miracle cures, holistic nonsence, and snake oils there were some pretty intresting articles. One actually mentioned that "manly men" or guys that would just see their injury, wash it off with wiskey, and tear off their sleeve to dress the wound, actually heal faster than most other people. I asume it casue those kinds of guys are in good physical condition or have had other minor scrapes and cuts and their body is ready to repair damage.

16. Ouch.

I won't try to "one up" you Bushman, but only because i don't have a good story. :lol:

17. Is there a doctor on this forum????????????
    For all the smokers try this . to stop bleading use a fresh cigarete or cigar ash.It works everytime.
    If it don't kill you it will make you stronger,or something like that.

18. Jarhead1775

Jarhead1775 Guest

Put a little nu-skin on it, or some salt, or you can dip in a cup of alcohol. :lol: Keep it clean and don't let it get infected. Your fingers are very important to all of us!

19. So far looks like no infection, scabbing up pretty good, still oozing some plasma, but very little.

It hurts amazingly little... except when I do certain movements like twist a door handle or reach for my wallet.... at least thats what I told my wife. :lol: