Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get rid of my Mini-14 I recently got an AK and already have a SKS. So I dont really need 3 intermediate auto's and I want to consolidate calibers.
I have a ton of crap I have accumulated over the years for my mini in cluding 4 30 rnd mags (aftermarket) 1 20 round factory mag, the 5 rnd factory and a 90 round drum (yeah I know I was young cut me some slack). I also have a tapco fusion stock for it.
I have a trade on the table right now I am considering thought I would get the guru opinions
Guys offering a Ruger M77 VT (adjustable trigger and heavy barrel) stainless with laminate stock, in 25-06. even trade.
Only other bolt action rifle I have is a Mosin M44
Also any input on 25-06 would be good I am not real familiar with the round. Would it be a viable elk round ? deer Im pretty sure it would handle most of the ballistics I have seen put it on par with the 270.

Thanks for the input

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I donr know what the deal is with weird calibre offers The other offer I have has was for a browning abolt mico in 25wssm

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
IMO, if you are looking to consolidate calibers...why get something off the wall like a 25-06? .223 is a lot more common.

If you want a bolt action, I'd probably get something in .30-06.
x2

Even though the original poster was voicing that he wanted to consolidate autos--not calibers--I still agree with the above statement. Let me ask you this...what type of firearm do you want? With the accessories you have to sell with the rifle, you should be able to fetch at least 700.00+ on Gunbroker (going by the prices I've been seeing lately)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I would stick with 30-06 or 308 as well. I know a lot of more unusual calibers are very effective but a .30-06 can be used for pretty much everything and ammo should always be relatively easy to find.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be a bit more clear My decission to get the AK was more to consolidate calibers in my auto's. I want a Good bolt action rifle for hunting in Oklahoma and Texas If this was a 308, 30-06, or 270 I would have already pulled the trigger on the deal Its just 25-06 is kinda oddball and I dont want to have to buy ammo on line or pay a fortune for it.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I have a 30-06 rifle that I wouldn't mind trading for your Ruger, but I don't know if you'd want another semi-auto since you're trying to cut down. I'd even be interested in just the rifle itself, without that stock you have on it or accessories. Wish I had a bolt for you, bud.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
25-06 is an oddball. Isn't that a necked down 30-06?

I imagine that getting good bullets for it would be harder than getting 308 bullets.

·
Banned
401 Posts
I don't consider the 25-06 an oddball at all, it is quite a common caliber here in the west, know for its flat trajectory and good energy, great round for pronghorn, deer and I have even seen some elk taken with it. It is a necked down 30-06..virtually every shop I visit keeps 25-06 on the shelves...if your loading your own, several manufacture make good quality .25 caliber bullets, of course I am very biased to the Nosler line of bullets, but speer and hornady make good bullets as well. Hornady lists 10 different bullets from 60 grain to 120 grain, the 60's would be a hot little round for javilina.

Dp

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
If this was a 308, 30-06, or 270 I would have already pulled the trigger on the deal

To simply your situation, I think I would just sell the Mini outright and buy something you want..... even if you lose a few bucks in the process, you would get just what you really want and not "settle" for something that maybe down the road you will be asking yourself, WHY did I do that???? IMHO and $.02 worth.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am kinda leaning that way I really want a good deer Rifle and a standard remington 870. I can get a remington 770 30-06 at walmart for 360.00 and a plane jane 870 for 350.00 so I may just hold out for enuff of a cash offer to be able to cover both I would be happy then.

·
Registered
671 Posts
25-06 is a great caliber. That's what I came up on

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK I decided to let this baby sit in the classifieds for a bit and see what happens.
At this point its turned into almost an experiment to see what I CAN get
offers so far,
1)The ruger M77VT 25-06
2)A Ruger Super Redhawk 9.5 inch barrel 44mag SS ,and a Colt MKIII 357 mag blue 4 inch barrel
3)Springfield 1911-a1 Loaded SS fixed sites 2 SS mags and holster and 50 rounds of 230gr fmj
4)$800 cash

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.