Input on new laptop

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tallbump, Oct 22, 2015.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Ok, we're looking for a new laptop. It will be our main computer for the family. The wife and my oldest daughter also have Kindle Fires.

Looking to stay around $500

Found 2 I am interested in. Both have Windows 8. Definitely don't want 10.

There's

Refurbished HP Pavilion 17-f113dx Intel Core i5 17.3" HD+ LED, BeatsAudio Win 8.1 Notebook - for $429

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbished-HP-Pavilion-17-f113dx-Intel-Core-i5-17.3-HD-LED-BeatsAudio-Win-8.1-Notebook/46526350#about

Or

Toshiba Jet Black 17.3" Satellite C75D-B7215 Laptop PC with AMD A8-6410 Quad-Core Processor, 8GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive and Windows 8.1 for $390

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Toshiba-Jet-Black-17.3-Satellite-C75D-B7215-Laptop-PC-with-AMD-A8-6410-Quad-Core-Processor-8GB-Memory-1TB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-8.1/36998831

Not necessarily concerned about Toshiba vs HP. Don't hate HP, have really liked out Toshiba, but it's like 7 years old.

Hard drive isn't a concern, we never come close to filling it

It will mainly be used for checking in here, using Facebook, etc....not serious gaming. It's not a media center. We do occasionally use it to play music- CDs, YouTube, etc...

Really, the biggest difference I care about is the processor and RAM

The HP has an Intel Core i5-4210U Processor with 4GB DDR3L SDRAM

The Toshiba has AMD A8-6410 Quad-Core processor 2.0GHz with 8GB DDR3 SDRAM

I know that the 8 GB RAM is obviously better than the 4GB.....but I have always heard in general that Intel makes better processors than AMD.

I don't know if the AMD is a higher level that the Intel. Like, I believe the i5 is a mid grade Intel. Is the AMD A8 the top of the line for AMD?

Realistically, for what we will be using it for, does it matter? The Toshiba is $40 cheaper.

2. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

RAM is usually the biggest bottle neck in modern computers; get the one with the higher amount

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    And its new, as opposed to a refurb.
    Not that refurbs are bad...my son broke his Toshiba, I got a refurb of the same model for 1/2 price, so we have ALL spare parts, but the refurb has worked for over a year with no issues; and my son uses it a LOT of hours a day.

As they said, get the most RAM, that's the biggest thing.

Then...put Linux on it, and make it even faster. Ubuntu or Mint Linux are easy to use, and free.

4. I would go with the hp notebook..
    i have one and they are great. I have 4gb ram, will get 4 more soon..:cool:

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I don't have a real objection to refurbed hardware however, if you don't have a replacement for the Hard Disk (and the ability to reinstall Windows from something that's not the "recovery partition") then the refurb would worry me. Spinning Media is what goes bad first and fastest.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

Backup and backup often.
    I try to do so once a month or so, just in case. Then again, the external drive could fail at any moment, too.
    It's always a gamble, even with brand new stuff. Your old computer may have lasted 7 years, then you get a brand new one, and the drive crashes 2 months after you bring it home; though I don't think this will be a problem as a lot of companies are switching to flash-type drives in their new models.

7. lsi1

lsi1 Member

the biggest bottleneck in a modern computer is the hard drive. Its spinning disks make it the slowest point in the system. if you don't need a lot of storage space take the primary drive out of your current pc and install an ssd it'll last you a couple more years it will seem that much faster.