Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone direct me either to a previous thread or other, good website with instructions on how to zero in a new sight?

I have a basic red dot sight that i want to use as a replacement for the factory sights. I understand the fundamentals of how to install the sight, how you turn both knobs for windage & elevation, and that you have to pick a certain distance to use for calibration. but i just want to be clear on the step by step.

PLUS, I'M WONDERING: DO YOU NEED SOME SORT OF GUN REST TO HOLD/STABILIZE THE GUN IN ORDER TO ACCURATELY ZERO IN THE SIGHT? that's somethign that i haven't figured out yet. i'm imagining that you need one in order to cut down on human error and such. i'm a newbie shooter so i don't have total confidence in the consistency of my firing skills. i'm worried that the shots may be off NOT cause the sight's off but because i am.

thanks for help!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Go to Wal-Mart, drop $30 and buy a boresighter. Its a hell of a tool. I bought one to zero my scope. Was so happy and went and checked all my guns, all mu buddy's. Its worth the investment.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Go to Wal-Mart, drop $30 and buy a boresighter. Its a hell of a tool. I bought one to zero my scope. Was so happy and went and checked all my guns, all mu buddy's. Its worth the investment.
+1, I use the laser boresighter on all of my weapons with barrels long enough to use it. Major time/ammo saver.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I sold a 995 recently that had a red-dot on it, I think you mentioned you wanted to put a dot on yours, mine had a smaller recticle on it to not to look as soda can-ish on the top of it, I left the front hooded sight on mine and basically lined it up with that....thinking in my head is this where I would be aiming if I still had the peep on here. got it REAL close in my living room with out a boresighter...wish I had one though because I have 3 other guns that have scopes either waiting to go on or aren't aligned yet. Good luck and hope this helps a little. Oh yeah I also have problems with red-dots and by leaving the front sight on It was kind of making my dot like a lollipop, I liked it, I knew where it was supposto be everytime for some reason I dont knowwhy, but when i move my head around it throws reddots off.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Without a bore sighter, you will need some type of rest (sandbags are good).

Use the sandbags to make sure it's steady.

aim at the center of the target, take 3 - 6 shots, take your time with each one to make sure you are taking each shot exactly the same way
with the same sight picture.

check the target, you should have a grouping. Make adjustments to the sight and repeat until you get it to hit center.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts