Interested in a thoughts on a C9

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by nuggetshooter, Apr 30, 2014.

1. I am thinking about purchasing a C9 to go to my local range with. I jus want a simple reliable gun to go shooting with at a small indoor range that is about 2 miles from my house. I have a Springfield XD9 for my carry gun, but would like a gun to shoot at the range that will absorb some recoil as I have had bilateral carpal tunnel surgery and my hands need protection from abuse as much as possible. I love my XD, but after a while its light weight gets to my hands. Also any thoughts on the 3.5 inch barrel as to accuracy? I shot a Smith and Wesson 45 over the weekend, and I really enjoyed the heft, the barrel length (4.5 inches) and the accuracy. But the cost of ammo would make it difficult to justify for the number of times I go to the range each week (3-4). Any thoughts on who I should purchase from for a good price? I am not opposed to a used one as long as it has not been abused. I have homes in both CA and AZ. Thanks to all in advance for replies.

2. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

Under 200 new. Under 160 new if you are being treated fair. Around 100 used. If you find a killer deal on a used one, some can be had for around 50 bucks but likely won't work, it's no big deal. HP will fix it good as new for the price of shipping it too them.

3. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

My hi point 40 has less recoil than my ruger p95 and is more Acurate. 40sw shells cost a lil more than 9mm though.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

4. Like Duster said new less than $200 pretty easy. I paid $171 with tax for my c9 a few weeks ago great little pistols.

Used is nothing to worry about they will repair them for free so just need to ship it back and wait 2-3 weeks. But most people around here want as much for a used one as you can buy a new one.

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    It's a fixed barrel, so it's plenty accurate

This is a flash sight mag dump from 10 yards.

[​IMG]

This was sighting in the C9 COMP with the 4" barrel. That's 6 shots in the middle

[​IMG]

This is the .380 Comp at 10 yards. 8 shots, slow aimed, unsupported

[​IMG]

Your other option, and a GREAT way to have fun but save your hand, would be a 995 Carbine, they can be very accurate with the right ammo.
    This is 25 yards standing, unsupported, with two types of ammo.

[​IMG]

6. j_inmon

j_inmon Member

Just make sure if its an indoor range they allow you to shoot a 995. I know the range I go to has restrictions on the caliber size for a riffle.

7. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

I think you'll love the C9 for range trips. I know I do. In fact, I'm itching to get back to the range. I will say, though, since I bought my JCP 40 I love that even more than the 9. Yes, ammo is a bit more expensive. Not as bad as .45 but still more than the 9mm. But I really enjoy shooting the .40 more. I think it is due to the size and wight, but I just love it.

In fact, if I had a carry gun, I'd sell my C9 in a heart beat, and probably will when I have the money to put with it to get a carry gun. I carry my C9 frequently, and while it isn't bad, I would prefer somethign a bit better.

As far as where to find one, here you go - http://hi-pointfirearms.com/dealer_locator/dealer_locator.html That's Hi Point's dealer locator. It's how I found my C9 and JCP 40. You can probably get a new 9 for as cheap as $130 to as much as $200 depending on your areas. As mentioned, if you find a good deal on used, have no fears due to the warranty. If it is in pretty rough shape or don't want to do repairs yourself, factor in the cost of having to ship it to Hi Point for repairs. SO

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I thought about that too...the .40 (Model JCP) and .45 (Model JHP) have extremely little recoil, even less than the C9.

9. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Yeah, when I got the .40 I took both to the range. Naturally, being new, I shot the .40 first. After 50 rounds, I fired some of the 9. I was surprised that the 9 has more noticeable, perceived, whatever recoil. I never really though the 9 was bad before that. I think I only shot 32 rounds of the 9mm and called it a day.

10. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    So now the bad news. Being a blow back design, Hi-Points are prone to ejection and feed failures if you don't keep a firm grip and allow the recoil to control your shot (Limp Wristing). Don't know if this will be a problem for you.

11. I love my c9 out of the three hi points I own it is the best never had one issue with this gun well worth the small price tag. I only paid 160 after tax and registration so you shouldn't pay to much more than that new. They are also offering a security package with steel lock box for around 200 bucks

12. Paid $210 out the door for a new C9 with spare mag. Out of the box at 15yds put a full mag in a silver dollar circle. Carry it daily, very reliable. Also Mom has the best customer service and warranty of any manufacturer I have dealt with.

13. nadodave

nadodave the Great Member

I would buy it in Arizona and not CA. Pretty sure it will be cheaper.

14. raubvogel

raubvogel Member

To the OP, see if someone here lives near you. This way both of you can go on the range together so you can try a HP. You will find many ranges will not have any HP in the rental session of the store.

15. But you will pay between $80.00 and $120.00 for the FFL deal if you live in Ca.

16. nadodave

He said he has homes in both places, so I was thinking he could buy it as an AZ resident. Not too sure how that works though, I think you have to claim one state as your first home.

17. If I had a AZ. ID I'd buy it there also. Don't know if I would keep it in Ca. though.

18. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    If you live in Cali, and needed it in Cali, it would be nice to have it in Cali...;)

I'm also curious, if he's a part time resident, can he buy guns in AZ and take them to CA, as long as they meet the laws about capacity and safety? If he can, does he then have to register it or anything?

If he has an AZ ID, does he have any gun rights in CA? If he has a CA ID, can he buy a handgun in AZ, without shipping to a CA FFL?

So many ways to get screwed in that deal.:(

19. nadodave

You have to register it if you are in Cali for more than a certain number of day. 30 or 60 I think. Otherwise, you are just visiting and it doesn't bed to be registered, just has to meet the laws.

Naturally, I trust you will not take my word for any of this!!

20. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Hey, until I make the mistake of entering Cali, your word is good enough for me.:p