Interesting oddities about your city or town?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Browning 9 Guy, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

Lots of folks here on the forum don't post their cities/towns, etc of residence (don't really know why). Anyhow, if there's anything novel or unique about where you live, please consider sharing this.

Fort Worth, well, uh uh, oh I know -- we're just 15 miles or so from the Ranger's new stadium. And the Old North Main Street, up north of downtown still has a doggoned good bit of an Old West appearance. It's worth the drive.

Anyone else?

2. cope

cope Member

nothing unique about where I live....... well maybe 1 thing

if everyone in town had a family reunion on the same day..... the population would grow to 300 and they would be held at 2 houses

3. bluharley

bluharley Member

Nothing unique here, one Florida town looks just like the next. I call it the stucco state.

4. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Barbecue....... Affordable housing, and good school systems. (Not including KC school district)..... I'm 15 miles east of KC on I-70.
    I work in Independence MO, which is the home of Harry S. Truman, and the start of the Santa Fe, California, and Oregon trails.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  5. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

We have Lake Cascade, which the state record for the largest yellow perch was broken for the 2nd year in a row here. It has a surface area of 47 square miles (122 km2), and is the fourth largest lake or reservoir in the state. We also have Kelly's Whitewater Park on the Payette River.

http://www.kellyswhitewaterpark.com/

6. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Church steeple was hit by lightning a few years back. That was cool. Now the next town to the north? Well they were the Springfield that was chosen to host the premier of the Simpsons Movie. And one town west there's a house that was built on Extreme Home Makeover. Neglected and overgrown now.

7. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Sneaky way trying to find out where everybody lives huh......? ;)

My town is famous for thunderstorms and sunsets....... ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1410922884.400260.jpg

8. Where I live, Bury St. Edmunds, has England's first lit street sign in the center of town, the "Pillar of Salt," which was installed in 1935. Not to far from it is a hotel where Charles Dickens would often stay.
    But the best thing is a few miles down the road in Culford is an estate I drive by every day going to work which was owned by the Cornwallis family (who were Earls). This includes Charles Cornwallis, whose surrender at the Battle of Yorktown is usually marked as the end of hostilities during the American Revolution.

9. talex22

talex22 Member

My city has the most bars on a signs street out of any city in the u.s and there is a law on the books hat says it's illegal to worry a squirrel.. That's about all I got

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    My town was named Dora, then Theodore, with the next town being Roosevelt. People got tired of being called "Teddy", so they changed it again, but no one knows for sure where the name Duchesne came from.
    I mean, the town was named for the river that runs through. But why was the river named the Duchesne? It was named by William H. Ashley--possibly for a Catholic nun in St. Louis, or for a French-Canadian trapper, or after a Ute Indian word. But no one is certain.

Another funny thing, our school team mascot is the Eagles. But we have no eagles, instead, we have large flocks of turkey buzzards that glide over the bluffs and canyon walls that create nice thermals.

11. Liberty

Liberty Shhh! Lifetime Supporter

I live exactly one block from the point on earth over which the most coal passes every day. I also live less than a block from Michael W. Smith's childhood home (my wife's granny bought it from his parents and owned it until her death two years ago).

12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I do. But, I want people to be able to find me.

For most folks, it's a personal security thing. They don't want to advertise to internet stalkers or thieves.

Wright-Patterson Air Force Base and the National Museum of the United States Air Force.

[​IMG]

And ME, of course. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

13. Hermitt

Wiki is claiming that those French Canadian trappers named Duchesne.....

14. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Sure, maybe..but where did the word come from? Some nun, or the Ute word for "dark canyon"?

15. Back2School

Back2School Member

LOL I am too nomadic to say I have a hometown :(

I have lived in a city that once was the temporary capitol of the US.

I have lived in a place know for oranges and translated means "Potato eating place"

I have lived in a Navy Community and an Army community and never been a service member, nor have my parents or spouses.

I have lived in a "weird" place supposedly known for its live music.

I now live in a place I am stil learning about...

16. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

So you used to live in Austin

17. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Always wanted to see the AF museum, everyone I know that has been there says it is so cool

18. Hermitt

It appears to be a French surname..... ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchesne

19. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Peoria, got it's name from the Piwarea Tribe of the ILL Indian Confederation. "Peoria" was the French translation. It was originally named Fort Clark.

20. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It completely nukes the Smithsonian air & space in D.C.

I went there thinking it'd be awesome and, when compared to the USAF museum, I was kinda, "meh."

They even have the YF-12 Interceptor and an SR-71 as well as a hanger full of former AF1's.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014