Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this in but in the near future I plan to introduce a young woman to the fun and wonderful world of shooting, She has no experience at all, is apprehensive of firearms right now but is willing to learn. I was wondering if anyone had any advice to throw at me how to go about this?

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
Use a .22 cal. Try to avoid anything that looks "tactical" or like too much of a killing machine. Something with a wooden stock, perhaps. And depending on what your goal is, you could even go with a bolt-action to make them less "dangerous."

Basically, avoid stuff that has heavy recoil, and try to not make it look violent.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Took my girlfriend this past Monday. She had shot with me once before, but only a tubular magazine .22lr rifle. She was nervous at first, but only because of the "volume." After watching me shoot everything, she stepped up to the plate. I basically stood behind her (bracing) for every first shot and then she took it from there. She shot the .22 Magnum, .357 Magnum (.38spl rounds) and Taurus PT 24/7 9mm which had the most kick. She wouldn't tough the M4, though.

Be patient, honest and teach her CORRECTLY. Remember that this may be extremely scary to her and let her warm up to it before you throw an AK-47 in her hand :tongue2:

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
Be patient, honest and teach her CORRECTLY. Remember that this may be extremely scary to her and let her warm up to it before you throw an AK-47 in her hand :tongue2:
+1 on the correctly thing. if nothing else, stress safety more than anything. its best to learn it right the first time

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hopefully this is helpful.

My 14 YO daughter liked to go to the range with me but wasn't comfortable shooting. Short story is I bought her one of those inexpensive 1911 Air-Soft pistols and used that to train her and let her shoot in the backyard. That got her comfortable. For Christmas last year I bought her a Walther P22 and professional lessons.

Branth is RIGHT on the money ~ "Try to avoid anything that looks "tactical" or like too much of a killing machine. Something with a wooden stock, perhaps." She didn't want the P22 (OK, new toy for me, lol) but of all things wanted to shoot the S&W 38sp with wood grips. Huh?!?!?!

What I did then was load one round and had her cycle the pistol not knowing when it would go off. I also held my arm over hers in case the recoil was too much for her. Shoot (pun intended) it didn't take long at all for her to get the hang of it! Now she will shoot anything I have but is still preferential to the .38 We went two weeks ago and she took on my XD-45. I did the same thing~start with only one round in the mag and work up.

Disclaimer:I'm NOT suggesting that your female friend has the mind of a 14 YO! :embarrassed2:

Cheers
WR2

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
When I met my wife in 2001, I had just gone through a divorce from my first wife and had to sell my gun collection. So while my second wife (then girlfriend) and I were courting, I told her of my love for the gun hobby, and while at the moment I didn't have any guns, I would be getting into it again some day and if she wasn't "cool" with that then we would just have to be friends.

She said OK...

Fast foreward to 2007, I come home one day and told the wife I had just put a JHP on layaway at the LGS. She had this look of horror on her face like "OMG! It just happened!". Once I got it home she got over it but was still skiddish around the subject. Once she realized how inexpencive it was she was even cooler about it.

Then one day this past March I brought home a CF380 for her. It sat for almost 4 months before we got to take it out for the first time and shoot it. We were at a 4th of July party at a friend's house last month, and I took a few shots with her 380. I liked it alot. Then I let her try it out. She had never shot anything other than a BB-Gun before. She took aim and on the first shot was only 1.5 inches from center on the target at about 25 feet.

She emptied the magazine and turned back and looked at me with a big grin and said "this is fun!".

She didn't do too bad.

Now if I go to the range without her she gets upset.

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
Now if I go to the range without her she gets upset.
I hope I get the same happy ending... ;D

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've always had guns, and my wife didn't mind as long as I didn't try to encourage her to shoot them. I had my CC and carried all the time, with all the shootings and crazies doing their things in schools, and colleges, one day she said I want to learn to shoot. I sat up a target in the garage, and started with a BB air rifle, how to use the sights etc., then got my Ruger Single Six, loaded with CB caps, and she did great. All this in a 2 hr time frame, teaching safety and being very patient. She tried every gun I had and bought her own S&W K38 Masterpiece because she liked the way it handled, and she was good with it. A month later she was enrolled in an NRA CC course, and got her CC permit, but the 38 was to big to carry, (she is small) so she came across the PT22 which she could operate all by herself (tip-up barrel) and it fit nicely in her carry purse. (She had trouble trying to rack the slides on my auto's). We go shooting a lot, and she loves it and feels much more secure. I'm retired, and she will be retireing in 2 mo. so shooting is one hobby near the top of our list to enjoy. Jim <><

·
Premium Member
142 Posts

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
+1 on a .22 and after watching outdoor channel and the suppressor shoot they had in Georgia, I would try to get one for another smaller caliber gun. Have fun, be patient, encourage, and praise.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hrm all great advice. I'll have to dig up a deagle for her to start on. lol. Seriously though now that I think about it I don't own much that doesn't look very tactical. The 22's I have one is a 1022 with a black tapco stock, the other is a 22/45 mk3 all blued with firesights on it... lotsa fun. I have a buddy with a mk3 in stainless might try that. I showed her the charter arms pink lady and now all of a sudden she wants to shoot :) It might be an excuse to get a charter arms 38 snubby for myself so she can feel the actual gun before I get her the pink lady cause that is one gun I wouldn't wana add to my collection lol.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Just a thought, but many new shooters (and older ones too) enjoy reactive targets...doesn't have to be expensive or anything fancy, but if the range allows, setting up some cans to try to knock over, or a bunch of balloons on a piece of cardboard, can make things more fun and less intimidating than shooting bullseye targets.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah I was thinking going out in the country and putting like a thick coffee can on a post, I have some shootnc to if I can rememberr what I did with them right now lol. I love the balloon idea though, alot.

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
Start saving milk cartons or soda cans. I'd full up old milk cartons and pop them with my .223, and it made a satisfying pop. No guarantee that the .22 woud pop it, but if you were to fill up a soda can with water...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts