Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm old, and new to the whole gun thing. Is .380 just the new, hip term for .38?

And what's the need for .40? Seems 9mm and .45 would cover most needs.

I'm board and curious.

Thanks,
-Spiker

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
The .38 Special is properly a revolver cartridge, much longer than the .380 acp and the .38 is rimmed. The .380 acp is properly an auto-loading pistol cartridge, rimless and much shorter than the .38. The .380 is actually a .9mm short with a diameter of approx. .355 to .356" while the .38 Special is closer to .357" in diameter. The .38 tends to be more powerful than the standard .380 acp.
.40 is pretty much a 10mm. I like my .40 because of the power compared to a 9mm. I don't like the higher priced ammo though! Let's face it if you were a burglar , about to catch a hollow point in the chest... would it really matter if it was a 9mm or a .40?

·
Banned
401 Posts
I just spent 5 days at a sportsman show last weekend, and had the US Border Patrol, right across the walkway from us, so the subject of guns came up quite often, they are all carrying the .40 now a days, at least up this way and out of the 5 there, all 5 said they liked the extra knock down power of the .40 over the 9mm as well as a bit less weight and more control ability than the .45, I am currently lusting after a .40, seems to be the best compromise for what I want...I live in Bear and Cougar country and would like the extra punch over the 9mm, I know it sure made a difference when I went to a .357 over the .38 I used to carry and the sectional profile of the .40 is even better..

Just my .02

Dp

·
Gun Fanatic
830 Posts
hey ya,

Just FYI, it's 9mm, .9mm does not exist.

I shoot the .40S&W out of my pistol and I love the caliber, I shoot 9mm out of my carbine and it's almost like shooting a .223 rifle.

·
Banned
401 Posts
hey ya,

I shoot the .40S&W out of my pistol and I love the caliber, I shoot 9mm out of my carbine and it's almost like shooting a .223 rifle.
Wow,

One period in the wrong place and it gets caught! Yikes, don't mis-speak around here, you will get called on the carpet...I just read all of the messages and only see one period in the wrong place...

Geeze

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
The .40S&W isn't just favoured for it's "Knockdown" ability (and it does carry a bit of force to it), but the round also is designed to hit and STAY in a subject alot more than a 9mm or other type of tapered round.  The bullet was designed for the FBI after they discovered that 9mm was ineffective in some situations because the velocity combined with the tapered shape traditionally seen on most bullets carried the round PAST the target, minimizing the damage and potentially endangering other subjects in the area.  The .40S&W is a forceful round that ALSO carries a sharper drop-off in velocity over an extended range as well as it's distinctive "snubbed" shape, making it perfect for a defence round where shot placement is important but overpenetration is just as much a key factor.

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
another note on teh 40 S&W. it was developed at the request of teh FBI after they adopoted the 10mm and found out that most agents could not properly control it nor shoot with any accuracy. 10mm aficianados like me call it "10mm lite" or 40 short and wimpy" as all it is a shortened 10mm case. it allows a gun manufactuer to have a pistol with 9mm dimensions shooting a 10mm diameter bullet. compact pistol size allowes better control over a wider range of shooters and other advantages. while it is a good compromise between power and controlaability there are sme inherent problems. the round is alomst always loaded right at the SAAMI pressure limit to icrease knockdown power. the infamous glock 40 KB is partially a result of this and partially a result of the design of glock taking a 9mm frame and slide and stuffing a 40 cal barrel in it.

SW

·
Registered
49 Posts
the 38 special is a .357 diameter bullet with a longer case than the 9mm luger and can be around 160 grain the luger is a .356 diameter slug by 19mm case and bullets max out at 147 grain ,, the 380 is a .356 bullet by 17mm case and max out around 110 grain ..... the .40 is .401 diameter bullet and can be upto 200 grains but the .45 is the biggest and the bullets can get as big or bigger than 300 grains but i like 230 grain bullets in mine..

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
I just spent 5 days at a sportsman show last weekend, and had the US Border Patrol, right across the walkway from us, so the subject of guns came up quite often, they are all carrying the .40 now a days, at least up this way and out of the 5 there, all 5 said they liked the extra knock down power of the .40 over the 9mm as well as a bit less weight and more control ability than the .45, I am currently lusting after a .40, seems to be the best compromise for what I want...I live in Bear and Cougar country and would like the extra punch over the 9mm, I know it sure made a difference when I went to a .357 over the .38 I used to carry and the sectional profile of the .40 is even better..

Just my .02

Dp
Bear and Cougar country ? Dude, stick with FULL power .357 Most sell medium load .357 but full power will bring it down (Over $1.50 per shot though). Then I would pick up a .357 carbine rifle just to be on the better side of caution. If you are serious about bears, I would carry nothing less than a 30.06 and would probably make that a 7MM MAG like the Browning semi auto. As always, this is IMHO

·
Banned
401 Posts
Well, I also have a mossberg 500 sitting by the door with slugs in it, I also carry bear spray and have used it with good results in the past on Grizz, but during bow season I would like to keep a side arm with me on the off chance, believe me it is not fear that motivates me, just good common sense, black bears don't bother me, but where I live, we also have some pretty big grizzlies. The only one out of the three that I don't like is Mt. Lions, them suckers are to sneaky for me...and I have taken one with a .22 but would like the punch of a bit more, just in case it is needed.

Dp

·
Registered
476 Posts
Why chance it at all in bear country .. A .357 should be the least powerfull round used for droping a bear in its tracks .. Usually a .44mag or .45acp is the standard side arm while bear hunting . I know there is an outfit in Alaska that lends out hi-point .45acp's to all there bear hunters as a back-up .

·
Banned
401 Posts
Why chance it at all in bear country .. A .357 should be the least powerfull round used for droping a bear in its tracks .. Usually a .44mag or .45acp is the standard side arm while bear hunting . I know there is an outfit in Alaska that lends out hi-point .45acp's to all there bear hunters as a back-up .
Because where I live, you shoot a Grizz, you better be able to show the damage to your body, as they are considered an endangered species, and I can tell you a .357 mag, will not drop a bear in its tracks.

Dp

G

·
The .38 Special is properly a revolver cartridge, much longer than the .380 acp and the .38 is rimmed. The .380 acp is properly an auto-loading pistol cartridge, rimless and much shorter than the .38. The .380 is actually a .9mm short with a diameter of approx. .355 to .356" while the .38 Special is closer to .357" in diameter. The .38 tends to be more powerful than the standard .380 acp.
.40 is pretty much a 10mm. I like my .40 because of the power compared to a 9mm. I don't like the higher priced ammo though! Let's face it if you were a burglar , about to catch a hollow point in the chest... would it really matter if it was a 9mm or a .40?
arent there rifles out there that take .38 and or 375...would they use the same as a revolver round or do they make rifle rounds for them?

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
arent there rifles out there that take .38 and or 375...would they use the same as a revolver round or do they make rifle rounds for them?
There are lever action ( and some pumps) carbine chambered for .38 and .357. They take the standard revolver ammo. Same concept as the C9 and 995 except for revolver ammo.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Perhaps the best example I have EVER read to describe the performance of the .40S&W. In fact I liked your description so much I may even buy one if I find a good deal. (Say on a hi-point :p )

I hope other people here feel the same way. Definitely saw some reasoning I didn't see before.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
hey ya,

Geee GrOuNd_ZeRo, did you actually think that was a period in front of 9mm? Nope it was a bullet hole from my .40!!!
Sorry, it was not intentional. :D

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Wow,

One period in the wrong place and it gets caught! Yikes, don't mis-speak around here, you will get called on the carpet...I just read all of the messages and only see one period in the wrong place...

Geeze
Wouldn't/Shouldn't that be misspell? After all, we aren't actually speaking on her anyway.
;) :p :-X :thinking: :tongue2: :nerdystraight: :woow: :grinwink:

·
Banned
401 Posts
Wow,

Geeze
Wouldn't/Shouldn't that be misspell? After all, we aren't actually speaking on her anyway.
;) :p :-X :thinking: :tongue2: :nerdystraight: :woow: :grinwink:

Double slap!

LOL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts