Is a 1/8 in punch OK to remove the pin for disassembly?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by Browning 9 Guy, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

I was all set to disassemble (remove slide from frame) my JCP when I noticed the 1/8 in punch I bought at Wallyworld for that purpose seemed too wide. Checking round the Net, it seems that 3/32 is the correct diameter. WW has no punches in that diameter. What do you guys use to remove the pin? Help cause I'm lost here!

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I use a 3/32 hex wrench, the short side to start, longer side if needed once it's moved some.

3. Browning 9 Guy

Thanks

OK thanks. You rescued my HP disassembly & cleaning project.

4. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    A nail works in a pinch.

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    So, a nail can be a punch, in a pinch.

6. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

Yes, a nail can be a punch, in a pinch; but, it works best if you lubricate it with some punch from the punchbowl, and make sure you don't get pinched.

7. jcwit

jcwit Member

Being a former machinist, I believe in using the correct tool for the job. Most any hardware store worth its salt should be able to supply you with the correct size punch.

8. Browning 9 Guy

Thanks

Thanks for the info! A Bud Ice and a nail used as a punch in a pinch worked out swell.

9. tim

tim Member

ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1414895037.634734.jpg ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1414895065.376250.jpg I bought a 3/32 punch from our Mac Tool dealer, about $12, then I stopped one day at Harbor Freight & got a set of 8 for about $6. Not as good as the Mac one, but plenty good enough to drive out the pins in a Hi Point. Their are 3-4 different pins in the pistol, just in case you need to completely strip it down, you'll have the right tools & not damage anything trying to use a nail