Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my dreams has been to own a Walther P1 (the P.C. name given to the old Nazi P38 after the end of WWII).
Like an HP, some knock it as ugly, but, like an HP, I like the looks.
While checking out what was available locally, I saw a (used) Walther P1 in the Big Box sporting goods store for $300.
I realize that any time you buy at a Big Box you generally overpay, but does this seem close to a fair price?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
One of my dreams has been to own a Walther P1 (the P.C. name given to the old Nazi P38 after the end of WWII).
Like an HP, some knock it as ugly, but, like an HP, I like the looks.
While checking out what was available locally, I saw a (used) Walther P1 in the Big Box sporting goods store for $300.
I realize that any time you buy at a Big Box you generally overpay, but does this seem close to a fair price?

Thanks.
I think that's a pretty good price these days. Here's a couple of links for under $300 from GunBroker, but if you get them it'll add up that much with shipping, transfer fees, etc.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=121071051
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=121144509
If you like the pistol you see, you might as well buy it.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
That's not a bad price by any reasonable standard. The post WW2 German Army models are very well made and almost faultless in function. The don't like heavy bullets as far as accuracy goes, but function just fine.

Ron M

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
You talkin at Gander Mtn, I am also looking at picking one up at that price, they used to be available for the low $200's online less than a year ago but I no longer see them at the suppliers that used to have them. If you get one at the big box, look for one with the hex bolt that was retrofitted to reinforce the frame, it is just behind the slide release lever. Out of the six I saw at Gander only one had the hex bolt the last time I was there.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, that'd be the store. I'm glad to hear its a decent price.

It sounds like its a model they tend to keep around, which would be very good for me as I am still in process of CCW license, and can't pick anything up for however long *that* process takes.

I didn't notice if either of the two had the hex bolt - I was stealing time just to cruise the counter. I'll have to go back and look.

Thanks, guys!

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Don't know much about the pistol...but LOVE the look! Guess that's why I like HP's :embarrassed2:

But...DUDE!!!!! That paratrooper SKS for $299?? :yes: Me WANT!! That is SO cool!

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Don't know much about the pistol...but LOVE the look! Guess that's why I like HP's :embarrassed2:

But...DUDE!!!!! That paratrooper SKS for $299?? :yes: Me WANT!! That is SO cool!
When I checked with Omega they were out of stock on all the cool stuff on their site. The SKS, in all versions, have been gone for quite some time. If you like something on their site, be sure and call.

·
Registered
127 Posts
What to expect from a p1/p38:

Long, hard, but smooth and consistent DA first pull. SA pull breaks like a thin glass straw :D They are remarkably accurate for an older pistol, despite their reputation. Can be stripped in about 10 seconds to basic parts. Advise replacing the recoil springs(there are two - a small one on each side, instead of a central spring like most guns - with new production. Having two springs means that they won't necessarily wear at the same rate. Overengineered in a way - if one weakens, the other can take up part of the job for a while.

Don't shoot hot loads in them. Remington UMC is borderline. Anything less than that is fine. The frames are older aluminum alloy and will crack under the strain of hotter modern ammo. Your mileage will vary with anything other than FMJ, remember it is a military pistol designed for military ammo, NOT a police pistol as many sellers erroneously claim. German police never carried the P1.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Define "too hot," please.
I was figuring standard velocity 115-124gr FMJ was what it was going to be fed, with the possible addition of same-weight-area Hollow Point for self defense if, and only if, it decided it would eat them reliably. This was to be a BBQ/range fun gun, but I want to be able to shoot it without breaking it!

·
Registered
127 Posts
It was designed for 9mm loads around 1,100fps, and that was the steel framed P38 which can handle more pressure. If you have a steel framed P38, or a P1 with the hex bolt retrofit, they can handle a bit hotter loads. If not, try to refrain from loads exceeding 1,100fps. The hex bolt addition is a direct result of the problems you could face otherwise.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are you sure about that 1100 fps?
Every load I look at shows more than 1100fps, with the exception of the 147gr subsonics.
Heck, standard ball 115gr FMJ shows ~1150 fps, with 124gr it drops to 1120-1130.

Please tell me the limit is higher than 1100! Avoiding +P is easy, but staying under 1100 may be the next thing to impossible.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Just stick to mil spec 115gr loads. you will not have any troubles. That's what the P-1 was designed for.

Ron M.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK. That's easy. Mil-spec looks to be 115gr @ 1150-1180fps, which range seems to cover most of the "standard" loadings from pretty well everyone - Remington/UMC, Winchester, Federal (at least American Eagle), Blazer, even Wolf and Bear.

Whew!
I was afraid I was going to have to take a miss on the gun because I couldn't feed it!

EDIT: It looks like the Europeans load a *lot* hotter than we do. Standard loads from Fiocchi and S&B clock at 1250+fps. I guess I'll have to buy domestic makers (or the Russian stuff) for this.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts