Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
quick question, i have made 2 connectors out of a unknown to me metal that is easily soldered and wanted to know if it is highly conductive.

now i grabbed an old battery pack i no longer use and soldered 2 loose wires to it with only about .5" exposed and touched each wire to one of the stock connectors and it made a small spark, but when i touched it to the connector i made it made l much larger spark, does that mean the new connectors are more conductive?

i tried looking it up on Google but haven't found an answer yet.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
You need to up your nerd level dude... seriously - What kind of person has a soldering iron/gun and doesn't have a voltmeter, ohm meter, circuit tester, and such?

This metal that was easily soldered... you talking about the solder itself or the metal that had the solder applied to it? Solder itself isn't the best conductor, but is great for fastening metal to metal.

Can you post a pic?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im saying its easy to solder wire to the piece of metal, i tries aluminum but the solder would just roll off. also i have a volt tester thing but its not digital and not really precise.

yes i did study graphic design in college :tongue2:

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
Hit your local Harbor Freight store, they have useable digital voltmeters starting around $3. Not NASA quality, obviously, but they seem to be accurate enough for most jobs.

If your analog meter has an ohms setting, check the resistance of the piece compared to the copper wire. Even if it is inaccurate the difference in needle sweep should be obvious if the stuff is high resistance.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have a quick question, where can i find 24ga. silver sheets? i am going to use silver and i went to michael's but all i could find was paper like silver sheets, was i not looking hard?

also can i use regular 60/40 clear flux solder to solder silver to copper wire?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
@ Michaelbuj

With regards to the broken part you show in the picture great job fabricating the ring terminal. If that doesn't work most electronics wholesalers or Fry's Electronics sell them invarious sizes.

As far a 60/40 or eutectic solder it is a good connector between base metals from a conduction standpoint. But should never be used for strength. It is also not advisable as a conductor between moving contact surfaces. (Solder is too soft and tarnishes quickly.) A Crimp butt splice , tinned leads with j hook or various other methods are used for strength at point of movement or electical joints.

With regards to your last question. Is the sheet your going to be using solid silver or simply silver plated? If plated what is the base metal?

PM me with what you are trying to accomplish or repair and I can assist you.

Walt

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Thanks Again SW. I'm from the laser era. So never got into airsoft. Blanks, Belts, real AR15, etc.

Well if it's just the connections at the folding stock then it should not be to difficult to repair. The OP may want to use flexi circuit if there is room instead of terminal connectors at the folding point.

Walt

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@ walt4595- im trying to fix the connectors on my aeg, yes its a folding stock and there is no room for any other type of connector. in fact the reason it broke was because the wires were to thick and after extending my stock(mk16) it riped out, but i found a way to make it work i just need new connectors. i would buy from the company but it will take 2-3weeks and i need to fix it by next sunday.im not using the solder for strength or on the contact surface, just to keep the wire in place and improve the connection(from wire to connector).
this is what im going to buy- http://www.ottofrei.com/store/product.php?productid=18766&cat=3466&page=1
1 6"x1" sheet is all i need.

@siliconwolverine- not to sound offensive but since im typing it will sound offensive- i paid $420 for the base gun plus alot more in upgrades so it's not something i can just toss out :tongue2:

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
@ walt4595- im trying to fix the connectors on my aeg, yes its a folding stock and there is no room for any other type of connector. in fact the reason it broke was because the wires were to thick and after extending my stock(mk16) it riped out, but i found a way to make it work i just need new connectors. i would buy from the company but it will take 2-3weeks and i need to fix it by next sunday.im not using the solder for strength or on the contact surface, just to keep the wire in place and improve the connection(from wire to connector).
this is what im going to buy- http://www.ottofrei.com/store/product.php?productid=18766&cat=3466&page=1
1 6"x1" sheet is all i need.

@siliconwolverine- not to sound offensive but since im typing it will sound offensive- i paid $420 for the base gun plus alot more in upgrades so it's not something i can just toss out :tongue2:
You may have to braze the connections between the copper and silver plate. Hope your plan works out.

All I can say is for $420. They should have designed the crossover point for the power better. Definitely a point for reoccuring electrical / mechanical failure as designed. If I ever get one I know the first think I'd re-engineer on it.

Walt

Walt

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok, thanks for the help. but as a note the gun was designed fine its just whenever i try to modify something i usually break it then figure out how it works then fix it. the stock originally had 18ga silver wire and i thought it would be better to put in 16ga copper wire with thick tubing so the guns failure is my fault.

also do you think the silver i linked is strong enough and how do i/what is a brazed connector

1 - 18 of 18 Posts