Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. Be gentle but heres a Q&A

So say I buy his parts just for POOPS and giggles. The guy that got the 995 parts without reciever.

I have a perfectly good functioning 4095.

So I mate the 995 BBL to the 4095 stock Then Load 357.

Will this work?????

DEAD seriuose guys what is the take on this>>>>

All yhe info needed for a dumb question but with a Idea.

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
My first thought is that one round is rimmed and the other is rimless. I do not know what kind of problems you would have to over come there.

Second thought, the .357 is a longer casing and would that cause ejection problems?

Interesting proposal though :D

·
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My first thought is that one round is rimmed and the other is rimless. I do not know what kind of problems you would have to over come there.

Second thought, the .357 is a longer casing and would that cause ejection problems?

Interesting proposal though :D
HM. I have only shot a 357 so I know nothing about them. :?

Not a thing as bullet size, casing size ect. :?:

But I think it would be worth looking into. Well at least sounds worth it. :wink:

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
My bad, I forgot all about the sig round. Well GM do you think there is a possibility with the 357 SIG?

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
One problem w/ .357sig is potentially the pressures. However, the 995 IS rated for +p and +p+. 9mm(standard pressures) go up to ~33000 cup, Whereas .357sig goes up to ~38000 cup. So potentially you might could from that standpoint.

Then theres the issue of case diameter. The removal of chamber material to make it fit may cause enough of a reduction in strength to make it no longer safe for the higher pressures.

Also the .357 sig cartridge is significantly shorter than 9mm.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
One problem w/ .357sig is potentially the pressures. However, the 995 IS rated for +p and +p+. 9mm(standard pressures) go up to ~33000 cup, Whereas .357sig goes up to ~38000 cup. So potentially you might could from that standpoint.

Then theres the issue of case diameter. The removal of chamber material to make it fit may cause enough of a reduction in strength to make it no longer safe for the higher pressures.

Also the .357 sig cartridge is significantly shorter than 9mm.
It would have to be a swap btw the .40 and .357 sig. Most pistols that are chambered in one can switch to the other easily with just a barrel swap, the mags can even stay the same. I know Glocks and XDs can swap calibers between the 2 with just a barrel. I assume that is the 40 rifle can handle .357 sig pressures.

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
Uh oh. if gman is asking for clarification, rather than just saying "No", ideas may be percolating in his head :D
One can only hope farmkid!!! :wink:

·
1,806 Posts
wow I didn't think it would be that close. even if the barrel idea worked wouldn't there be extractor issues?

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
The physical problem I see is that they have different shaped cases/necks, and that is how a rimless cartridge seats for firing compared to a rimmed cartridge which uses the rim to seat for firing.

If that could be overcome, and the pressures are similar, who knows? :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sorry if I missed someone else saying this but I believe the 357 Sig is just a 40 S&W necked down to 9 mm. I would think this would be a fairly simple conversion.

Mike

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
It's possible but there would be a lot of work involved, Re-chambering to .357Sig, New Extractor, Bolt Face Modification, Spring rate, Bolt weight just so much work that its just not practical cost wise.
why is it just a simple barrel swap on glocks? they use the same extractor, slide, springs, etc...

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
Ya know, Gman, he's got a point. What do ya think? I can call a gunsmith friend of mine and ask him about it.... I think I will do that on Friday, I need to stop by his house and pick up some firing pins anyway.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts