Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it really illegal to make black powder to shoot in your own gun? If it is legal how much is an individual allowed to keep on hand?

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dude, just dew it.
I just try to be very open about what I do, and I don't want to do it if it really is a crime. It seems though, that if it really were a criminal act, as some have told me, they how to info would be a little harder to come by.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Delmar, if you just make it for yourself to use...I don't see any problem with it. If I didn't have any, I would be making it. I have been buying 1 lb bottles for around $6 a bottle at wal-mart. :yes:

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Delmar, if you just make it for yourself to use...I don't see any problem with it. If I didn't have any, I would be making it. I have been buying 1 lb bottles for around $6 a bottle at wal-mart. :yes:
Black powder at WallMart? or is it the "Fake" smokeless substitutes?

Real black powder is a class A Explosive and takes a special license (and powder magazine for storage) (Smokeless is considered flammable, not explosive) -

Not too many gun stores around here carry real black powder because of that, most only carry the smokeless substitutes.
Not really a problem if you are shooting a caplock, but a real problem with flintlocks. They need real black powder, as the pan flash is not hot enough to ignite the smokeless substitutes.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Hi drezac, it is the Hodgdon 777 FFg ones that I got at wal-mart. They also had them in pellets too. Here in MO. ML is only for 1 month out of the year. When wal-mart first puts them out, they are $29 buck for 1 lb bottles. 8)

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
triple 7 is a substitute. way more stable than real BP.

actuallly drezac real black powder is a class B explosive. class A are volitiles that may ignite from minor disturbances ie. nitrogen tri-iodide, nitroglycerine, diatmaceous earth dynamite etc. mostly explosives that arent used in this day and age.

most large stores carry a small amoujt of real black powder for the flintlock guys and the die hard BP fans. Oh an drezac is right on the part about having to have a magazine to store it in; in quanitity, but i dont think you need a special license for it. according to the BATFE the ten pound limit is where you need a "explosives magazine license".

SW

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
triple 7 is a substitute. way more stable than real BP.

actuallly drezac real black powder is a class B explosive. class A are volitiles that may ignite from minor disturbances ie. nitrogen tri-iodide, nitroglycerine, diatmaceous earth dynamite etc. mostly explosives that arent used in this day and age.

most large stores carry a small amoujt of real black powder for the flintlock guys and the die hard BP fans. Oh an drezac is right on the part about having to have a magazine to store it in; in quanitity, but i dont think you need a special license for it. according to the BATFE the ten pound limit is where you need a "explosives magazine license".

SW
Thanks for the correction - I don't know why I was thinking class A.. But of course, if a store has any selection, they will have over 10 pounds (if they stock ffff,fff,ff - anything over 3 of each would go over the 10 pounds)
and of course when I was doing civil war reenacting (artillery), we would easily have 200lb (sometimes it was in 25lb bulk bags) I thought they may need a special license, since a few years ago one of our local stores changed ownership, and shortly after the change I went in for black powder, and he told me they could not sell it until they had their new license due to the ownership change.

By the way, I am one of the die hard BP fans - substitute black powder just does not seem right (Kind of like having eggs and scrapple (veggie bacon substitue) instead of bacon and eggs - similar but not quite right..)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Scrapple? Scrapple is pork products mixed with a bit of cornmeal. Quite good with toast and eggs. Its like a pork loaf. Nothing like bacon at all.

But scrapple being a veggie product? Not the scrapple I ever ate. I misss scrapple from the east coast.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Scrapple? Scrapple is pork products mixed with a bit of cornmeal. Quite good with toast and eggs. Its like a pork loaf. Nothing like bacon at all.

But scrapple being a veggie product? Not the scrapple I ever ate. I misss scrapple from the east coast.
Either I am really missing something, or you posted that in the wrong thread.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts

Either I am really missing something, or you posted that in the wrong thread.
They are talking about real PB and fake PB. Real PB is the real bacon. Fake PB is the scrapple. The guys want real BP. That's all. ;)

·
Registered
207 Posts
I can get scrapple, I haven't seen real BP in years.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Walmart told me it is a seasonal item and they won't have it till winter. If I could have bought it for $6 this week instead of $18 I would have not asked the question.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Delmar, it took me about 3 years to figure out that is how wal-mart does it. Every end of Dec. I go into 3 super wal-marts and hunt down the BP stuff. Guess you could call me a HUNTER every Dec. to Jan. :embarrassed2:

Be very quiet...I'm hunting PBs. :grinwink:

·
Premium Member
188 Posts

I guess I got the name wrong - I could have sworn that the veggie bacon they used to sell around here was called scrapple, but after checking on the web, I could not find any reference to it -

1 - 20 of 137 Posts