Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm willing to bet this question will make the old timers roll their eyes and say "noob," but i've tried everything i could think of to find the answer before registering here and asking

i checked the instruction manual... did a google search... nothing!

since there's no way to de-cock the c9, i usually dry fire it before i put it away so the recoil spring doesn't wear out from having constant tension on it

what i want to know is, does dry firing damage the firing mechanism?

i just want to take the best care of my firearm possible (even though hi-point will fix it for free)

would appreciate any info you guys can give

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
The C9 has a firing pin spring installed over top of the firing pin. Most modern firearms are this way, to include the striker fired firearms like the S&W Sigma. It's perfectly fine to dry fire them, as long as you inspect the firing pin spring once you break down the gun for cleaning to make sure it's in good condition.

Personally, I dry fire all of my pistols to include my Desert Eagle. I haven't had any issues yet.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
The only semi-auto that has a real problem with this is rimfires. Doing it too often can cause the firing pin to flatten & cause misfires.

The real myth of this comes from the old style revolvers. They had a full length firing pin that could be damaged or break from dry firing.
Newer revolvers use a flat hammer that strikes a firing pin & they are also safe to dry fire occasionally.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Okay, I don't have the C-9 but I have the .380. They are both the same gun. Just not the same cal. Try not to dry fire any HP guns. If you have to...that is okay. I can understand if you are taking out the round in the chamber and dry fire it so the spring is not under tension. You could damage it. I know HP will fix it for free(You do have to pay the S/H costs to ship to HP). What I do is, I keep all my HP guns loaded, no springs are under tension, just ammo are in the mags. All I have to do is rack the slide or bolt and I'm ready. That is how I do it. :yes:

BTW, If I'm in the wrong...PLEASE let me know.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the quick responses!

i see there are some very knowledgeable folks on this forum

i will now go forth and dry fire with confidence :yay!:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Before you go to dry fire with confidence, I suggest you purchase some Snap-Caps (fake bullets with rubberized primers). Use the Snap-Caps in place of live ammunition, and you'll be doing your firing pin a favor.

Small price to pay for the Snap-Caps, but a big return on that investment by keeping your firearm in tip-top shape.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
SGT-MILLER just stated what I was meaning to state. :yes: SGT-MILLER is one smart person.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What i do is I take a pencil and put it down the barrel eraser side down this will let the firing pin strike the eraser but not cause damage

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
What i do is I take a pencil and put it down the barrel eraser side down this will let the firing pin strike the eraser but not cause damage
sme, that is a HECK of a good idea. I never thought of that. :no:

BTW, :welcome: Lots to learn on here. Great people in here. :yes:

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
WOW, that is a great Idea right there! Im going to add a #2 to the cleaning box tonight.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
It is a good idea, I've been using it for quite a while, and it's pretty cool to watch that pencil go flying if you don't hold onto it :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have been learning alot from this place!

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
outstanding idea... :yes: :yes: :welcome:

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Holy crap! Lots of good ideas! Can't wait to test some of them out, especially the snap caps and ...eraser?!?

Love this site!

If the government can take it away from you, then it's not a right!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have found Snap-Caps to be good not only for the dry fire aspect but also after you break down your gun and get it back together, you can make sure your pistol is assembled properly by making sure it loads, fires and ejects the Snap-Caps properly without the risk you have with live rounds in a unsafe area.

John

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
A gunsmith I was talking to said you can also just save a buck or two by putting a bit of masking tape over the back of a fired piece of brass and using that. I think he was talking for revolvers, mostly, though. Seems to me it might have a hard time feeding from a magazine...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts