Is it worth a trip to Ohio?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by TopGas, Feb 8, 2015.

1. TopGas

TopGas Member

I bought my 4095 TS back in 2010 not long after the TS version became available. Mine has the nut and bolt arrangement for securing the receiver shroud. It wasn't long before Hi Point came out with a pin and clip system. According to the tech I spoke with the other day, only about 1000 4095TS rifles without the pin and clip system were sent out. Conversion to the new system isn't an "end user" upgrade. (Many could probably do it but they don't send the parts out).
    I can see that the pin and clip system makes it easier to disassemble the gun for cleaning and maintenance but I don't tear the gun down after each use, so it hasn't been an issue.

My question would be, other than ease of disassembly/reassembly, is it worth sending the gun to Ohio for the factory upgrade? The technician did mention that they've had an issue with damage occurring to the receiver related to drilling the original holes out to fit the new pins. Of course, they would fix that if it occurred after they returned it to me but it would mean another trip East.

If easy take down is the only advantage, I'm thinkin' that I'll wait for a more critical issue that would require factory service and re-think the issue then.

It's looking like I'm answering my own question, but since I've typed all of this, I'll put it to the forum.
    TG

2. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

It sounds like you have a 1 of 1000 ts there, I would just leave it.
    Machomelvin will probably buy it from you when you don't want it anymore.
    That's one he probably doesn't have. Lol

3. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Since it's really not much of a PITA to disassemble, I'd keep it original for the rarity of it. But that's just me.