Is my rifle considered a pistol or other?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Kri, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Kri

Kri Member

Ok so, I purchased my Arsenal SLR107FR, hasn't shipped yet. It would be cool if someone knew about this, i'm not getting clear answers off the internet and the phone call answer wasn't too specific. This is for WISCONSIN BTW.

I'm 19, young as you know, and I wanted to just make sure that my rifle is going to be considered a rifle, and I will be able to actually take it home being under 21. It's the stupid crap like this.

My rifle's:
    Total Length (with muzzle brake): 937 mm (36 7/8 in.)
    • Folded Length (with muzzle brake): 695 mm (27 3/8 in.)
    • Barrel Length: 415 mm (16 1/4 in.)

With the folded length being 27 3/8 in, is that something I should be worried about? It's not about federal, it's the state. The state law document doesn't mention anything about folding stocks, at least from what I've seen. just the OAL. I had seen a statement earlier just by some random guy on a random forum that stated, "Some states have variations as well - for example, in Wisconsin if OAL when folded is under 30" then it is registered as a pistol."

It'd be awesome to get a clear answer, thanks guys!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  2. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Check your states website. Search for minimum rifle length.

3. planosteve

I just check your state's website and minimum overall length with the stock folded cannot be less than 26 inches the barrel length must not be less than 16 inches. See guys I didn't tell him to google it:)

4. Kri

Kri Member

I checked the Wisconsin state legislature doc, unless I'm not seeing it, I only seen:

941.28  Possession of short-barreled shotgun or short-barreled rifle.
    (1) In this section:
    (a) "Rifle" means a firearm designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder or hip and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of a propellant in a metallic cartridge to fire through a rifled barrel a single projectile for each pull of the trigger.
    (b) "Short-barreled rifle" means a rifle having one or more barrels having a length of less than 16 inches measured from closed breech or bolt face to muzzle or a rifle having an overall length of less than 26 inches.

5. planosteve

According to the results we both found and the dimension you provided you are legal in Wisconsin. By the way that is the federal definition also.

6. planosteve

Now go outside and don't shoot your eye out.:)

7. what_now

what_now Member

What you are asking and what you are researching are 2 different things. You are asking if a rifle with a folding stock is considered a rifle or a pistol in your state. What you are researching is short barreled rifle definitions. A short barreled rifle is still a rifle, not a pistol. Very few states categorize a rifle with a folding stick as a pistol. Since you ordered it online you should call the FFL where you will be picking it up and ask them if WI considers a folding stock rifle a rifle or a pistol.

8. Kri

Kri Member

Thanks guys, and what_now, you are correct, I was kind of mixing the two questions. I did call up my ffl and the guy said it is still considered a rifle. I just hate seeing invalid crap online when I also cannot find too much on the specific question.

And planosteve that's a 'her' to you ;)

9. talon

talon the banned wagon

You are perfectly legal federal and state wise. Most states use the 26" minimum length standard for a rifle, and to the best of my knowledge, all use the 16" barrel length standard.

10. talon

talon the banned wagon

And if it has a stock it is NOT a pistol in the eyes of the law. Its a rifle. A pistol, say a draco (ak47 pistol)....add a folding stock, now by law it is a rifle. A SBR to be exact and requiring a tax stamp, but a rifle none-the-less.

11. what_now

what_now Member

As with all state gun laws, the definition of "rifle" and "pistol" is determined by the state legislators. Take MI for instance: From what I have read, folding stock rifles and shotguns under 30" length folded are considered a pistol in MI and must be registered as a pistol. According to MI legislation a pistol can be any firearm 26 inches or less in total length.
    EDIT: Apparently prior to January 1, 2014 any rifle or shotgun under 30" total length (folded) was considered a pistol. After legislation was changed the length was dropped to 26" or less (folded).

Attached Files:

12. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

Confusing firearms laws FTW!
    Until a month ago, if you had a magazine that held more than 30 rounds in a normal, non-NFA firearm, it was considered a full automatic weapon in Ohio.

13. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Oh, Steve...

See?

[​IMG]

14. Kri

Kri Member

Ok so MI is all good now, and I haven't seen anything on that for WI.

15. planosteve

Say What? :eek:

16. planosteve

Sorry Kri, I did not know. I have trouble remember where I leave ammo let alone forum members genders. With the exception of Evil, who is a succubus. And MaryB, who is a really nice lady unless you pi$$ her off. By the way Mary how are you doing, is the neck feeling better.

17. Kri

Kri Member

LOL it's ok Steve :p

18. talon

talon the banned wagon

What? That makes no sense. Do you happen to have a copy of that supposed law? How does round count make a firearm full auto? Sorry, think you've got your wires crossed somewhere.

19. what_now

what_now Member

ORC 2921.11 E states(E) "Automatic firearm" means any firearm designed or specially adapted to fire a succession of cartridges with a single function of the trigger. "Automatic firearm" also means any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading, other than a firearm chambering only .22 caliber short, long, or long-rifle cartridges.

20. talon

talon the banned wagon

That is truly the most ignorant thing I've ever seen i think.