Is Ruger becoming the best gun company around?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by ajole, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 5.7l Hemi. That thing will pull tree stumps out of the ground!. It hauls my 32' 5th wheel around with ease. The only problem is it averages about 10 mpg just running around town. With the 5th wheel it gets about 7-8 mpg.
    I will probably upgrade to a diesel some time in the future. First, I gotta get some bill paid off. Ha ha

2. Asher1

Asher1 Member

I am pretty sure the new diesel motor in the 1500 ram is a fiat.. I know a couple guys that have them and love em...

I am keeping a close eye on the new Nissan cummins combo... as far as I know a "v" motor hasn't been attempted by cummins in a long time (or ever)... usually a diesel company that first gets into a "v" motor makes a lot of lemons before they pull the plug.. The thing that gives me hope is that cummins isn't like most... they won't put their name on the motor unless it's well proven..

As for me, I'll stick to my 04 5.9L common rail CTD... I should get a good 500k out of it...

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I read that the things are actually made by a motor maker called VM Motori, they make marine engines as well, are affiliated with (Owned by) Fiat and WAS owned partly by GM before Fiat bought them out, and that they also make the Jeep diesel engines.

From WIKI:

"Detroit Diesel Corporation (DDC) bought VM Motori in 1995. In 2000, DDC was purchased by DaimlerChrysler AG.

In 2003, Penske Corporation purchased a 51% stake in VM Motori; in 2007, Penske bought the remaining 49% from DaimlerChrysler and subsequently sold 50% of it to General Motors.

On 11 February 2011, Fiat Powertrain Technologies and Penske Corporation had reached an agreement under which Fiat Powertrain would purchase Penske Corporation's fifty-percent stake in VM Motori S.p.A.[4][5]

Fiat Group Automobiles acquired the remaining 50% stake of VM Motori S.p.A. owned by General Motors,[6] on 28 October 2013."

So yep, they ARE Fiat.:)

Crazy world markets!:p

4. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Toyota Nissan same difference
    ;)

5. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

F
    I
    A
    T

fIX IT AGAIN tONY!

6. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Supporting Member

Idaho
    Wow this thread is drifting.......but who cares.....

7. rowiebowie

rowiebowie Supporting Member

Texas
    Yes, I agree. Ruger makes the best Ram Diesel engines out there!

8. Kituwa

Kituwa Member

One of my sons has a Ford 250 kings ranch 4X4 with a twin turbo diesel in it.It has 37.5 tires on it so you need a step ladder to get in it.Man that thing is like driving a pick up truck and a muscle car and a mudder all in one. I does not make good gas mileage though. He is checking into finding some kind of programmer for it to help out on that. Oh, and he does keep a Ruger SR22 in the glove box,lol.

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Way to bring it back, Kituwa!:)

10. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

Waiting for the new Mark 4 22/45 to come back in stock so I may buy it.
    I might keep my Mark 3 22/45 for a little while since I read that Ruger has discontinued the mk3 line now.

11. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

I will own a Security Six some day. Dad gave out "the list." I may get a 10/22 some day. With a 15-22 no hurry.