Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,833 Posts
I might be interested in this pistol. But I'm going to hold out until it's been on the market a while. By then, all the patents for a micro 9 that HK recently filed might be bearing fruit.
That patent is for nothing but the look. Literally NOTHING internal.

“CLAIM: The ornamental design for a handgun, as shown and described.”

·
Administrator
24,594 Posts
That patent is for nothing but the look. Literally NOTHING internal.

“CLAIM: The ornamental design for a handgun, as shown and described.”
Psst! Beat you to it again...

Even some of the exterior features are recycled. Slide serrations, sights, trigger safety, etc. I haven't taken a super close look yet but those jumped out right away.

·
Premium Member
35,833 Posts
Psst! Beat you to it again...

Even some of the exterior features are recycled. Slide serrations, sights, trigger safety, etc. I haven't taken a super close look yet but those jumped out right away.
Yeah...but I provided the quote. :ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
28,436 Posts
At least they serviced it. Fast isn't always the same as good when it comes to service. Doing it right is the bottom line.
I agree that a correct fix is higher priority than turnaround time. But turnaround time is still important and, for me anyway, Taurus was super slow on the turnaround time.

Like I wrote, it didn't really affect me because I have a ton of other guns. If it were my only gun then I would have been out of my SD gun for a long time.

I've only dealt with a manufacturer's CS once, and that was to get the CA-model barrel nut off of my P-22 when I moved to Free America. Walther emailed me a FedEx shipping label, it went out, and they had it back, lickity-split.

Adams Arms also fixed a problem with an upper I got from them in no time. They were less than a week fixing it, and they did it right.

Honestly, I was expecting a few weeks for each item I sent back.
I've had some stuff take a long time and some take a very short time. No rhyme or reason. <shrug>

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
Like I wrote, it didn't really affect me because I have a ton of other guns. If it were my only gun then I would have been out of my SD gun for a long time.
Very true. With that being said, I've heard stories of Taurus failing to fix problems in the past. If they're actually making things right, then that's a huge jump in progress for them.

·
Premium Member
9,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Very true. With that being said, I've heard stories of Taurus failing to fix problems in the past. If they're actually making things right, then that's a huge jump in progress for them.
Never heard of Taurus failing to fix a problem. Just that turn around was excessive.

Class action guns sent in didn’t come back. They did replace with an equivalent though.

My biggest biggest beef was replacement parts. Need a recoil spring? Send the pistol in.

What soured me the most was the class action and their canned responses. Frustrating.

·
Premium Member
35,833 Posts
Yes, but I'm betting it's not a patent for an ornament.
Actually...it is. It’s sort of like a trademark look, too. They don’t want anyone looking like them.

·
Super Moderator
28,436 Posts
Actually...it is. It’s sort of like a trademark look, too. They don’t want anyone looking like them.
Then it should be Trademark, not Patent.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Administrator
24,594 Posts

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Read it again. He said "too"... as in addition to. Not to mention the fact that they have already registered their trademark, which is to protect a thing used to identify a manufacturer. This ornamental patent is to protect the design of a product from being copied in whole or in part.

Methinks you misconstrued his statement.

Reactions: ajole

·
Super Moderator
28,436 Posts
Read it again. He said "too"... as in addition to. Not to mention the fact that they have already registered their trademark, which is to protect a thing used to identify a manufacturer. This ornamental patent is to protect the design of a product from being copied in whole or in part.

Methinks you misconstrued his statement.
Perhaps. And I admit that Uni B-Law was, well, a LOOOONG time ago. But my recollection is that the prof put on the test that "looking like" and "artistic form" is what TM is for not Patent. So the "unique and identifiable appearance of a product specifically associated with a brand" (such as the nike swoosh) is a TM and can't be patented. And that sure looks like what the claim being made is when they say "The ornamental design."

Probably take both a patent lawyer and a TM lawyer to hammer it out for sure, but I'm guessing that this patent wouldn't hold up if it were challenged.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
35,833 Posts

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
As Rach mentioned....I did qualify my comment with the word “too”, and....

...since when did logic matter once the bureaucracy gets involved?

·
Administrator
24,594 Posts
Perhaps. And I admit that Uni B-Law was, well, a LOOOONG time ago. But my recollection is that the prof put on the test that "looking like" and "artistic form" is what TM is for not Patent. So the "unique and identifiable appearance of a product specifically associated with a brand" (such as the nike swoosh) is a TM and can't be patented. And that sure looks like what the claim being made is when they say "The ornamental design."

Probably take both a patent lawyer and a TM lawyer to hammer it out for sure, but I'm guessing that this patent wouldn't hold up if it were challenged.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
You MIGHT be confusing an ornamental design patent and a utility patent?
An ornamental design patent is there to protect the appearance and design of a product.

A utility patent protects the function and operation of a product.

So if I redesigned the C9 using the same internals but changed the look of the slide, grip, and frame; I would file an ornamental design patent. If I changed how it functioned, say from the blow back design to say a hesitation or locked breech mechanism, i would need to file for a utility patent because I'm changing the function of the product.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
From legal zoom
The three types of patents are utility patents, design patents, and plant patents. Utility patents are issued for inventions that are novel and useful. Design patents protect the design or image of a product. Plant patents are issued to applicants for plants that can reproduce.

HK has a design patent. To infringe on it, a virtually exact copy of the look/feel of their pistol would be required. Only people who would likely do that is an airsoft/BB/pellet gun manufacturer.

It's a none issue

Crap Ia'm responding to something from almost a month ago...I must have done a Rip Van Winkle

·
Administrator
24,594 Posts
Crap Ia'm responding to something from almost a month ago...I must have done a Rip Van Winkle
What's worse is you had a month to read the actual thread to see that you're just regurgitating the same exact information that was used in the previously final post of this thread...

·
Super Moderator
28,436 Posts
What's worse is you had a month to read the actual thread to see that you're just regurgitating the same exact information that was used in the previously final post of this thread...

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Only Taurus in my safe is the 709 Slim. I would like to get a 856 Defender at some point, mainly when the prices come back to reasonable along with the ammo.

I've held the ultra lite model but don't care for it, need the longer grip and extra weight of the Defender. I need a more modern revolver than the ones I have.

·
Premium Member
9,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Only Taurus in my safe is the 709 Slim. I would like to get a 856 Defender at some point, mainly when the prices come back to reasonable along with the ammo.

I've held the ultra lite model but don't care for it, need the longer grip and extra weight of the Defender. I need a more modern revolver than the ones I have.
I have had a few Tauri and honestly have never had any issues with them, barring the class action. The defender is one I really like, along with its 22 LR counterpart.

The reason I don’t own them is because I own the Ruger SP101 in 357 and 22.

The reason I don’t own them is because I have the Ruger SP101 357 and 22.

I also have the Taurus 38/357/9mm convertible. It’s a favorite. I keep the 9mm cylinder in it mostly.

The GX4 IS all that and a bag of chips. I am enjoying mine!

Reactions: Rerun and Dubar

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
I found a LGS that had the 856 Defender for a decent price. Went there today to fondle it and it followed me home:

They had ammo for $29.99 a box of 50 too so I got 3 boxes.

The 856 came with the regular Taurus grip plus a Hogue grip on the gun in addition to the regular front sight and an Ameriglo H3 GR front sight, also already on the gun.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts