is the .32 good enough?

Discussion in 'CCW & Open Carry' started by Bertus, Mar 24, 2019.

1. You should check out the Kel Tec Owners Group Forum
    They should call it the 32 Fanboi Club

lklawson likes this.

2. shepherd321

shepherd321 Supporting Member

I've read on the internet that veterinarians use 32acp for putting animals down, but Vasily Blokhin was quite fond of the 25acp.

Bertus likes this.
  3. Bertus

Bertus Member

Maine
    sometimes twice nothing is nothing;)

4. Rerun

Rerun Member

To participate in a gunfight one needs to have a gun.

eldar

5. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Didn’t watch the video, don’t have the time, but I do like Paul Harrell. Don’t know what he said, but here is my take on the .32, based on my experience and thoughts, I will go back and see if Paul and I agree or not later.

First let’s get the 32acp out of the way. I have not shot one enough to know if I like it or not. One box shot out of H&R and Colt revolvers. Neither revolver would extract them and I lost interest.

The 32 S&W is a fine small game cartridge I guess. Underpowered for anything else. One was used to assassinate one of our presidents. Of course McKinley didn’t directly die from being shot, but from the infection that set in. IIRC it shoots a 98 grain bullet at 650 to 700 FPS with an energy level around 100 foot pounds. It’s another cartridge I have very little interest in.

The 32 S&W Long starts getting interesting to me. It was a reloadable replacement for the 22 long rifle in my eyes. I loaded the 100 grain JHP pushed by Unique powder. Used it on a lot of raccoons and such. A few squirrels and rabbits. It did a good job. I also carried it and used it for social work. Honestly, I really only preferred it over the .22 rimfire because I could reload it.

The 32 H&R Magnum comes into its own league. Lil’Gun and the same 100 grain JHP i load in the 32 S&W long gives 1050 FPS. Not a slouch by any means. While my NEF revolver only held 5 shots, 6 shots is the norm. I traded it for a 38 special when I got my CCW. Something I wish I had not done.

The 32 Federal Magnum is a definately want. I plan to purchase one as soon as Ruger releases the LCRX3 in that chambering. The data books show me that I can get over 1400 FPS with the 115 grain bullet and over 1200 FPS with the 115 grain bullet. I will carry this mainly with the 32 H&R Magnum 115 grain loads, or more likely an equivalent of that load in the 327 case. The full house 327 Federal’s would be available if I felt I needed them.

Yes, I think the 32 caliber is enough, especially the 32 H&R Magnum and the 327 Federal Magnum. The 32 H&R is about perfect for a field gun, a little light for deer, the 327 Federal is downright formidable.

Rerun likes this.
  6. Bertus

Bertus Member

Maine
    I can save you some time if you don't get a chance to watch it. It is about the 32ACP not the other 32 cartridges, and the meat target and soda bottle showed very little difference between the 32acp and a 25acp. He suggest that if you have a 32ACP you should trade it for a 380ACP.

7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Rerun likes this.
  8. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

European police forces and Military officers have long carried in 7.62 or .32 variants

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walther_PP

I’ll be corrected by Kirk that most have transferred over to 9mm.
    Point being at one stage they were considered adequate.

Back stateside, ask yourself how many people carry a .22lr and how many people get shot and killed annually with a .22lr

The .22 is in every way inferior to the .32
    Yes there’s always better and more expensive but I’d say a .32 is better then a sharp stick.
    Most self defense shootings are within 6 feet by the way.

Armynurse, Dagwood, OldOutlaw and 4 others like this.
  9. Rerun

Rerun Member

Why?

If there isn't any difference between the two calibers, better to have complete expertise in the caliber/pistol one has versus having to retrain on a new/different caliber/firearm.

eldar

10. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

This discussion is going to turn into the same circle jerk as 15 vs 17 round mags.
    Till somebody shows up with a 33 :rolleyes:

11. Bertus

Bertus Member

Maine
    There is a big step up in performance when comparing the 32acp and the 380acp and it can be had in the same size package. Also the 32acp cost way more to purchase ammo, if you can find it on the shelf.

12. Bertus

Bertus Member

Maine
    I think a 22 stinger is probably more effective than a 32ACP. Back in the 1930's if you wanted a handgun of that size and weight the 32acp was the only game in town, now they have 380 and 9mm in the same size gun. They were considered adequate at the time.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  13. Rerun

Rerun Member

Except for being a rimfire, I'd agree.

eldar

Think1st likes this.
  14. 9 millimeter Luger is my minimum requirement for a self defense pistol. I prefer .40 Smith & Wesson and .45 Auto though. You can get some very small 9 millimeter handguns for carry.

Think1st likes this.
  15. Bertus

Bertus Member

Maine
    the meat target is a real good test to compare the effectiveness of cartridges

16. Rerun

Rerun Member

Autopsy data is better.

eldar

Armynurse and Think1st like this.
  17. Bertus

Bertus Member

Maine
    I now what you mean, but I have shot a bunch of the Stinger ammo since it came out 40 years ago and I honestly do not remember ever having one fail to go off, but it is a rimfire!

someone tried telling Paul that rimfire was totally reliable...makes a 15 minute review to refute Paul, Paul makes an hour long video refuting them, and their ancestors. Bringing shame upon their family and their livestock.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  18. Bertus

Bertus Member

Maine
    they frown on live target testing these days;) haha

19. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member