is the .32 good enough?

Discussion in 'CCW & Open Carry' started by Bertus, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Rerun

Rerun Member

I remember reading an FBI report in the 1990's that stated any cartridge that produces 200+ foot pounds of energy was adequate for use in a self defense shooting.
    The heavier bullet weight cartridges in .32 H&R Magnum produce that much.
    With velocities greater than 1200 fps, 300 foot pounds of energy are available.

eldar

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    lklawson and Bertus like this.
  2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

1800 FPS out of a 7.62x25?
    That’s a .32 also.

ichthyo and Bertus like this.

3. Rob4095

Rob4095 Member

In .327 Federal Magnum, three generally available loads are:

Federal Premium 85 grain Hydra-Shot JHP - MV 1330 fps, ME 334 ft. lbs.

American Eagle 100 grain SP - MV 1400 fps, ME 435 ft. lbs.

Speer 115 grain Gold Dot JHP - MV 1300 fps, ME 431 ft. lbs.

Source: www.chuckhawks.com/327_federal.htm

Rerun likes this.
  4. wganz

wganz Supporting Member

That was what I had in mind, but at a HiPoint price point.
    The magazine ahead of the trigger makes it verboten in certain non-free areas.

5. Bertus

Bertus Member

Maine
    have you seen this one SWAGA ? 7.62x25 is a diamond in the rough...Glock would have made pistols for that caliber if it wasn't from Russia...

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Glock is Glock...since Sig had the bottleneck thing covered with the .357 Sig, they decided to go one better with .45 GAP...except it wasn’t better, it was stupid. Same size meant no improvement in capacity over 45 ACP, and the smaller grip due to reduced bullet length is nothing Glock ever figured out...even the SF isn’t really small.

Rerun likes this.
  7. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I remember reading the G&A articles about .45 GAP when it first came out. Even then, I knew it was a pointless cartridge. The ammo manufacturers could have just called it good when they developed the 10mm after the 9mm and .45 ACP dominated the semi-auto duty calibers. There really isn't much reason to have anything beyond those three.

I did kind of find the .357 Sig and .400 Corbon to have been interesting, but that was all I thought they were. I didn't ever take them all that seriously.

ajole and lklawson like this.
  8. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

A 1911 in 22tcm/9mm is on my list.
    Somewhere.

Dagwood, Bertus and lklawson like this.
  9. Bertus

Bertus Member

Maine
    I really liked the looks of the 22TCM and I had never even heard of it before.

I just found this video on line and went over gun fight statistics of different calibers and it was very good...looks like the 380 is just as probable of solving the problem as the good ol' 45acp. but...

2019-04-18.png

Edknn likes this.
  10. Think1st

Florida
    I got one thing to say to the narrator about his .45 ACP comments. "Oh yeah? Well, when was the last time you saw a .45 take two shots to knock down a stubborn plate or large popper?" I've had more than one stubborn plate on a rack or a popper giggle in the face of my P938. In front of my G21 or my 1911 (before it broke :( ), those things just crash down.

Interestingly enough, he said that the data on the 9mm showed lower rates of effectiveness than they might otherwise have because about half of the incidents involved FMJ ammo. I do believe that bullet type is a big part of the effectiveness of a round as much as the caliber.

Regarding the statistics, though, the thing that is missing is an assessment of the specific nature of the trauma that caused the one-shot stop and how many of the multiple-shot stops were caused by people doing controlled pairs. The narrator did mention that the semi-autos, because of their higher rate of fire, may have rated lower in one-stop shots because the users may have fired follow-up shots more so than with revolvers. I would be curious to see more of the data on an individual basis.

All of that being said, the reason the .45 seems to have such an average-looking rate of one-stop shots probably has to do with the fact that people who prefer the .45 are more serious about their training and just are more capable of placing multiple shots onto an assailant, increasing the rate of multiple-shot stops, compared to one-shot stops, while those people who prefer the 9mm or .40 are likelier to be the kinds who will just buy a gun and put it into a drawer and will be so clumsy with handling that they won't be able to fire the follow-up shot as quickly. Those multiple-shot hits from the 9mm and .40 users probably come from people who just use those calibers because they have to for work but prefer the .45 as their personal weapons.:stir: And how about those numbers for the .380? All of those one-shot stops probably were the result of professional CIA or MI6 assassins shooting bad guys in the back of the head with suppressed PPKs while invading the secret lairs of super-villains.:stir:

Dagwood, Bertus, Rerun and 1 other person like this.
  11. Rerun

Rerun Member

12-15 rounds - that's the typical police shooting, unfortunately.

Too bad many LEO don't spend more time practicing.

eldar

Bertus likes this.
  12. Bertus

Bertus Member

Maine
    good points! 45ACP is better :stir: haha but seriously speaking the auto pistol probably fired more shots than needed in many cases...and the 45 with hard ball is hard to beat:)

13. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Bertus likes this.
  14. Think1st

Florida
    And the nice thing is that if the .45 doesn't expand, it's still as big as some 9mm rounds are if they expand.

SWAGA, shepherd321 and Bertus like this.
  15. RCS

RCS Likes guns and good people. Mean people suck. Member

Had a neighbor, years ago, put an old S&W 32 of some kind to her temple, pull the trigger, and she died immediately. It worked.

16. Rerun

Rerun Member

It took several days for him to be taken off life supports.

eldar

17. Armynurse

Armynurse Member

Good post! I think that's because most people HAVE .22s. If all you have is a .22 when a huge burglar appears in the splintered front door he just kicked in, you use the .22 to the best of your ability. Caliber decisions are made on convenience and what's best at hand. For example, most of my CCW is done with a .38, but my new preacher frowns on pistols in church but hasn't yet posted signs, so I discreetly carry my little .25 acp FIE Titan. It doesn't print in dress pants like my .38 does. And my C9 prints unless I throw a cheap sport coat over my IWB holster. Wow....I got long winded. Summed up, any gun works in a fight, but if I knew one was coming, I'd prefer the M60 my drill sergeant taught me to shoot.

RCS, lklawson and Rerun like this.
  18. RCS

RCS Likes guns and good people. Mean people suck. Member

Had a neighbor that put a 32acp in her temple. It worked. It was a really bad day in the neighborhood. She was at our house the night before kind of depressed but you never know what people are thinking....