Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Leapers UTG BugBuster 3-9x32 AO Mil-dot was the go-to scope when I got my 995 4-5 yrs ago. Is it still the ticket today at a bit over $100?

I have hesitated on mil-dot reticle because the view looks too busy for a "defensive" firearm with good accuracy of only 50yrds. When I shoot at a 8" target at 100yrd I just hold-over POA at the top of the target (whatever) to get the POI I want. Will mil-dot glass change my life for the better?

UPDATE 3/5. See post #16
Well my use of 'a defensive gun' led people down the wrong path. I was trying to indicate that the H/P carbine is not a long distance target gun so there is no need for a mil-dot scope that provides all that POA range calculation in a reticle IMHO. Sure, a red-dot is perfect for a self defense optic. ....

Reactions: Celtic

·
Premium Member
36,069 Posts
If you’re looking at 50 yards or less, on a “defensive” gun, then a 3-9X scope is NOT the go-to optic.

You need a red dot. Not busy, fast, good in low light.

·
Super Moderator
28,609 Posts
The Leapers UTG BugBuster 3-9x32 AO Mil-dot was the go-to scope when I got my 995 4-5 yrs ago. Is it still the ticket today at a bit over $100?

I have hesitated on mil-dot reticle because the view looks too busy for a "defensive" firearm with good accuracy of only 50yrds. When I shoot at a 8" target at 100yrd I just hold-over POA at the top of the target (whatever) to get the POI I want. Will mil-dot glass change my life for the better?
These days, on a "personal defense" carbine, the options are either a dot sight or, if you just prefer glass, a LPVO (Low Power Variable Optic) with a 0 magnification and a slider ring which takes it to higher magnifications. The LPVO at 0 power effectively works like a Red Dot but, because it is an optical scope, is less forgiving about eye placement.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
9,444 Posts
A fixed lpower low magnification optic for me.Something in the 1.5 to 3 power range please.

My favorite to date is the Centerpoint with the dot in a circle reticle. Its fast when you want it to be and precise when you need it to be. 2nd choice is one of the Diamond-Plex shotgun scopes.

·
Premium Member
36,069 Posts
I'm partial to the PA 2.5X ACSS. 2.5X, etched reticle, illuminated, not too busy but capable and easy to range out to longer ranges if required.
But on a 50 yard gun...a bit of overkill.

·
Super Moderator
28,609 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,916 Posts
I'd say @cicpup doesn't wanna slap anybody around based on lack of recent activity...
Why stir the pot adam? Things have been a lot more peaceful around here. Less arguments and easier on new members just coming here. Folks seem to be getting
along quite nicely now.

·
Premium Member
36,069 Posts
SO.....the Bug Buster.

My favorite "bug buster" type of scope is a Simmons White Tail Classic 1.5-5X20 WA.
Came pre-painted on an old Springfield 120A single shot, for about $70 all in. The scope is sort of famous in the UK as a scope to shoot mice with. Excellent light gathering despite the little lens.

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
^^It looks right at home resting on that Classic camo^^

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well my use of 'a defensive gun' led people down the wrong path. I was trying to indicate that the H/P carbine is not a long distance target gun so there is no need for a mil-dot scope that provides all that POA range calculation in a reticle IMHO. Sure, a red-dot is perfect for a self defense optic.

But I need (old eyeballs) glass (3-9x) on the 995 and would like a compact scope rather than the long 'dear hunter' scope that I have on there now. The 'go to' Bugbuster I was seeing postings about 4 yrs ago only comes in mil-dot so should I get it and live it and just get use to mil-dot OR (here is the center of the question) is there another 'go to' compact scope that carbine shooters like these days that is not a mil-dot?

·
No Longer Here
25,053 Posts
If you "need" 3-9× inside 50y, you're blind as hell.

The low power variable optics you were given options for are perfect for short sighted and short yardage shooters.

The answers you don't like are still the right ones, even after you reframed the question. If you want a 3-9× scope just say that and get one instead of beating around the bush.

There are plenty of them in the 3-9× range that aren't mildot or very busy. Use your search engine of choice and find one.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you "need" 3-9× inside 50y, you're blind as hell.

The low power variable optics you were given options for are perfect for short sighted and short yardage shooters.

The answers you don't like are still the right ones, even after you reframed the question. If you want a 3-9× scope just say that and get one instead of beating around the bush.
Yes... I can not find the floor w/o my glasses.
Yes... I asked about Bugbuster and asked if that scope was still the ticket.

It's all my fault. I'm so ashamed I wasted precious time and did not join the focused discussion on head slapping, stress and attitude, and camo postings.

• Haha
Reactions: undeRGRound

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
20,025 Posts

It's all my fault. I'm so ashamed I wasted precious time and did not join the focused discussion on head slapping, stress and attitude, and camo postings.
See^^^this ^^^ is why you annoy people.

·
No Longer Here
25,053 Posts

And it was met with many other viable options in the same price range and your response was that you only wanted information about that scope because we didn't understand what you meant.

You want a very specific short bodied, mid to long range magnification, variable power optic, with a simple reticle, and a low price point for home defense. So go buy the one you want instead of asking us to tell you it's okay. Nobody gives a rat's ass what optic you put on it or how thick your glasses are.

If you don't like the reticle, check out the suggested alternatives. If you don't like them, go find your own.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts