Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,568 Posts
Well my use of 'a defensive gun' led people down the wrong path. I was trying to indicate that the H/P carbine is not a long distance target gun so there is no need for a mil-dot scope that provides all that POA range calculation in a reticle IMHO. Sure, a red-dot is perfect for a self defense optic.

But I need (old eyeballs) glass (3-9x) on the 995 and would like a compact scope rather than the long 'dear hunter' scope that I have on there now. The 'go to' Bugbuster I was seeing postings about 4 yrs ago only comes in mil-dot so should I get it and live it and just get use to mil-dot OR (here is the center of the question) is there another 'go to' compact scope that carbine shooters like these days that is not a mil-dot?
First off...a mil dot isn't that busy. They're just little dots on the crosshairs. Put the freaking cross on the target, ignore the dots. Not that hard.
Secondly, with the 9 mm, a mildot could actually give you a decent BDC situation.
Thirdly, do you want/need the 9X? Because, if not, the basic 1-4x, 1-6x, and fixed power 4x scopes out there would be great. My Nikon P223 3x is a great scope for that range. Here's the reticle.

Regular basic Mildot reticle

Reactions: Visper

·
Registered
187 Posts
I dialed in a UTG Bug Buster scope mounted on a AR 15 with a CMMG 22LR conversion kit, from a friend of mine.
I'll check if he still has the target, and post a picture.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Here is the target used to dial the Bug Buster on Jeff's AR 15 with the CMMG 22LR conversion kit, at 100 yards.

Please ignore the target on the top left, that was my 357Sig EDC at 35 yards CMMG target 1.jpg

·
Premium Member
35,568 Posts
So really...those targets aren't telling us much about the scopes. But, good shooting!:thumbsup:

This is my Chinese SKS slow fire, rested at 50 yards, followed by quick fire, rested, at 50. No scope involved. That flyer on the first was me thinking I had to aim low, like with a Mauser. On the other target, it's just going as fast as I can see a target.

·
Registered
187 Posts
So really...those targets aren't telling us much about the scopes. But, good shooting!:thumbsup:

This is my Chinese SKS slow fire, rested at 50 yards, followed by quick fire, rested, at 50. No scope involved. That flyer on the first was me thinking I had to aim low, like with a Mauser. On the other target, it's just going as fast as I can see a target.

That's some excellent shooting there, my friend !!

The Bug Buster was mounted on an AE 15 with the CMMG kit.
The SKS has a Simmons Red Dot on it

Attachments

·
01 FFL
245 Posts
I had the Bug Buster scope on my Classic 995 and found I did not like the eyepiece. Whenever it was unlocked, moved, then locked, it would change the point of impact. I went to a different scope and that works for me.
JEFF

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,568 Posts
No. That’s plinking.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts