Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Born Warrior
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the .45 Hi Point acp and just recently decided to get the carbine in same caliber in the near future. In 9mm i have a Ruger P95 that is outstanding, so in my personal setup i dont have a need for a 9mm. I have taken my fiancee out shooting and she tried both my .45 acp and the Ruger. Surprisingly, she was a sniper with the .45 and did not fare well at ll with the 9mm. i attrubute this to the mechanics of the way the Hi Point blows back and balances it's self due to the hefty weight on them. While the Ruger blowback is not bad in no fashion, the Ruger is lighter so the balance is different (altho different caliber).
This leads me to my question. The wifey needs a concealed carry weapon and since she was so good with the .45 i figured the C9 would be a good fit based on all the above information. This will also be a slick way of getting the Hi point in 9mm in the household (evil laughter). Is there any pro's and cons C9 owners can give me on them. All i know is that they have been given the worst rap that i know of , in the Hi point family with feeding issues from the magazines and feed ramp (most say the bent the mags and polished the feed ramp in that regard). My study into the C9 has left me on the fence 50% / 50%. The Mrs. has no firearm knowledge so it is up to me to arm her properly, hence im picking her weapon....well at least her first one, lol !

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
The answer is it depends...

It's always nice to try before you buy so if there is a range near you that rents guns (and they have a C9) then you should have her see how she like its. The 45 and the 9 have much different feels to them. The C9 is fairly snappy so if she is recoil sensitive then she may not like it. If that is the case then the CF380 might be the ticket. The 380 has significantly less recoil but the ammo is also more expensive, although typically the CF380 runs about 20 buck cheaper than the C9, your mileage may vary.

The last thing is the size and weight of the gun itself. Is this something that she would be comfortable with? Is she going to carry it in a purse? As with many things there are trade offs. A Ruger LCP for example is a very small easy to conceal gun. However, it stings like the dickens. I have seen a number of women go to a larger size gun because they found the LCP too unpleasant to shoot.

As far as the reliability of the C9 is concerned, I would not hesitate to trust my life with my C9. You might have some initial break-in issues but overall the experience is usually more fun than anything else. Picture yourself saying this to your better half: "Honey I love you so much I'll fire off the first 300 rounds for you so that you don't have to worry about it"

·
Registered
15 Posts
I carry mine concealed every day. IMO it is probably a little too heavy and bulky for purse carry for most women. As far as shooting it is one of the easiest guns I have shot. Recoil is minimal and even with my large mitts I can get a good grip on it.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
My wife and daughter did'nt like the 9 but liked shooting the 45. My wife has a p32 although she's talked about getting a bigger gun, she won't never get rid of it. I swapped for a bersa firestorm 380 and she would'nt have it.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Jungle George makes a good point in mentioning the CF380. Noticeably less recoil and somewhat easier to rack /cock the slide as well. No biggy to me but my wife likes the 380 better. The ammo price is cliosing up as 9mm increases and 380 comes down.

·
Born Warrior
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The answer is it depends...

It's always nice to try before you buy so if there is a range near you that rents guns (and they have a C9) then you should have her see how she like its. The 45 and the 9 have much different feels to them. The C9 is fairly snappy so if she is recoil sensitive then she may not like it. If that is the case then the CF380 might be the ticket. The 380 has significantly less recoil but the ammo is also more expensive, although typically the CF380 runs about 20 buck cheaper than the C9, your mileage may vary.

The last thing is the size and weight of the gun itself. Is this something that she would be comfortable with? Is she going to carry it in a purse? As with many things there are trade offs. A Ruger LCP for example is a very small easy to conceal gun. However, it stings like the dickens. I have seen a number of women go to a larger size gun because they found the LCP too unpleasant to shoot.

As far as the reliability of the C9 is concerned, I would not hesitate to trust my life with my C9. You might have some initial break-in issues but overall the experience is usually more fun than anything else. Picture yourself saying this to your better half: "Honey I love you so much I'll fire off the first 300 rounds for you so that you don't have to worry about it"
Yea, not only would it get my hands on a C9, but icould actually get some range time in on it too, i like the way you ended that lol ! That's a plus

·
Born Warrior
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I carry mine concealed every day. IMO it is probably a little too heavy and bulky for purse carry for most women. As far as shooting it is one of the easiest guns I have shot. Recoil is minimal and even with my large mitts I can get a good grip on it.
Sounds good ! Thanks.

·
Born Warrior
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I don't mean to be ungentlemanly or indiscreet but how big a woman are we talking about?
( Laughing so hard , tears are rolling ) She is about 5'7 and 180 pounds with average girly sized hands ... lol

I mean she is 160 pounds, my bad, i was typing through tears, kinda hard to see !

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
FWIW, it may not be the best idea for a woman (or a guy with a man pouch) to carry your concealed carry weapon in a purse. If a thief goes for something, as in snatch, grab and go, it's the purse - then guess what...no gun available to the woman and who has it now!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts