Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally found some JHP for my P3AT today. I bought it without really thinking about it because the stuff is so rare even on the Intertubes. When I got home I realized that it's +P... is it safe to shoot +P out of the P3AT? It doesn't say anything about it on Kel-Tec's website, but it mentions the max muzzle velocity and max muzzle energy, and this ammo is under each of those which would make me think that it's ok to use. It's Magtech Guardian Gold 85grn.

Thanks!

·
Registered
799 Posts
what is p ammo?i noticed the dealer i was at the other day had alot of different kind of p ammo.dont forget im noob.

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
+P ammo is hotter. Generally you get higher velocity ammo with a higher grain bullet than normal ammo. +P+ isn't really SAAMI specced but it's supposedly hotter than +P.

I now have +P or +P+ in all my carry guns :)

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts
+P ammo is hotter. Generally you get higher velocity ammo with a higher grain bullet than normal ammo. +P+ isn't really SAAMI specced but it's supposedly hotter than +P.

I now have +P or +P+ in all my carry guns :)
you have to make sure your gun can handle +P and +P+ ammo. And if you do shoot it, just don't do it a lot.

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts
location location location. 9mm will be fine. But if you want something bigger, then go for it.

·
Registered
799 Posts
.40 cal. 180 grain Hydrashoks in our Glock 22s (uniformed officers), Glock 23s (command staff/narcs/plain clothes), Glock 27s(narcs/plainclothes), and USP 40s (SRT).

In our last shooting (about three years ago), an armed robbery suspect caught one in the leg. He ended up losing his leg below the knee and his sorry, one-legged ***** is now serving 30 years for armed robbery and attempted murder.
hmm... can a hp40 shoot this high gr ammo?anyone tried?

·
Premium Member
10,285 Posts
You might want to do some further checking. I have heard of some Keltecs blowing up from +P. Ruger changed their manual for the LCP saying no +P allowed. That gun is designed a lot like the P3AT.

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's all about skill with the weapon. A .22 in skilled hands is more deadly than a .50AE for a n00b. Get a pistol you are comfortable with and practice with it A LOT! I prefer 9mm myself, but I don't have any compact 9s so my Ruger P345 conceals better. When concealment is of utmost importance, the P3AT it is. I practice with all of them fairly regularly and am confident with each one, though the Glock is what I'm the best with.

Don't let anyone scare you away from 9mm. Overall I think 9mm is the best for self defense because of the relatively low recoil allowing quick, accurate follow up shots. With good ammo you will get plenty of penetration and damage. Also, while loud a 9mm most likely won't destroy your hearing like shooting a .45 indoors is going to.

@Dane, from what I've found so far I haven't seen any problem with the P3AT. I wouldn't put +P in a P-11 (a buddy of mine had one and it exploded with regular ammo in it).

EDIT: Oh, and IMO the LCP is an inferior weapon compared to the P3AT.

·
Registered
799 Posts
thanks mason.i made up my mind.im goint to keep my 9.and then maybe a few weeks maybe ger a 40.so ill just try out some ammo you all suggested then keep to diffenerent types of ammo for each gun.thr 40 will be for just hom and ofcourse the 9 i cc i think you put it.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
@Mason, from one P3AT owner to another. That thing is quite the little rocket with standard ammo,... it will handle a limited amount +p on occasion, but I would suggest you don't do a lot of it, for your hand's sake if not the life span of the pistol.

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No problem, just keep trying different calibers and different ammo until you find some you like. I bought several different types of JHP before I settled on the ones I use now (except for the .380 since the Magtechs are the only JHP I've been able to find). You may find that you can triple tap with a .45 with no problem, or you may find yourself leaving holes from the foot to the head from muzzle jump haha. When it comes to defending yourself, you can never find a weapon that you are too good with, keep practicing and experimenting until you find what you like the best :) Eventually you'll end up like several of us here and have a couple of pistols in each caliber you like.

Best of luck in your search!

@Corlogik yeah I'll probably shoot a mag of the stuff through to see how it feels and make sure it feeds but other than that I'll stick to the normal old FMJs. They are quite beastly little buggers. It took me a while to get to where I could shoot it without the muzzle jumping a lot.

·
Registered
799 Posts
thanks mason.to make this short i will have a 9mm and a 40 or 45.one at a time.so im debating on what i want first.

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
IMO start small and work your way up. I wasted a lot of more expensive.45 ammo dinkering around figuring out proper pistol shooting stances and hand positions.

·
Registered
799 Posts
well im not even far in t the link you gave me to read .that being said.i have had a 40 and its no prob for me to handle,im a big guy.so im running to my pawnshop to put the 40 on hold instead of the 9mm.ill get the 9mm in a few weeks or so.they get 9mm all the time so i need to go put that 40 they had onhold be back ina few.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts