Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering. I don't have much experience with semi-automatic shotguns save for a loaner I used for rabbit hunting a few years back. Mostly I stick to slide trombones with the occasional single or double thrown in.

The reason I ask is this: I have it in the back of my head that I need to dust off my Mossberg 695 to prep it for deer gun season. My load of choice is the Hornady SST 300 gr sabots. Accurate as all get out from that gun.

It's those sabots that got me thinking.

I don't have much in the way of semi-automatic "KaThump!" All my semi-autos are pistol caliber carbines. If I were to get a semi-automatic shotgun that could have anywhere near the accuracy of the 695 (mine'll do 3 round cloverleafs at 100 yds all day long for a good shooter), with an extended magazine... I'm thinking that would be a force to be reckoned with, especially if 00 could be mixed in at great need.

Ideally, I'd like something similar to a Tromix but built on a more conventional (and available) platform to be configured at times to appear to be a sporting gun.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

-'bridge

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
mossberg 935 semi-auto, my buddy got one with both a smooth bore and rifled barrel with scope, and he loves it

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
browning gold hunters can be had with rilfed barrels. personally my gold will group under 3" at 100 yards with sabot slugs so ireally dont see teh need for a rifled barrel.

SW

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to clarify SW, you mean you're shooting sabots out of a smoothbore and getting 3"? I never even thought to try that. I haven't had much luck with rifled slugs in the past, never thought to try sabots out of a smoothbore.

-'b

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
+1 on the Federal 3" sabots.

Ron M.

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, wow, you guys are opening up new horizons for me. I guess the next question would be what semi-auto has decent aftermarket support? At the least I'd want to put on a full stock with pistol grip, an optic of some kind, and an extended magazine tube. Think semi-auto sniper shotgun for accurate thump at 100 yards.

Aside: are the Saigas the only shotguns with magazines instead of tubes? If somebody made even a five-round mag for the 695 I'd be happy as a clam in sauce. The two-round mags are a pain and aren't cheap, single loading the 695 almost always causes jams so it's a slow gun to work.

-'b

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WERE_SKITZ0 Doing some research as we speak. The Mossberg 935 is available in a factory stock with pistol grip like I want. Dumb question but like I said, I've got only a tiny bit of experience with auto shotguns. Can capacity be increased?

-'b

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
advantages of the browning gold over other autos:

brass gas rings dont wear out. my gun has over 7500 rounds through it with zero failures.
it can go upwards of 2000 rounds between thorough cleanings with minimal maintenance.
safety is more "sure" than othes ive used, in particular teh 1187. my old 1187 had a safety that was so floppy it would move on and off of its own accord. facotry said there was nothing wrong with it.
good factory support for parts and accessories. all models of this gun have interchageable stocks forearms etc. magazine extensions arent cheap, but are widely available.

ETA a feature of this gun is first round auto feed. with the bolt locked back on an empty magazine, if you feed a round into the tube magazine it will automatically feed into teh chamebr ready to fire.

SW

·
Premium Member
772 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
I dont like the 935 i would go with the 930 before the 935, the 935 in infamous for not feeding 2.75 well and 3.5 is overkill anyway.

·
Registered
799 Posts
also the 930 has a +5 extension that from choate thats top notch. But i have fired both and the operation of the browning is much smoother and seems to have less recoil Im not sure why or hyow but it is alot sweeter shooting, but you do pay for it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts