Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got a cylinder arm assembly for my H&R 929 sidekick so Im going to get the old boy up and running again.

The poor guy has been kinda abused and neglected over the years and the finish really shows it. I am planning on reblueing the whole thing but I gotta get rid of all the rust and old blueing first. I have used Naval jelly in the past and it works pretty good with a wire brush. But now i have the HPFF as a resource so I was wondering do you guys know of anything better than Naval jelly for getting rid of some pretty substantial rust??

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Hmm...rust, rust, rust. :think:

I got this off Wikipedia:
A simple and inexpensive way to remove rust from steel surfaces by hand is to rub the steel with aluminum foil dipped in water. Aluminum has a higher reduction potential than the iron in steel, which may help transfer oxygen atoms from the iron to the aluminum. The aluminum foil is softer than steel and will not scratch it, as steel wool will, but as the aluminum oxidizes, the aluminum oxide produced becomes a fine metal polishing compound.

There also supposed to be away to remove rust via and electrical current running through the piece while it is in a bath of water or some kind of solution. Don't know much about that though. Sorry if it's not any help.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hm never thought of useing foil to scrub off the rust but makes sense thanks for the tip.

·
1,792 Posts
A battery maintainer and a bath of Water+baking soda.

Car guys been doing this for years and it works.

Look it up. if your interested.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
A battery maintainer and a bath of Water+baking soda.

Car guys been doing this for years and it works.

Look it up. if your interested.
+1

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok I will give it a try prolly going to hurt my self :D
thanks for the input fellas

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Knock the surface off with sandpaper and paint with POR-15. Google it if you don't recognize the name.
that stuff looks interesting!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Knock the surface off with sandpaper and paint with POR-15. Google it if you don't recognize the name.
That stuff is pretty cool kinda pricey but if it works as well as it says it does I might make the investment. Wonder if you can thin it and spray it?

I do have a marlin that could use some TLC too

thanks for the info

G

·
Por-15 is an awesome product I have used it in the past on vehicle frames on my cars and trucks it is a great product for vehicle use. It definitely stops rust and prevents it from returning.

·
Administrator
29,137 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.