Is there anything wrong about Mossbergs?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Browning 9 Guy, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

Keep seeing posts in other sites, eg "Mossbergs go to the gun store to look at real shotguns." My new Mossy functions quite well. No issues at all. But it's troubling - maybe I should have bought a Remington 870. Do Mossies start wearing out too soon? Any design defects? Any words of wisdom would help. Thanks in advance!

2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Cheap plastic safety switch prone to breaking. Replace with metal one. Easy inexpensive fix.

3. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

Thanks!

OK thanks, cicpup! Advice well taken.

4. Sirex

Sirex Member

I had a Remington 870 Police Magnum and still preferred the Mossberg 500. I generally tinker with everything, and replaced the stock with a speedfeed stock, replaced the 18" barrel with a 5 shot 590A1 heavy barrel, and metal safety switch and metal trigger group. It's my go to. I know, why not just get a 590? Well, I bought my 500 as a home/field combo, so with just upgrading my 500, and can still throw the 28" barrel on and hunt if I wanted to, or shoot clays. I love my 500. Have had a few. The issues related to the Mossbergs can be easily resolved, but I still like them better than my Remington.

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Word of advice...ignore most advice on the Internet...:cool:

But really, the Mossberg is fine. They sell a metric CRAPton of them, at a low price, of course there are going to be some lemons.

But...ask the Remington customers that have recently used their CS if they are fully satisfied.;)

6. Sirex

Sirex Member

I spoke to 2 gunsmiths before settling on the Mossberg and being content with it. People who think Mossbergs wear out early based on the aluminum receiver are going nuts over the AR15/M4s/M16s. I would just stay away from the cheap Turkish shotguns, in my opinion.

7. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Nothing wrong with a Mossy.

8. rickm

rickm Member

mossy's are like hi points most people will bad mouth them just cause they cost less to own but they are good guns, yeah they have their draw backs but heck what doesnt now days.

9. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I've got an 835 Ulti-mag that I bought used, taken care of, but used. Still goes bang when I want it to. Nothing wrong with a Mossy at all. The whole Mossy vs Remington thing is just fanboi lip service.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You leave me out of this. ;)

10. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I asked a LOT of Q's before buying the guns I have.
    I was told by many different folks, Get at least 3 guns...
    Hunting Rifle (or AR)
    22 repeater (most often a 10/22)
    12 ga. Shotgun (Remi or Mossy)

I asked nearly every one of them "Remi or Mossy? Which is best?" and got the "nearly equal" every time. Most had BOTH.
    Also, look at it this way: Remington was sold to Freedom Group (or whatever) and O.F. Mossberg is still family owned, afaik... ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O.F._Mossberg_&_Sons
    Partial and Brief history of Mossberg

11. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    PS: Got a 500 JIC and a 590A1, both are sweeet :D

12. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I have owned the same Remington 870 for almost 25 years and have upgraded it pretty heavily from its original Express configuration, as well as put hundreds of rounds through it, from bird shot to slugs. It's been an excellent shotgun.

I've also used a number of Mossbergs in a few different units and also trained several of my younger Soldiers and NCOs in its use in my earlier days at the company level.

Both shotguns are quality weapons and have a significant number of after-market accessories available to customize them into any configuration you desire. Nevertheless, the tang-mounted safety on the Mossberg is a pretty neat feature, making it much easier to disengage in a hurry. That is really about the only feature of it that I find gives it a distinct advantage over the 870.

In fact, I was curious about the other advantages that one might have over the other and found this excellent video, quite some time ago, while looking for insights. This video answered a lot of my questions, and I recommend that you watch it.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuxCLivZ-Vk[/ame]

13. Rachgier

I need to pick up some new chokes for the 835, and a slug gun for the kid. He seems to think he's taking over my Winchester 1300 Defender.

14. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

Why does it say "NOT FOR USE WITH SLUGS" ?:confused:

15. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    I'm guessing smooth bore.

16. Rachgier

It's the Ulti-Mag Grand Slam Turkey 12ga 3.5" magnum action with an over-bored barrel.

Basically, it's a 12ga action with a 10ga smooth bore barrel on it. Slugs of any kind are no bueno in this thing.

17. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    I have had at one time or another, Remington, Winchester, Mossberg, Ithaca, and Browning Shotguns. Browning and Mossberg I have at this time. The only shotgun I was not fond of was the Ithaca featherlight 12ga. Good shot gun but kicked like a somb!tch. I have had problems with rifles and handguns, but never had a bad shotgun.

18. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

My 870 has a smooth bore 28" full choke barrel and it can shoot slugs as well as the 20" smooth bore "slug barrel" that I also have for it.

19. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I would venture to say that the "Accu-Mag" choke is a particularly tight choke for use in turkey hunting. It would be too constricted to allow a slug to safely pass.

20. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Basically, if it says no slugs I wouldn't shoot slugs through it.
    I sure do love my 702 plinksters! I know, they are actually Mossberg Intl. But They are accurate and fun as hell. Inexpensive too. I would own a mossy shotgun for sure. I just happen to have taken a Benelli Nova 12ga on trade so that is what I have. Love it BTW.