Is this a good price for an AR with 1:9 twist

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by USMC_VET, Nov 20, 2015.

1. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

My LGS is having a black Friday sale and on Remington firearms . They have a DPMS Oracle 1:9 twist 5.56 Flat top optic ready AR for $429.00 , and regularly $559.00

Like mentioned only available on Friday November 27th

Looked at this AR over a year ago and wasn't impressed with it then as you would need alot of aftermarket parts to make it nicer !!

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    The Oracle is a decent low/mid level gun that out-performs it's cost.
    And that's a good price, especially for Kalifornistan.

I had a kid in my school that regularly won target competitions with a stock Oracle, BSA sweet .223, and home rolled ammo.

3. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

4. USMC_VET

They've got 18 stores and this AR is only available on Black Friday and I bet they only have about 150-200 rifles between these stores !! , that's maybe 8-9 per store

5. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I have one and it has been great so far

6. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    I pd $469 for a DPMS Oracle back in 5/2012, which was before the Sandy Hook price run up.

DPMS firearms were manufactured about 40 miles from my house at that time. I know several people who worked for them. Most are gone cuz of the move to the big Remington plant in the south.

My trigger group smoothed out pretty well to where I have no interest in replacing it. I did replace the stock, hand grip and the foregrip but I probably would have done that on most of the lower end AR15.

Zero problems with the rifle. I've run just over 1000 rounds thru mine.

7. USMC_VET

I can just imagine the cluster**** at ea store as people trying to push & shove their way to the gun counter just to hopefully be one of the few for this limited run

8. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

Bring a sleeping bag. :rolleyes:

9. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I can get them everyday for. $480 @ my lgs. 40 less than I paid for mine.

10. talon

talon the banned wagon

If you weren't impressed with it before, does the sale price make it that much more attractive? Or have you changed your opinion of it? Just curious.

11. USMC_VET

Sale price

12. talon

talon the banned wagon

Wouldn't building one be better? Even for the sale price you'd be well on your way to buying all the components to build a much better system.

13. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    For instance?

14. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

PSA or Karris guns or any number of sites have uppers or parts to built one. Anderson lower $39 unless your mole and need to spend more for a light weight one cause he has weak arms ;-)

15. talon

talon the banned wagon

For instance........hundreds if not thousands of options.

Open any online gun parts webpage and look.

16. GLUGLUG

GLUGLUG Supporting Member

NC
    BUILD IT!!
    these days it's gonna be hard to find EXACTLY what you're looking for in an AR. If you feel like you're gonna mod the thing (past optics) you're gonna be better off building.

17. I have been looking at putting one together. Best price I found was on PSA.
    129.99 for assembled lower.
    384 for barreled upper w/ charging handle.
    That equals $515+ shipping and transfer.
    If you guys have found it cheaper show me where.

18. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    At the low, low prices right now for a complete gun, building it simply isn't any cheaper.

And don't even start on the BS about better parts, mil-spec BLAH BLAH...:rolleyes:

19. The only thing I found with my 1 in 9 bore is it seems to like 69 grain and heavier bullets. Problem with that is the cheap stuff is usually 55 grain fmj I can tell difference in ammo by loading top 5 with one load bottom with another and jump from target to target with different loads.

20. GLUGLUG

GLUGLUG Supporting Member

NC
    For a base model that you won't feel the need to change, sure, buying one on sale IS cheaper. When you get into changing, triggers, bolts, charging handles, grips, stocks and a great barrel etc., then building WILL save $$