Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so im on my local forums and these guys OC, I don't have a big problem with it but I wont do it either but this one guy gets pissed off because he's in a mall(gun free zone) OC and gets stopped by an LEO for walking around with a gun and then is informed he is in a gun free zone then the guy admits that he goes to banks with his gun out openly. Now I thought that was a federal offense or according to the brochure I got when I got my permit to carry it says that you Cannot carry inside a bank, post office or any other federal building. So now people are telling him that he should sue and get the officer fired but to me looks like he broke the law and should be lucky that he wasn't taken in.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
it depends if he's a government employee, and if he is, if he's mandated to OC everywhere. Otherwise, let the fool turn himself in...

G

·
Ok so im on my local forums and these guys OC, I don't have a big problem with it but I wont do it either but this one guy gets hacked off because he's in a mall(gun free zone) OC and gets stopped by an LEO for walking around with a gun and then is informed he is in a gun free zone then the guy admits that he goes to banks with his gun out openly. Now I thought that was a federal offense or according to the brochure I got when I got my permit to carry it says that you Cannot carry inside a bank, post office or any other federal building. So now people are telling him that he should sue and get the officer fired but to me looks like he broke the law and should be lucky that he wasn't taken in.
Can't carry in a Federal Building, Post Office, or in National Parks. There are no Federal laws governing carry in banks.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
928 Posts
It all depends, in Michigan the concealed pistol ( pistol free zones) laws don't pertain to open carry unless the place your at says no firearms. Check out opencarry.org you'll find answers to all your questions.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
I'm not up on PA laws, so the bank thing i can care less about.
The OC at the mall, if it isn't posted, and isn't illegal then it's legal.
For some reason I took what you stated 1Knight as a guy said he open carries in a mall, and even the bank in another forum... and when he actually was being questioned and detained by the police at the mall and he said he OC'd at banks... From what you said only, this guy sounded wrong, but when given the details from his story, I say he's right. (If it's legal to OC in PA at a Mall and Bank, that is.)

·
Registered
193 Posts
I would say it depends on the state. Here in KY we can carry almost anywhere except for gov. buildings and schools. If a place says no guns allowed and you still go in with one, all they can do is ask you to leave.

·
U.S.S.
2,253 Posts
Well, from what I read the guy was right and the police officer was wrong. Like it was stated earlier, banks are fair game as far as federal rules go. I don't know of PA does, but I didn't see anything here http://www.pafoa.org/forum/conceale...-training-memo-leo-dept-s-pa-final-draft.html that would indicate it was. Further, carrying a firearm in a private facility (mall) even if posted, is not a criminal offense. You only broke their rules, kinda like going into 7-11 without a shirt or shoes. they can ask you to leave, and if you refuse you can be charged with trespass, disorderly conduct, etc.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Can't carry in a Federal Building, Post Office, or in National Parks. There are no Federal laws governing carry in banks.
how about schools, bars...etc? is that federal law or state? just asking.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Further, carrying a firearm in a private facility (mall) even if posted, is not a criminal offense. You only broke their rules, kinda like going into 7-11 without a shirt or shoes. they can ask you to leave, and if you refuse you can be charged with trespass, disorderly conduct, etc.
That's the way it is here in MN as well. The only place I don't carry is at work ('cause they'll fire me if I bring it in the door) but any place with a sign? well I make sure it's well concealed and if they did find out and ask me to leave I would gladly do so. There have been stories about some "no gun" places getting held up so I'm not taking chances

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
If the property has a clearly posted sign stating that there are no arms allowed on the property, then it DOES become a federal violation. Notice that it's not a violation of federal law. A federal violation means that it's a law that is recognized by all 50 states and Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands but not one that is considered a federal mandate. A state can elect to NOT consider the carry of a weapon in violation of posted material a crime, and it would be in their legal right. In that case the federal government cannot arrest the individual on carrying a weapon since the home state didn't deem it a crime. BUT, if it did, then the act would carry a federal penalty, not a state.

But, the federal law on weapons carry (either permit concealed or open-carry) stands on all federal property, including public or public-funded schools, post offices, federal administration buildings, DES offices, etc.

Now banks are NOT federal property! They are federally insured, but so are other industries such as transit companies used in federal affairs (such as Union Pacific). Federally insured establishments are not federal institutions, but not all federal institutions are federally insured (head hurting yet?) If they were, then banks could not use armoured transport services (Brinks, Wells Cargo, etc) because they aren't always LEO's, but are required by company policy most of the time to open-carry.

As for bars, that is a state by state issue. In Arizona, you can carry in a bar, open or concealed with permit, as long as you are not ingesting any alcohol. Other states aren't as clear.

G

·
how about schools, bars...etc? is that federal law or state? just asking.
Those are regulated by state. In Utah, it's legal for permit holders to carry in schools, and bars. However, being in possession of a gun while under the influence of alcohol/drugs is bad news. The level of intoxication for possessing a firearm is the same as for operating a vehicle.

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
I know for a FACT that I can open OR concealed carry in New Mexico banks. I don't open carry in a bank, but I have CC in a bank on several occasions.

G

·
Have yet to carry in a bank. I don't really plan on OC in a bank, but next time I have a reason to go into a bank, I'll be CCing. Today was the first time I've left home without my trusty XD-40, since my permit arrived. That was a month ago today.

The only reason I wasn't carrying today was because I was at the climbing gym, and I didn't want it to fall out while I was on the wall. Plus, it's kinda hard to conceal under all that sexy Spandex... :lol:

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
+1 Neo

I won't go into all the exact details but:
In Tennessee you can open or CC into any establishment except schools, Federal buildings, places selling alcohol for ON-PREMISES consumption,federal or local government parks, and anywhere that it is conspicuously posted (at eye level) that firearms are not permitted and includes the Tennessee Code Annotated (T.C.A.).
You can carry onto school grounds provided you do not leave the car with it and while in the car the firearm is not handled.
If any establishment has a simple sign stating "No Guns", then it is perfectly legal for you to carry onto the premises. If they ask you to leave then you'd better do it or they can charge you with trespassing.
The law recently changed to allow people to carry into places that sell alcohol for OFF-PREMISES consumption, i.e. Wal-Mart, liqour stores, gas stations.

Basically I can carry anywhere that there isn't a sign with the T.C.A. on it, a school, a park, a bar or restaurant with a bar, or a federal building.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
in AR we can carry anywhere other than the regular fed buildings, courthouses, jails, state/fed parks, or unless they have a plainly legible sign prohibiting firearms. We do not have open carry though. We can carry into bars as long as we don't consume alcohol.
that dude from the mall is just an idiot. OC makes a lot of people nervous anyway

1 - 17 of 17 Posts