Is this really what the LDS Mormon church beleives?

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by griff30, Apr 22, 2008.

1. griff30

griff30 Member

Is this what Mitt Romney believes? From Youtube: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy0d1HbItOo[/ame]

2. wow.. and this is one of the reasons why i would never be a sheep....

3. Please don't let this turn into a thread bashing another religion. Just let people believe what they wanna believe, and go about there way. I mean really, how is it hurting you?

4. browwiw

browwiw Member

Eh. No less crazy than anything I've read in the Bible.

I do love 70's rotoscoped animation, though.

5. Ari

Ari Guest

If this thread goes on everyone stay cool.

6. 69burbon

69burbon Well-Known Member

I am a member of the LDS church and this is not our belief.

That is an old Anti-Mormon video distributed in the 80's. If I remember correctly there was a slander lawsuit or something like it involving it and similar media.

I don't want to get into a discussion about religion here but anyone who wants to PM me, I would be happy to continue the discussion in private.

We do not try to force anyone to follow our beliefs (which are not that different than "mainstream" Christian beliefs). It is up to the individual to make that decision for themselves.

7. I once new a person of the Mormon faith. I never really knew much of there belief. But I surly didn't remember anything like that.

8. I have known several Mormoms, and call them friends. Their beleifs are not so far from "mainstream" , assuming of course "mainstream" is "good" which I'm not sying it is or isn't.

I try to not to put a lot of stock in or contribute to ANY belief bashing, because unfortunately, there are some of every beleif that bash every other belief, and the way I figure it, my belief in my god is between me and Him. I don't need anyone else's approval or disapproval; consequently, no one needs mine.

9. AndrewST

AndrewST Guest

Hmmm..

I am not a member of LDS but I have had friend/co-workers that are. This seems way far fetched on the beliefs of the LDS.

10. I second that, as long as you are not suicide bombing my neighborhood stores or killing or harming people as part of your religion, have at it and believe or don't believe anything you do or don't want to believe as far as I am concerned.

I am an armchair Baptist, and am very comfortable with my religion.

11. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

I was raised Mormon, but am no longer a practicing mormon.

This is the typical propaganda tactic of taking some very very insignificant truths, and mixing them with a whole lot of B.S.

It's propaganda, nothing more.

I'm no longer a practicing Mormon, my wife is. Nobody's encouraging or even mentioning divorce here. :roll:

12. AGuyNamedMike

AGuyNamedMike Lifetime Supporter

Well said!

"I was raised Baptist, but I got better." ;)

13. I am also a member of the LDS church, even served a 2 yr mission. This video is really far fetched. Proves you can put anything on youtube and call it authentic.

14. z71silverado98

z71silverado98 Member

I remember seeing that video a while ago, whether or not thats what they actually believe is it really that much different than any other religion? Look at the gods that the romans/greeks/egyptians worshiped, or the stories about talking snakes, unicorns and an alien overload dumping souls into a volcano. Every single religion has a group of devout followers that dont question what seems to be outright ridiculous to the outside observer. Its called faith, fortunately I am completely lacking in that department and can look at them all w/ a critical eye.

Im an atheist for the same reason you dismiss all other religions.

15. griff30

griff30 Member

I figured it was crap.
    The same thing is painted on Scientology too.
    We had many LDS soldiers who were like any other in the Navy.
    I do remember laughing at the "news" clip from Starship Troopers:" Every school kid knows that Arachnids are dangerous. However, Mormon extremists disregarded Federal warnings... ...and established Port Joe Smith deep inside the Arachnid Quarantine Zone. Too late they realized that Dantana had already been chosen by other colonists-- Arachnids."

[​IMG]

16. neothespian

neothespian Member

Dunno... my dad was and still is a Baptist and he's a pretty sharp guy! How he and a Buddhist wife kept getting along after 30 years of bickering I have NO idea....

17. elguapo

elguapo Guest

My Father is a Morman (non-practicing), and my Mother is a Catholic.
    From them: I am who I am.

18. AGuyNamedMike

AGuyNamedMike Lifetime Supporter

I should have put the Southern in there before Baptist, lol. The church I grew up in was all about fried chicken and being judgmental towards others. I was lucky my mother didn't cotton to that and exposed me to other denominations and faiths as a teen. I was eventually baptized in basic training after a couple of months of bible study with an excellent Lutheran chaplain. I'm one of those open-minded Christians who feels quite at home in a synagogue, mosque, or sweat lodge (even more so than most churches, lol). Even though we humans see fit to screw up all His creations, even as we quibble amongst ourselves to declare our unique perspective as the only truth, He remains perfect.

19. Carbin8r

Carbin8r Member

I have general issues with all organized religions. While they can do good, I feel that too many check their brains at the door and totally give over all independant thought to the church (or temple, or whatever...).

*If* there is a supreme being of any sort, I feel the best relationship is one-on-one. No other man (or woman...) needs to act as interpreter as no other man is any better qualified than I to interpret His will.

Whether or not there is a supreme being, I truely believe we all simply need to live good lives and do the best we can to be good to others and the world around us. Do right becuase it is the right thing to do, not out of fear of eternal damnation for doing wrong. We all will make mistakes, no need to dwell on that.

All-in-all, very simple rules to live by. If following that is not enough for eternal salvation, should there be such a thing, then so be it.

God (again, assuming such) gave us freewill. To yeild that to ANY organization seems to me to be a direct affront to God's will.

Anyway, sorry for taking this off on a tangent.