wiring or designed to be set off by other electric devices. These might be
set off by an EMP surge. While most citizens don't have access to such
equipment, claymore mines and other explosives would be very dangerous to be
around at the start of a nuclear box if they weren't carefully stored away in a
Faraday box. Ammunition, mines, grenades and the like in large quantities
might be prone to damage or explosion by EMP
, but in general aren't all that
sensitive to EMP.
might be good to keep your ammo in a faraday box if you store larger qtys of it... find out how at...http://www.textfiles.com/survival/emp.pro (tks again youngunz for the link!)

either way, might be a good excuse to invest in some of those fine surplus metal ammo cans.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I store my ammo in surplus metal cans, but I can't imagine it would at all be vulnerable to an EMP.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Regular ammo would not be affected in the slightest. The only thing emp would possibly touch would be electic blasting caps. Fuse caps and the explosives themselves would be unharmed.

You are required to keep caps and explosives in a metal explosives safe anyway! If you are not you are insane, illigal and a very scary individual. Makes me think of that Indian explosives tech on the Red Green Show. !!!BOOM!!!

We're getting into a real tinfoil hat area when emp is spoken.

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
You are required to keep caps and explosives in a metal explosives safe anyway! If you are not you are insane, illigal and a very scary individual. Makes me think of that Indian explosives tech on the Red Green Show. !!!BOOM!!!
Allright another Red Green fan! Here's a quote from Edgar Montrose for ya!

"Ever notice that fast-burning fuse looks exactly the same as slow-burning fuse? I didn't... "

On behalf of myself and Harold and the whole gang up here at Possum Lodge... keep your stick on the ice. :D

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
where I was reading ammo had very minimal chances of being susceptible to electro-magnetic pulse... some exceptions are if you are in a grounded steel building with large girders etc, things that would tend to localize & amplify the effects... obviously brass isn't a big concern, but a lot of us keep steel cased ammo around, which potentially (acc to the article) could ignite in the right circumstance...

they suggested typical steel ammo cans with the ammo inside shielded from the can & the can not grounded.

their main concern was explosives, which isn't something most of us have in our arsenols.

·
Banned
4,094 Posts
I'm not disputing you, but from all the stuff I was taught EMP will only ruin electronics I keep an old metal ammo box for my small radios [frs/gmrs,am fm radio etc]

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
read the article, newer evidence from military testing seems to indicate that things are a bit different than their initial theories. It talks about a lot of encouraging info regarding electronics (might not be as bad as thought), and about simple ways to shield electronics for shtf scenarios. Also explains how things other than electronics can be endangered in certain unique situations.

http://www.textfiles.com/survival/emp.pro

It's a good read, prolly old news to most folks, but the newer info (at least new to me) was worth the read.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts