It’s the Hoopty she says

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by greg_r, Jun 28, 2020.

1. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

SWMBO started up about the hoopty again. Twice this week she said the person in front of her at the drive through paid for her order. (twice? How many times did you go through the drive through I wonder?) It’s your awesome good looks looks I say. "No it’s not (I did not say anything :confused:) it’s that damn jalopy you have me driving. They feel sorry for me.

I reminded her that one car is in the shop, and the other is broken too. Yep, transmission problems. Go figure.

I’m in the dog house now.

lklawson and yworrydog like this.
  2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    You know...we now have a leased GMC Terrain in the garage. Wife “needed” 4 wheel drive to get to work, and gas mileage too. It’s two miles to work, she could drive the truck, and mileage is secondary to comfort in my book.
    I got fed up with it and gave her what she wanted.

Rerun and lklawson like this.

3. I'm with you. At this point in my life I'm not worried about saving money to leave to the kid. Figure we worked for it, we should enjoy it.

7000al, Rerun, uncle mark and 4 others like this.
  4. Weird, you and I share the same first name and our wives may be sisters.

5. greg_r

she can have what she wants, she just will not find what she wants. we have a 3rd car that is down as well.Transmission too, it's not her fault though. Torque converter locked up. $300 repair bill it's a 2003 Dodge Caravan. I want to junk it, she wants to fix it. We will fix it.

Funny, she dosent much care about cars, just as long as it gets her from point a to point b. She dosent like car payments. The Crown Victoria is the first she has ever griped about. But again, she does not and never has liked fords. I actually like the thing. Rides extremely well, and handles well too. And its fast!

Our Sorrento should be back soon. When it gets here I am going to have our shop spray some paint on the Crown Vic and I am going to drive it. I will probably get in trouble with it.

7000al, Rerun, Pistolkitty and 3 others like this.
  6. rickm

rickm Member

Hmmm I had my truck in the shop this last week for a few days and they couldnt tell me when it would be out and i had to use the wifes van to get back and forth to work which she wasnt to happy with being stuck at home with no vehicule. I was about to call U Haul to rent a small truck when the shop called. Some Uhaul places rents pickups and small vans for $19.95 plus 58 cents a mile, it just sounds cheap if you dont have far to drive like me.

7. thundercroozer

thundercroozer Supporting Member

I'm not to worried about your vehicle situation,, I know you will figure it out,, if you know what is good for you..

I need someone to pay it forward (so to speak) SWMBO takes my youngest granddaughter to Mickey D's twice a week,, adds up over time..:(

8. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Hoopty is a ghetto term, BTW. Does it have tinted windows?
    Maybe ppl paying her tab are doing their
    Reparations? :bounce:

9. Chrysler Corp's "Ultradrive" A604 transmission is why I no longer buy anything Mopar. In the late 1990's early 2000's a number of family members owned five Caravans between us. They ALL suffered tranny failures; they were replaced under warranty. Then the replacement trannys failed as well, and then one of the replacements failed. I was ripped and called Chrysler and pointed out I was getting 60-65k between tranny failures. Much to the dealership's surprise, Chrysler agreed to replace it for free. Traded the last one I owned (inherited from my dad) in on a Hyundai and I've never looked back.

7000al, Rerun and Think1st like this.
  10. greg_r

Not tinted, but it does at least have windows!

undeRGRound likes this.
  11. greg_r

This one has 215,000 on it. Runs like a top, just will not move. It’s probably a $4000 car it would move. Problem is it will not.Stalls every time you put it in gear. Doesn’t matter if you try to move forward or backward.

I have come to like Kia. My brother drove a Sonata (I think, it was the van) No problems until someone ran a stop sign. T-boned and totaled it. My son has a Soul, and just bought a Telrude. The Sorrento would probably still be working right if somebody would not of kept putting it in drive while it was still rolling backwards.

Rerun, undeRGRound and moona11 like this.
  12. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Good lord, man! I wished I lived near you. Your wife's driving would pay for me to open up my own transmission shop. Around here it seems to be hub assemblies, master cylinders, water pumps, and radiators. Occasionally someone will lose 4WD or thrash a diff.

Rerun, undeRGRound and SWAGA like this.
  13. greg_r

I will give her credit. She has never crashed one. Unlike her hubby. :(

Rerun and moona11 like this.
  14. That's how I did in a Plymouth Horizon. I moonlighted driving a paper route back in the day to pay down some bills. Up at three, done at six. Lots of stop 'n go, backing up, etc. Tranny let go in someone's driveway and blocked them in.

When I called the ex to come pick me up at 5:30AM, she was like "Do I HAVE to?" There was a lotta sparks and smoking on that phone call.

Rerun likes this.
  15. greg_r

Reminds me of when I fell and effed up my knee.

CRASH!!! I hit the floor

she, sitting on the couch.....Are you OK?

me.....no!

she, still sitting on the couch.....do you need help?

me.....yes!

she, STILL sitting on the couch.....do you want me to call 911?

7000al, SWAGA, undeRGRound and 2 others like this.
  16. Pistolkitty

Pistolkitty Supporting Member

Geeze....
    I don't even know how to contribute to this thread. Y'all got some privileged swmbo's.

17. My wife does not drive... yet ;)

I hate the CVT transmission in my newer (2006) Ford Freestyle, after I sold the dead Kia Sportage. Its even worse when I turn on the AC, it takes 500-1,000 more rpm to get up to speed on a highway.. and takes even longer than the 1983 Ciera coupe with the 4 cyl/3 speed to get going from a dead stop. I wonder if its the transmission itself, or the stupidass computer control? Only has 117k miles.

18. greg_r

SWMBO is privileged, she deserves it putting up with me.

we like to rag on each other, something we laugh over. (she reads these threads, BTW. Most of them anyways.) I did cross the line once though. I had gotten up early and was sitting in the living room drinking coffee and watching TV. She came in and asked what was on TV. I replied "dust".

19. Pistolkitty

Pistolkitty Supporting Member

Thats only crossing the line if you both work outside the home full time.

Merle, Rerun and undeRGRound like this.
  20. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Sometimes you just gotta do something to shut em up, and smacking them is frowned on these days...:yikes:

SWAGA likes this.