It has begun!! My wife got me two reloading Presses

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by Visper, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

Like the title states, she went and done it... I told her I couldn't wait to get a reloading station set up in my "gun room".

Well she went out and surprised me for Christmas by getting me two.

Lee reloading.jpg

The Lee Precision Breech Lock Challenger Kit. Not my first choice as I was going to get a turret press kit. She said she wasn't sure what to get me and it came highly recommended. Plus she says its a great starter set to see if I like it first. That's a valid point so i'll go with it!!!

shotshell reloading press.jpg

She also got me the Mec 600 Jr Mark V 12. Its for shotshell.

She said she knew I had shotgun/rifle/pistol so she figured I would need both. I like the way she thinks!! I have done absolutely ZERO research on shotshell reloads. Seems simple enough, but I guess its time to read up on it.

Any input on either would be great!!:confused::rolleyes:

2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Isn't it fun when you find a keeper?

3. Visper

Yes it is, I figured her just keeping me around was a win!! All this other stuff is a bonus!!

4. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Both good presses, congratulations!

5. histed

histed Supporting Member

Not a thing wrong with that Lee press, Visper. Enjoy! Really great that she supports your "hobby" I agree with Rach - you got a keeper! BTW, how about a report on that shot reloader when you get rolling. Looked at 'em a lot but didn't take the plunge yet.

6. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    That is all good equipment, from what I have researched.
    It will serve you well until you get the A.P. press(es) :D
    EVERYONE says to start on a single stage until you develop
    some Mad Reloading SkillZ, so as to "learn the system"...
    Makes sense, cuz with the A.P. stuff, you can (and may!)
    load a bunch of squib loads before you find your error! :eek:

The LEE CAST CLASSIC is the preferred "bullet swaging" press
    for the economical introductory level swaging setups. For More
    Info, check out Cast Boolits forums. I first saw 'Ted over there
    iirc :D HI 'TED! You mean ol' BULLDOG! WOOF, WOOF! :rofl:

7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

You'll need to buy more of the Lee quick change lock bushings ASAP.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

8. rickm

rickm Member

Them are the same 2 presses i was given when i started and the Lee have served me well over the years that i have had it and will continue to in the future its the only press i have and use and see no need in a upgrade since i can load more on it than i can shoot. Yeah it is 1 step at a time but i have alot of free time this time of year when the weather is bad and nothing to do but sit around and look at the dumb tube so instead i sit at the bench and work on ammo in one way or another and i load for 15 different calibers at the moment and still adding its just another reason to buy more guns.
    I was given the Mec jr in 20 ga but has yet to load a single round on it since it is cheaper to buy factory rounds no more than i use a shotgun.

9. histed

histed Supporting Member

'LO MOLE. MERRY CHRISTMAS ana Happy Cheewbacca
    [​IMG]

10. EvilE424

EvilE424 Death to Dishonor Lifetime Supporter

Congrats visper enjoy it!

11. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    THIS is why you will Always Be My FAVORITE BULLDOG!!! :D

12. Visper

Exactly what I was thinking Kirk.

Will do histed. Have to get all the "supplies" still, wads, shot, powder, primers etc. Also still need to get me some dies for the Lee set also.

I hear the carbide sets are better, little to no lube required. My friends have told me about getting their dies stuck in the cases without enough lube... that sounds kinda like a different life experience but I won't go there :rofl:

Good point Mole.

I plan on using mine, I know a bunch of my friends wanted to do some trap shooting on my back 200 yd field. I think I'm going to need a lot...

Anyway, I need to decide on which dies to start with. I hear pistol caliber are the easiest to start with, so I'm thinking 40 S&W. Then maybe move on to 9mm even though it is so cheap to buy. I still think its a good idea to have the supplies/dies to load each of my calibers even if it is only for "emergency" purposes.

13. rickm

rickm Member

The carbide dies are great no lube needed on straight wall case but when you get into the bottle neck case you will need lube no matter what dies you use.

14. Visper

OK, good to know. Thank you!!

15. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

Tapered cases like the 9mm will need lube also. I use Hornady One Shot. Put the cases in a 9x12 cake pan, shoot them with the One Shot, shake them around a little, then run them through the press. It's much faster than hand lubing each case.

[​IMG]

16. Fracman

Fracman Member

Get one of these it will save on lube and time to lube the outside of the brass and the brush will lube the inside of the case neck.

Attached Files:

17. rickm

rickm Member

Hmmmm have done 10 thousands 9mm with the lee carbide dies and never lubed a single one of them and has yet to have one stick in a die.
    Quess i need to start lubing.

18. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

With my Lee carbide die I haven't had any get stuck in the die, but I've had plenty that fought like crazy going in dry. If you've never had a problem, great. One less step for you. Maybe I just end up getting a lot of Glock fired cases (range pick ups).

19. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

My dad got me the Breech Lock Challenger kit last year for Christmas... It's a great kit... Like was said previously, get extra bushings, 1 for each die. (the kit only comes with one) I also got a bushing to attach the powder measure directly to the powder through dies.

I've also never had any issues with my 9mm cases getting stuck in the carbide dies.

20. histed

histed Supporting Member