Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got these fog lights for my truck. Mounted them, hardwired them to the battery to make sure they work, aimed them. Everything is right and looks good. Now, I went to wire them up, and ran into a problem. This "kit" was just the lights, brackets, and a shitty little switch. The kit is designed to be turned with the switch, via direct battery power.

I figured I would forget to turn them off, and decided to wire them in to kick on when ever my headlights are on. So I built me a harness, dug a relay out of my tookbox, and got to wiring. Here is an quick MSPaint sketch of my wiring. Save for a fuse I forgot to draw in there, there is a 30A fuse between the battery and the relay.

Now, when I turn on the headlights, the relay clicks, so I know something inside is working right. I still don't have lights though. I'm thinking, bad relay? Does my wiring look right? I don't know, I spent about three hours trying to figure this out yesterday, and even posted on the truck tech forums. With no answer.

I don't know anymore.

·
You know who I am
9,304 Posts
Do the headlights still work or do they not come on either? The wiring looks right just from looking at it. Are you sure the relay is appropriate for the amount of voltage/amperage that a vehicle uses?

For a quick n dirty you could just splice the +12v for the fog lights into the +12v for your headlights. That'd let you know if the circuit has enough amperage to pull both the headlights and the fogs at the same time. It should in theory, but you never know.

·
Registered
851 Posts
+1 with SW.... DO NOT run the fogs directly off the head light, all you will do is blow fuses and tick yourself off. The only way that works is with a very heavy duty eletrical system.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Just wire the lights to the battery and use a fused switch to operate them. Only way I could wire some strobe lights to my personal car a while back.

·
Registered
205 Posts
man where do i start ahh crap nvm to long hahahhahaha

are there markings on the relay like 10 11 23 23a and 32 somethin like that

also put a switch between the headlights wire and your relay as well i know in some states if fogs are not required you can get a ticket and courtesy to others i know if someone is coming at me with fogs on and i cant see they get brightlighted and if they dont get a clue i stop on the side of the road and all 8 kcs come on i hate asshats that drive with their fogs on cause they think they look cool

ne ways yes fuse between battery and relay simple to do just get a 20 amp fuse and 2 female spades insurance is what we call that

if you were closer to tulsa i would come over and help you but you are just a lil to far away

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I got the fuse covered, just forgot to draw it in the diagram.

....Here is an quick MSPaint sketch of my wiring. Save for a fuse I forgot to draw in there, there is a 30A fuse between the battery and the relay....
I just went and played with it a bit since I can't sleep. I have no power at the "green" part of my relay.

And Orion, I think it's labeled 30, 85, 86, and 87. I looked at it a lot yesterday, and I'm pretty sure those numbers are right. I'm thinking there is an open somewhere after the "arm" on the switch side. It's clicking so I know the "arm" is getting "thrown." I'm not even sure this relay is good, I don't usually keep bad parts just lying around. That's the only thing I can think of.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I already found one on Radio shacks website. It looks like the exact same one too.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't need 10 though, lol. It would be cool to have a preterminated pigtail to go with it too, make it look neater. Right now it's ugly covered in black tape and some wire loom.

·
You know who I am
9,304 Posts
I don't need 10 though, lol. It would be cool to have a preterminated pigtail to go with it too, make it look neater. Right now it's ugly covered in black tape and some wire loom.
You can never have enough components lying around man! I have about 500 LEDs, 10+ switches, relays, diodes, capacitors, resistors, etc. in compartments in my tool cabinet. You never know when you might need some! Need a flashlight and don't have one? Grab a 9v battery, a resistor and some LEDs and you are good to go!

·
Banned
5,286 Posts
shake the relay.. if it rattles, its junk... It can click (activate) but if it isn't touching both terminals it isn't gonna make a connection. Run into this alot with turn signal relays and Starter Relays on scooters...

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I spent some time today during lunch running around to the parts stores. O'reilly and the 'Zone sell the same cheap relay I have now. As a last ditch resort I went to NAPA(I have that place for some reason) and found a little heavier duty relay in their little lighting section. I asked the lad behind the counter to see their Doorman book, and I found a pigtail that would match the relay. Asked him how long it would take to get it. He was like "You know, we have a Bosch kit here if you'd like to take a look at it"

He brought me out this.

HEAVY duty shielded relay, very tightly put together pigtail with eight(8) guage wire for the power side, and 14g wire for the switch side, instructions, and some of those butt conectors with the solder build into them. The kit was $4 more than their cheap relay and the Doorman pigtail. I think I'm set.

·
Banned
5,286 Posts
I hate when kits have 1 wire color...

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lol, I've gotten used to it. The first truck I ever build, I was 15 or so and stuffed an BBC into a first gen S10. The truck was just what they call a rolling chassis. I built the entire harness out of black, 10g wire. I'm serious, from headlights to tag lights, every wire was the same.

·
Banned
5,286 Posts
Lol, I've gotten used to it. The first truck I ever build, I was 15 or so and stuffed an BBC into a first gen S10. The truck was just what they call a rolling chassis. I built the entire harness out of black, 10g wire. I'm serious, from headlights to tag lights, every wire was the same.
When I first started wiring neons, strobes, and such on cars, I used all 16g black wire... Then I learned real quick to use different colored wires..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts