Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got these fog lights for my truck. Mounted them, hardwired them to the battery to make sure they work, aimed them. Everything is right and looks good. Now, I went to wire them up, and ran into a problem. This "kit" was just the lights, brackets, and a shitty little switch. The kit is designed to be turned with the switch, via direct battery power.

I figured I would forget to turn them off, and decided to wire them in to kick on when ever my headlights are on. So I built me a harness, dug a relay out of my tookbox, and got to wiring. Here is an quick MSPaint sketch of my wiring. Save for a fuse I forgot to draw in there, there is a 30A fuse between the battery and the relay.

Now, when I turn on the headlights, the relay clicks, so I know something inside is working right. I still don't have lights though. I'm thinking, bad relay? Does my wiring look right? I don't know, I spent about three hours trying to figure this out yesterday, and even posted on the truck tech forums. With no answer.

I don't know anymore.

· Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I got the fuse covered, just forgot to draw it in the diagram.

....Here is an quick MSPaint sketch of my wiring. Save for a fuse I forgot to draw in there, there is a 30A fuse between the battery and the relay....
I just went and played with it a bit since I can't sleep. I have no power at the "green" part of my relay.

And Orion, I think it's labeled 30, 85, 86, and 87. I looked at it a lot yesterday, and I'm pretty sure those numbers are right. I'm thinking there is an open somewhere after the "arm" on the switch side. It's clicking so I know the "arm" is getting "thrown." I'm not even sure this relay is good, I don't usually keep bad parts just lying around. That's the only thing I can think of.

· Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't need 10 though, lol. It would be cool to have a preterminated pigtail to go with it too, make it look neater. Right now it's ugly covered in black tape and some wire loom.

· Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I spent some time today during lunch running around to the parts stores. O'reilly and the 'Zone sell the same cheap relay I have now. As a last ditch resort I went to NAPA(I have that place for some reason) and found a little heavier duty relay in their little lighting section. I asked the lad behind the counter to see their Doorman book, and I found a pigtail that would match the relay. Asked him how long it would take to get it. He was like "You know, we have a Bosch kit here if you'd like to take a look at it"

He brought me out this.

HEAVY duty shielded relay, very tightly put together pigtail with eight(8) guage wire for the power side, and 14g wire for the switch side, instructions, and some of those butt conectors with the solder build into them. The kit was $4 more than their cheap relay and the Doorman pigtail. I think I'm set.

· Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I hate when kits have 1 wire color...
Lol, I've gotten used to it. The first truck I ever build, I was 15 or so and stuffed an BBC into a first gen S10. The truck was just what they call a rolling chassis. I built the entire harness out of black, 10g wire. I'm serious, from headlights to tag lights, every wire was the same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.