Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first few trips to the range with my new C9 each had 3-5 FTF’s per 100 rounds. No biggie, I chalked it up to break in and operator error. My last trip had an unusual amount of FTF with the round tipping up at a 45 degree angle. So I decided it was time to check the feed lips. Found that all three of my magazines were tight at .335 instead of the .345 that’s recommended. Adjusted the feed lips and took off for the range.

The first two mags, one loaded with BB the other with WWB, were flawless. The next one, loaded with WWB, had one FTF (decided later on that it was probably operator error).

Next I loaded a mag with Speers Gold Dot hollow points and another with Aguila hollow points. I noticed right off that the Speers was hard to chamber the first round. Had three FTF’s and two instances of the slide not returning fully forward in one 8 round magazine. I was not impressed.

I then loaded the C9 with the Aguila mag. She ate ‘em up and spit ‘em out like Lindsay Lohan on a Twinkie binge. No problems and a nice tight group. I sent another 4 Aguila’s, 22 BB and 34 WWB’s rounds down range to finish out the day. Not one feed problem!

Some observations on the different rounds:
Length of a typical BB round – 1.155 inch.
Speer Gold Dot – 1.125-1.128
Aguila HP – 1.055

The Aguila is a much shorter round with a more rounded nose. I think this contributes greatly to the lack of feed problems. It’s also slightly heavier; 117 gr compared to 115 gr on all the other rounds. I paid about the same price for a box of 50 Aguila as I did for 20 Speers. At that price, I think I’ll send a few more down range just to make sure they will be a reliable PD round.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Takes some break-in but good deal. I have not heard of Aguila ammunition before. Is that something you purchased locally?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought it at the gun show. I haven't seen any around locally, but I have seen it mentioned elsewhere on this site

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
You can usually find Aguila at a local gun shop. I have never seen Wal-Mart carry it, but that doesn't mean anything in and of itself. I've shot some Aguila with pretty good results, but some guns don't like it that much. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
I shoot it in my c9 and the 995. I have had no issues with the Aguila. Usually find it at the Gunshop. $26 for a box of 50. Can't beat it for hollow points.
Keep the Aguila loaded at all times. Switch to BB for plinking. Never a problem. Choke on occasion using WWB so I stick with what's been working.

G

·
I too have used Aguila amo with no problem. I usually buy what my shop has on sale. I do know I won't ever buy anymore Wolf. It is just too dirty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts