It's the end!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by slade601, Oct 16, 2015.

1. slade601

slade601 Member

For wasr's for awhile it seems. Just saw on the ak operators union that they confirmed cugir Romania will no longer be importing them due to focusing on contracts in the Middle East.

Guess I got mine in time...

2. slade601

slade601 Member

On a separate note... I have one for sale. Starting at $1000.

3. talon

talon the banned wagon

I find this rather hard to believe, as that's a major slice of thier business.
    Nor can i find any information confirming this from any official source.

Nor do i even see anything about it on the AK operators union page.

4. slade601

slade601 Member

5. talon

talon the banned wagon

Guess we will see. I still can't find anything online verifying it.

6. slade601

slade601 Member

I couldn't either but that post was still recent.

7. talon

talon the banned wagon

I believe you that its on FB. It just seems very odd to give up a fairly large market.
    Supposedly it was original posted by Yeager in a short 18second youtube video, but its not the first time he has falsely made a claim about a product. That's why im still very much on the fence about it being factual.

Id more believe that Century was going to slow down WASR imports to try to push thier own line of American AKMs. I can believe its a marketing scheme, but one that personally i think will backfire because it will create a push for WASR's.......only for Century to raise prices and "save the day" by reintroducing them at a price increase.

8. slade601

slade601 Member

From everything they've been posting about the ras-47 being horrible I could believe it. They just edited it though saying this is not going to be permanent.

9. talon

talon the banned wagon

They're purists. The negativity has little fact behind it. Yea, cast trunnions are not ideal, but they aren't a death sentence like you'd be lead to believe. And yes, VERY early in the run some of the bolt faces weren't properly heat treated and some mushroomed but thats not uncommon for any brand with a new product to have some quality bugs. Ive got 2 of thier milled units, and zero issues with either.
    Its kinda like expecting a chevy website to say the new Ford truck is great. It won't happen.
    To them, if its not an Arsenal or a milled polish folder its crap.

10. slade601

slade601 Member

Those are always the two exact complaints. But of course you have people who will swear by theirs and have had no issues. I would love for the American aks to match imported quality. I've personally never tried one so can't say much in the matter.

11. talon

talon the banned wagon

Its the same thing as Glock fanbois crying HiPoints are junk because they have a cast zamac slide and yep there's a picture of a broken one on the internet so they must all be bad.....you know how wrong that is.
    Yes milled is a percentage stronger, but casting has come a long way. I work in an investment casting facility for aerospace, every us, and most foriegn fighter jet, and as of july 87% of every commercial airplane in the sky uses engines cast at my plant. Casting works.

12. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I heard, one time, that casting can be stronger than milling, if done right, just by virtue of the alignment of the molecules in the metal. It isn't as strong as forging, but it apparently can have its own value.

Is there any truth to this?

13. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Subbing for AK updates...

Hey "T" is $620 + IN sales tax an OK deal on a WASR 10?

14. slade601

slade601 Member

Paid $600 for mine new minus tax. If it's one of the newer models id go for it. Everything checked out fine. Everyone seems to agree their QC has greatly improved.

Came with with cleaning kit, oil bottle, sling, and mag.

But I'm not T....

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  15. talon

talon the banned wagon

It is definitely strong. I don't know what process they are using to be able to say they do it nearly as strong as milled, but, in general it should be strong enough to last a good long time issue free.

That's not bad no. Theyre $599 at my LGS at least as of last week when i last was in there.

16. Kiln

Kiln Member

New IO AK's are awesome. That's the route I'd go. I have an older IO AK that works perfectly but fit is sloppy and the gun is made from mis-matched parts on a US made receiver.

My brother bought one of the new ones and they're well made and very tight. Wish I had one of their new ones because they're considerably better built than mine but hey, mine works flawlessly so I can't complain much!

17. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Huh. My Saiga was $170, new, tight, and Russian

My WASR was under $375, used, but still solid. Had to screw the flash hider back on, it was deflecting bullets badly.
    Swapped the black Tapco out for some blonde laminate, and it's a nice weapon.

I see absolutely no reason to spend money on a newer AK.;)

18. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    My Saiga IZ-132 was $499, right before the panic, and my fully-converted one was $599 about a year after it. I would still like to go get one of the new IO AKs, though. That all-black one at Classic runs only $499, and the barrel is nitrited. I saw the one with the wood furniture at the range, once, and like Kiln said, that thing was very well constructed with some really tight tolerances.

I almost bought one, but with the permission to get a new gun for a special occasion, I opted for the 4595TS just because I already had two AK pattern rifles and didn't have a .45ACP carbine.

19. talon

talon the banned wagon

I on the other hand, wouldn't take an IO gun if someone else paid for it.
    Ive personally seen enough IO failures to not even think about ever owning one.

20. slade601

slade601 Member

So on the topic of that, what makes the century made ras better than the io? Seeing as how most of the complaints are mainly those two. Just curious.

And aren't tight tolerances kinda the opposite to an ak?