Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First firearm I ever owned was a S&W Sigma .40 I bought in May 2007 as a 21st Birthday gift to myself...ended up selling it the following August after putting 700rds through it...

This weekend I'll be picking up a Sigma 9mm, as I miss having a personal pistol and I really liked the look and feel of my old Sigma...

My old one:

My soon-to-be new one:

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Y'know...I looked into buying one of these a while back. Did some research online and read nothing but bad things about them (and S&W's semi-auto pistols in general.) I've spoken with a few people on this board who've run them, though, and they've raved. Not quite sure what to think anymore... :(

·
You know who I am
9,304 Posts
It's pretty, but I haven't heard anything good about the S&W triggers either. A buddy of mine has an M&P that works pretty well, but I probably would have just bought a Glock (that's what those S&Ws like you have are designed after anyway).

Oh well, it's whatever makes you happy and works for you! 'Tis your gun after all :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you know what your doing then the trigger is not a problem, its one of the most accurate pistols ive ever fired and has never failed me. That said there are better choices but this one is great for what it is. I see it as a better looking hi point, it is cheap but works better then people say it does.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
I have one of the SW9VE's and I love it. It is very accurate and very easy to shoot. From what I know about them, they redid them in 99 or 2000 it think because they were having issues and no one liked them. These new 2nd gen ones are wonderful though. The trigger pull is pretty strong at 12lbs but it is very smooth and consistent. I read that the trigger was set so heavy for safety, because it was supposed to be used for police and military purposes. Who know really but thats what I read.

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
My Sigma was the first pistol I've ever owned. It will be in my family for a long time and passed on to my kids...

Good for you on getting another one.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
That's why you are never supposed to sell your guns, you always end up buying them back and costing yourself more money, lesson learned early on

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The trigger pull is pretty bad, but I read a how-to on another forum about polishing the sear block cuts the pull down to less than half what it was before...apparently S&W designed the trigger that hard to pull because of a few ADs with the Glock the pistol was based on when officers re-holstered...

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I picked it up this morning...feels familiar :)

And just in time for the CCW course on monday night...

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I forgot how light it was, even fully loaded!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Hey Ridge.

Nice family portrait there. How the Sigma working out? Both of mine are going strong and working better with each mag I put through them.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I havent had time to put a mag through it yet, sadly...working full time while also a part time student really doesnt give me much free time, but gives me more cash to spend at places like LaRue Tactical 8)

Now if only I could find some affordable ammo...seems like the only places that have ammo left are Gander Mountain and the local shooting range, both of which employ a noticable markup...man I miss the days of 2008 when you could buy all the ammo you wanted at Wal Mart and went back a week later and it was restocked :'(

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
I have never shot on of those, but a friend of mine has one of those. I just don't like how it feels. It just feels too much like a hollow toy. Perhaps I can convince him to come down to the range and I can test it out. :D

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Congrats on you new one. I've only heard good about them - except the hard pull - but that's learnable.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Put two mags through it today...trigger pull still goes on forever :D

I did manage to shoot a torso target quite nicely, doing a hail mary (1 on the nose, one on each shoulder blade, one over the sternum and again in the neck)

My buddy tossed all the targets after we were done, though :(

Took out my AR in .22...got around 150rds through it before we started having issues left and right (double feeding, failures to eject, light strikes, etc) so we called it a day...

·
Registered
51 Posts
My roommate had one, shot alright but I was comparing it to my sr9 which I loved. I have a S&W M&P compact in .40 and I love it, besides my 1911 it is by far my favorite gun and quite accurate

1 - 18 of 18 Posts