Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
You know who I am
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm leaning towards a DPMS, but I've heard that they can be picky about interchanging parts and stuff. What do you guys recommend? Preferably keep the budget under $1000.

Thanks!

EDIT: Oh, and by the way I'd prefer a 16" barrel.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
I got a M4 kit from del ton for $485 I believe, and a stripped lower from essential arms for $89 but I got mine last year from del-ton in about 4 days, now they are on 12-16 week backorder, :( but if you are willing to wait it is a good gun, mine has not failed me once yet,

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
i prefer bushmaster an dhave had nothing but good luck with teh exception of the carbon 15 rifles. stay away from those, bad juju. DPMS is fine but overpriced most of the time. you picked a bad timeto buy an AR they are wayh in high demand and priced accordingly. 1000$ wont even buy you a craptastic century right now. for that kind of money you could get into an AR-180 or maybe a used galil clone.

SW

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
My dealer has a plain jane DPMS on the shelf for 879 along with a coulpe of Arsenal Saiga AKs.

He has other stuff too but those are the ones I noticed.

·
You know who I am
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most local stores around here have AR in the $750-800 range. After looking at Del-Ton that M4 kit looks really nice. In fact it's just about exactly what I'm looking for :) I think I'll order one of those bad boys as soon as I get the money (hopefully 2 or 3 weeks). If I understand correctly, since this rifle kit doesn't come with the lower I don't have to bother with the FFL stuff correct? That is until I get a lower from somewhere, which will have to be FFL shipped, right?

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
yes the lower has to be shipped to an FFL. also if you're going to build it yourself you will need a combo wrench and various other hand tools. its not for the faint of heart or the weak of hand. if you arent 100% confident you can build it, buy one already assembled to familiarize yourself with the weapon system.

SW

·
You know who I am
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't see building it being a problem. I've taken plenty of different weapons all the way apart for cleaning (I do it as a bit of a side business) and repairs. Thanks for the advice though. I'm always up for something new and challenging :)

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
also check the ar15 site they got some good guides for assembly, the kit is easy to put together, the lower parts kit is a bit more difficult from my experience, nut still should not take too long to put together,

·
Registered
452 Posts
There are lots of parts of DPMS parts available. Wow.. Were you guys live is way over priced. Out here everyone and there dog has one. I payed a year ago for a new never fired 420.00 out the door. Now mind you now I've got over 2 grand into that dam thing. I need to take some pics.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got an Olympic Arms K30... which is the AR-15 platform but it shoots the more effective 7.62 x 39mm cartridges... it's the m4, will take another month for me to recieve but, it looks just like a regular AR-15 but has a black bananna clip like an AK... it cost me right around $1,000 after all is said and done... check them out on Atlantic Arms... they have a sweet pic of it there... .223 and 5.56 ammo is very expensive and not as fun to shoot as the 7.62 ammo in my opinion...

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I should have bought one two years ago... I cannot believe how much prices have jumped lately. I held off because I have always heard that AR builds are very finicky... that is one reason why I went with the SKS, since it is extremely forgiving in terms of cleaning, etc. It is a snap to disassemble, too.

I have heard some bad stuff about Bushmaster, but SW seems to have had good luck with them. My local guy has a couple in stock for $1100, but I am not sure what model they are. Might have to check them out next time I am over there (if he still has them, that is).

·
Registered
666 Posts
I just wish I could get a grand out of my wife for a gun. :'( :'( :'( :D

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Dont rule out Stag as they have great products. I have a rock river and like it as well.

Yes AR's are in high demand but I can still find them locally for decent prices. One of the local stores had stripped lowers the other day and the price was decent as well. I think I might pick one up for the heck of it.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Dont rule out Stag as they have great products. I have a rock river and like it as well.

Yes AR's are in high demand but I can still find them locally for decent prices. One of the local stores had stripped lowers the other day and the price was decent as well. I think I might pick one up for the heck of it.
Got any 16" barrels kickin' around you'd like to trade for a 20"? ;)

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I just wish I could get a grand out of my wife for a gun. :'( :'( :'( :D
I didn't ask. I just did it. I found a S&W M&P15 at my favorite store for $999.99 the day after the elections and just bought it. I got about 24 hours of silence from my wife and then when we cooled off I very calmly explained that this was a thing that I had always wanted and that it was pretty much turning into a now or never situation. Either they would be legislated or priced out of my hands and that I didn't want her to be responsible for me always regretting losing the chance to own one. Worked well enough.

·
You know who I am
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I ordered the lower :) 12-16 weeks though :( But hey at least I have one coming! Hopefully I'll get the rest of the kit ordered in the next 3-4 weeks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts