Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I got pulled over about a month ago. I'm not telling you what got me the tickets but I ended up with over a thousand $ worth of tickets. Ok I'm fine with that I didnt go to jail like I should have.

Now Ive been pulled over 4 more times for stupid things like half my middle breaklight was out on my trunk or I was following to close. I got pulled over for going around a big bump in the middle of the road that would have made my car scrape.

Now I am getting harassed each one of these times I was pulled out and searched thoroughly.

Last night I was pulled over for the following to close, by this time Im getting pissed off about getting pulled over and not even doing anything wrong. I kinda argued with the cop for a sec I quit after a couple words like 2 when I realized it wasn't going to do any good.

He wrote me a ticket for the following to close and no insurance I had misplaced my insurance verification due to being pulled over an outrageous number of times. I had insurance.

Is there any thing i can do about this. It is a small town so the cops all know who I am that's why they keep pulling me over hoping they can get lucky again.

After he let me go I got a few blocks away and stomped on the gas. Then i realize he is behind me but about 3 blocks away. About this time I am going past the city limit sign. He backed off I just kept going.

I get home go to work the next day go to sleep then I wake up in the morning to a mail man beating on my door. I didnt get there in time he was pulling out of the drive. I call the post office to see what the deal was and now they have a certified letter with my name on it from the city.

Can the cop wright me another ticket without pulling me over again??

and besides I just needed to get it off the chest. I dont know what I'm going to do the majority of the money is due Monday the 31 and I dont even have a quarter of it. I cant just fork out a 1000 bucks I dont make that good of money I dont have it. Any ways they are considering sending me to jail if I dont pay up. These small town are a racket and dont even give you a chance to make right.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
I'm not sure harass is the right term. You are being pulled over for valid reasons and with your history (they see your history when they run your plate prior to pulling you over) they probably think you may be hiding something. Also, being a small town the word is out on you and your driving history, so when they see your car they are naturally going to take a closer look. It doesn't sound like you are in the situation you are in for no reason. The money thing is another issue, if you did not pay the tickets when you got them you were not being responsible, and just now thinking what to do about all the money is just plain not smart. Sell your guns or hock some of your stuff or just pay the piper and do the time. In you situation, you might be better off doing the jail time if you won't have to pay the fines, heck they will even give you free food during your stay.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the way there court system is set up is that there is already a specific day given in each month for court. If you get your ticket say 3 days before the court date you still have to pay or show up on that day even though it has only been say 3 days. my paychecks run every 2 weeks I only had 3 weeks being I only got one pay check in between having to pay or go to court. They are wanting 75 percent of the amount. I cant generate that amount of money in the time they have gave me.

I think that after the 3rd time being pulled over with nothing found on all three searches. That is crossing the line in to harrasment.

Im not saying I dont deserve to be looked at a bit closer but I mean come on everyone makes a mistake every once in a while it doesnt mean that im going to be out there the next day doing the same thing. I mean I made a mistake give me a break...

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
You didn't get a ticket for $1000 dollars and have to pay it 3 days later did you? You had a bunch of tickets built up with I'm guessing some penalties included and when you went to court the last time they said pay or else. You knew prior to getting pulled over this last time that you were skipping on paying, at least that's what is sounds like to me. I can't possibly think of a single offense that would get you a $1000 fine other than DUI which you ruled out.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was 3 tickets all at once and no I didnt skip and I had 3 weeks I only got one check in between. There were no penalty no fees no court cost this is the first time I will go to court. I found thier process out by going to see how much the tickets were about a week after I got them. After realizing that I could not pay them on time I realized I must go to court and the way they talked if I didnt have the money Im F##KED.....

All of this has happened within a months time. The town has a court date in which everyone that month that has gotten a ticket must show up or pay by that day..

and by the way you hit close to what one of the first initial tickets were...

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
First off, go to court and plead not guilty. Depending on what the caseload is like, the officer(s) are present, etc. it will probably get kicked to a new date for an actual trial. This gives you more time to come up with the cash. If the Judge wants to have it right then, tell him you are looking for an atty to represent you and ask for a continuance.

Second, consult an atty. Most have a free consultation where they will tell you if they think they can help. Can't hurt anything to get a pro's opinion. Depending on what the citations were for, you may be able to plead them down and or get them dismissed. Show up for your court date, if the officer doesn't show it's an automatic win, if the Judge wants to continue it so the cop can appear raise an abjection about how you have to take time off from work, you respect the Judicial process enough to be there and apparently the cop had more important things to do, etc. Check with your clerk of courts, around here anyway fines can be paid off in installments, just don't miss a payment or they can give you the jail time.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First off, go to court and plead not guilty. Depending on what the caseload is like, the officer(s) are present, etc. it will probably get kicked to a new date for an actual trial. This gives you more time to come up with the cash. If the Judge wants to have it right then, tell him you are looking for an atty to represent you and ask for a continuance.

Second, consult an atty. Most have a free consultation where they will tell you if they think they can help. Can't hurt anything to get a pro's opinion. Depending on what the citations were for, you may be able to plead them down and or get them dismissed. Show up for your court date, if the officer doesn't show it's an automatic win, if the Judge wants to continue it so the cop can appear raise an abjection about how you have to take time off from work, you respect the Judicial process enough to be there and apparently the cop had more important things to do, etc. Check with your clerk of courts, around here anyway fines can be paid off in installments, just don't miss a payment or they can give you the jail time.
Thanks thats what I was needing it gives me a little more to play with.

I didnt post here to be critisized about the things I have done it was only for the sole purpose of figuring out what im going to do.

Thanks shady

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Don't sweat it. Alot of small-towns will set up a patment plan for you. I woke up one morning to cops pounding on my door and telling me that I was busted for littering at which point they wrote me a ticket. they then walked around the back of my house and litterally began writing out violations in mass. By the time it was all said and done. I ended up with over 2000 in fines for a bunch of stupid crap. The littering charge was for a candy wrapper laying beside the road that didn't even come from me.
anyway, after consulting an attorney which ended up representing for free, he got me off on everything but the littering charge which was still mor than I had at the time. I ended up making 4 payments instead of the whole amount.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
No, you're not being harassed, harassment would be following you around trying to force you into a driving error. Just quit giving them reasons to pull you over, IE brake lights! Call down to the CoC and ask for a delay on your date, sometimes you can get one no problem. Get a consult with a lawyer, the insurance charge will be dropped when you show up in court with proof of insurance.

Lastly, see if you can arrange a ride along with an officer, it'll give you a little insight to the situation. Don't bring donuts.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ahh nice I did I forgot about that......................

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Ever been in trouble before? Pretrial intervention aka PTI may be your ticket to saving some money, as PTI is cheaper than the fines.
Court date only 3 days after the ticket was issued? Negative ghost rider, the pattern is full. The law here in SC is 10 day minimum, unless you agree to come to court sooner. I suggest you search your state code of laws and verify them with the LE agency you're dealing with.

If your court date is 3 days, I know what the ticket was for... let me just say I'm disappointed. It is common practice to setup a short court date with the offender, in lieu of going to jail, just to get that person a room in the gray bar hotel for a while. (and essentially off of the street)

But check your state's laws in regards to the time limits between the date of issue and date of court... let me know what you find.
/facepalm

edit: I threw a firecracker out of my car and was issued a 300 dollar fine for noise violation. I got the "Adjudication Withheld", and after washing police cars for 3 hours a day for 6 days, It was like the ticket and incident had disappeared. Got a talent of shining up a car? Go for it... Police like their cruisers to shine! (and you don't have the cash needed to pay)

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Goodness there seems to be a lot of people on this board who do odd things on the road. I do my best to follow all the rules and not do anything to draw attention to myself when driving. The only ticket I got was when I was 17.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts