Iwo Jima

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by 0311, Feb 23, 2015.

1. monsterdawg

monsterdawg Member

My Grandfather was on a ship watching the flag being raised. He said they raised it once, and before it was completely up, the Japanese shot it down. The picture that is so famous was the second time they raised it, according to him.

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    The stories I read were that the first was taken down by the Marines to put up a bigger one, which was when the famous photo was taken.

3. monsterdawg

monsterdawg Member

He said that "they shot it down" and the men went back and raised it again. I don't remember him saying if it was a different flag, but I remember vividly him sitting in his green recliner saying that. It's possible I am confusing it with something else, I suppose, sometimes the brain puts things together that don't go together:).

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    No sweat, monster, you could ask any 100 military guys about something and get 50 stories, and none of them would be lying.. :p

From the ship, I'm sure it looked exactly like what he said. And you can bet, I'd never bother correcting him, those guys earned the right to think whatever they darned well wanted..:)

5. monsterdawg

monsterdawg Member

Sure wish I could ask him about it now.

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Amen, brother.

7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I have a friend at Church who was there.

I don't ask him jack about it and he doesn't volunteer. The one time he spoke about it was when he was remembering his late younger brother, who was there also, on a different ship.

My Monster-in-Law's current husband is a Vietnam vet and his father was a D-Day vet. I recall distinctly one conversation with the younger who related to me, one day, a brief interaction with his dad (both named John). "Dad, you've never told me anything about what happened over there on D-Day." "You're right son. You've never told me anything about what happened in Vietnam." And the conversation ended there.

I don't ask.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk