Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with this Polish P64 9mm Makarov? Price seems right and it looks like a nice piece of history as well. J&G tells me that it is a "pleasant shooter". I realize the caliber 9X18 and not 9X19 Luger.

See: http://www.jgsales.com/product_info...plus-condition/cPath/385/products_id/2453?SID

Price $159.95 without mags.
First off, J&G are the only ones in existence with extra mags.

"Pleasant shooter" is accurate, if you can hold on tight AFTER replacing the springs. I have 2 of 'em, and one is my CCW.

Accurate, but only 6+1. It's small and powerful, just like the other weapon I conceal in my pants ;)

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
IT'S NOT A Makarov! Don't call it one around any collectors you may get a major lecture.

The P-64 is however a good quality pistol. It is somewhat unpleasant to shoot if you don't replace the recoil spring. The double action trigger pull SUCKS, single is very nice. They are very easy to conceal and make a good CCW. You can clean up the double action with a little work and new springs. I have medium/large sized hands and get slide bite if I'm not careful.

The price should include 1 mag. I spotted a few at a gun show in the Houston area 2 weeks ago for $165.00 to $180.00 with 1 mag.

I have one I picked up 3 or 4 years ago. I think I paid $75.00.

Ron M.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
What they are selling is a Polish p-64 pistol chambered for the 9x18 Makarov cartridge. The Makarov pistol is a Russian design built by many former eastern block countries. The Makarov was designed by Nikolay Fyodorovich Makarov. The P-64 was designed during the late fifties by a team of Polish army officers. This web site can explain better that I all the differences.

http://p64resource.com/

Ron M.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I think it is not a C&R. Poland is still a country and the pistol is less that 100 years old.

Ron M.

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
Are you sure it's 100 yrs? I thought it was 50. My Yugo was made in '47 and my Mosin was made in '42 and they are C&R and both countries still exist.... Just curious. :thinking:

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Yugoslavia and the USSR don't exist as far as I know. Yugoslavia is now 4 or 5 smaller countries and the USSR is a whole bunch of different countries too.

I think if a fire arm is more than 50 years old ( and no longer made) it can be declared a C&R but, I think the standard is 100 years.

This I think is correct unless I missed something in the news lately.

Ron M.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Yugoslavia and the USSR don't exist as far as I know. Yugoslavia is now 4 or 5 smaller countries and the USSR is a whole bunch of different countries too.

I think if a fire arm is more than 50 years old ( and no longer made) it can be declared a C&R but, I think the standard is 100 years.

This I think is correct unless I missed something in the news lately.

Ron M.
I was hoping someone would post the correct info, but I guess I will:

Taken from: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios/index.htm
Firearms automatically attain curio or relic (C&R) status when they are 50 years old. Any firearm that is at least 50 years old, and in its original configuration, would qualify as a C&R firearm. It is not necessary for such firearms to be listed in ATF's C&R list. However, if your C&R item is regulated under the National Firearms Act (NFA) and you desire removal from the provisions of the NFA, you must submit the firearm to the Firearms Technology Branch for evaluation and a formal classification.

In short, unless it's on the ATF list -or- it's in its unmodified form 50 years of age or older, it's NOT C&R.

P64's were made mostly in the 60's and 70's (I own 2 and both of mine are dated in the 70's), so not 50 years yet, and not on the approved list. If you find one that is stamped 1959 or older, it's automatically C&R, but that doesn't mean EVERY P64 becomes C&R.

I also don't know any rule stating if the Country of Origin is disbanded, it's automatically C&R.

And from J&G's site:
These are Polish Model P64 (Official designation "9 mm pistolet") semi auto pistols chambered in 9x18 Makarov. Originally manufactured in Poland during late 1950s and early 1960s, as a compact and lightweight replacement for Tokarev TT pistols, these pistols were used by both Polish military and police. Features blued steel frame, double action trigger, loaded chamber indicator, and decocking safety. Comes with one 6rd magazine. Majority of our inventory was produced in the 1970's. In very good plus condition. NOT C&R ELIGIBLE.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I stand corrected. I don't have or want a C&R, I was reading what was bad info from an old flyer on what the C&R was proposed to be.

Ron M.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.