Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the local gun store (again) and picked this ole monster up. No rust on any metal..the wood has some dents and dings..but overall in pretty nice shape. (I ain't gonna shoot it regardless..heh)
I'll get some more pics of it outside in good lighting soon. Why buy it?..It's old and needed a home I guess. 8)

(I messed with the camera settings last night..should not have done that)

·
Banned
2,485 Posts
can't tell from the pics but aren't the rear sights solid, non-adjustable? and is the buttplate wooden? Need some detail pics of the receiver and it's numbers and marks on the side. I know what you paid and you still did good no matter what.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got 10 more pics (still inside but better quaility) In order to not make this post a mile long with pics I just made a quick page instead.

View HERE

Any kind of info would be pretty cool to learn about it. I know they were bare-bones, last ditch, rifles. My gun guy says they are getting hard to find..and he would not shoot one either hahaha. Thanks all.

·
Banned
2,485 Posts
yep it is a last ditch t99 arisaka, not safe to shoot anymore, wasn't very safe back when it was new either. Japanese metal quality and treating standards were almost worthless at the end of the war when these rifles were made. The crest you are referring to should look like this one I have on mine. Japs ground off the crest when the rifles were surrendered to the allies because it was a disgrace to the emperor.

The mum in the picture is the emperors symbol and the writing below it means "Type 99"

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Outta make a nice wall hanger/conversation peice. (or to toss up in the WTS-WTT section and see what happens) Not as sweet as the one in your pic Krippp for sure..mine looks to have been rode hard and put away wet to that one.
Are they getting hard to find, as my gun guy said, or just that no one buys them?

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
Yeah, i want to get a last ditch t99 for the history, i plan on getting a really nice early t99 first.

but awesome rifle man, but i agree, don't shoot it.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Yep, a wall hanger for sure those late wars are scary, I have an early war series 5 type 99 a great shooter, If any one is looking for one I suggest you look for one with the mum intact, makes a big difference in appearance.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Defiantly not at shooter as a last ditch. That one's a good example of one, looks to be in good shape. I have a Type 99 Long - It's a fun one to shoot - I'm reloading for it. They did not make too many of the 99 longs - I can't image using that beast in combat - I can see why they phased it out for the shorter versions.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Damn! I thought the Kybers were rough made. :brow:

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
I seen a rifle like that at the gun store in clyde ohio the other day. What are they worth?
Very dependent on if it is all there. Cleaning rod, monopod, bayonet. Chrome in good shape. The org monopod is often worth more than a rifle.

Bare rifle with good chrome as a shooter is worth a little more than a MS or run of the mill Mauser. More the a Mauser because the barrel will be good(because of the chrome) & more than a MS because the ammo is based on the std Mauser round.

·
Banned
2,485 Posts
It has more to do with the condition of the Mum than anything else when it comes to collecting Jap rifles. It is nice to have the monopod, AA sights, dust cover cleaning rod and other items but most collectors start with the question of the mum's condition. in short, under $200 for a last ditch T99 such as the one above and well over $200 for a bare bones earlier production T99, then going up from there depending on condition and items included. If you find a "bring back" with original paperwork then you can expect to shell out an easy four figure price for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I know the mum is intact, it had the bipod, cleaning rod, and the sight with the fold out pieces. Im not really looking to start a collection of rifles of this type but maybe a second look is called for. I think they had a tag on it for 200

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
if it as complete as you say, then I would jump on it at that price.
I agree with Krippp, That's a great deal I would differently pick it up

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Devildogs..I work in Clyde sometimes..what place did you visit?..I know Hunters Needs between Clyde and Bellvue..they had an SKS for $250 there..not sure what type though. (they also had a 995 for $150)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts