JC Barrel

Discussion in 'Gunsmith shop' started by Lighthorse, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Lighthorse

Lighthorse Member

I've looked around and didn't find anything. I have a JC, I'm getting ready to paint. So as I'm cleaning it up I notice at the base of the barrel what looks to be a Crack. No this can't be, so I get a pick and feel it. Yes, it feels like a CRACK.
    I get a good light out, and a Glass and take a real GOOD look. Okay it appears to be a crack, so I did a pressure test, while doing this I notice a snap.
    I notice the barrel had just a ever so little bit of play. In the direction the bullet travels. If forced in the direction of the bullet, in and out, it will make a noticeable snap. What appeared to me to be a crack isn't its a cast mark.
    Has any one here ever heard of this before? Any thoughts on this would be of Great help. I called HP, they offered a New 40JCP, but really had no info that would help.

Thanks

2. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I sent a couple of JC's in to Iberia Firearms a few months ago. One gun was repaired & the other one was replaced. John the tech said he was not comfortable with the way the barrel had come lose from the frame. I would send it in & have them look at it. You wouldn't want to have an accident & somebody get hurt? Depending on round count & type of ammo used, who knows the history on an old JC?

3. Lighthorse

Lighthorse Member

Its not lose at the frame, where its pinned. The barrel is lose inside the "block thats pinned to the frame." I'm considering drilling the block and pinning the barrel, anyone have any thoughts on this? I talked to John, pretty sure that was his name. He said if he got one for parts he would call me, but never heard anything from him.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  4. Lighthorse

Lighthorse Member

I'm happy to see no one has had this problem or even heard of it. I've watched the videos of the guys trying to blow up the C-9 wow what tank. It would be nice to know the exact measurements of the barrel before pinning it. Pounding a 3/8 bolt into the end of the barrel with Rock, then chambering a round and discharging it. Well, not really my idea of the best pressure test.

5. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    No we haven't. Send it in. This isn't the time for kitchen table gunsmithing.

6. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    The makers can fix or repair the problem the right way--much better than most of us could. It is best to let them do it. Besides, such homemade repairs as you are describing could invalidate your warranty, and that would be the end of any further free support if anything else were to go wrong with it.

7. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

John is the son of Jim Cole (the owner of Iberia Fire Arms) that makes the 40's. I would re-call him back. He may have got busy & forgot. He is a great guy. He really took care of me a few months ago!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  8. Lighthorse

Lighthorse Member

They did offer me a New 40jcp so that was Great. I asked John about measurements, he talked like, "blue prints, what blue prints." I rarely let other people work on my firearms. Think I'll put in the drill press and pin it. I'll let you know how I make out, I hope..

9. cicpup

Vermont
    Or hop on an auction site and find another barrel. They're out there. Just swap them and know you're safe.

10. Lighthorse

Lighthorse Member

Yes I'm aways going to be on the look for a good JC. Hell, I'll even take a bad one, for parts. I don't make many online deals, I kinda like to pick things up with my hand and give them a good look, before paying for them. I have this one drilled and pinned, I think it came out good. I'll put up some pics once I figure out how to.

11. cicpup

Vermont
    Not saying buy another JC. Just a $30 or so barrel.

12. Lighthorse

Lighthorse Member

If I could just run over and pick them up that would be great. How much money can I vest in to a 80.00 hand gun... Drilling and pressing the pin, cost: 0, time: 30min, not including dry time on the epoxy. Yes, I dripped some epoxy in the hole before pressing the pin in.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  13. cicpup

Vermont
    Another $30 without breaking a sweat.

You want to chance blowing you hand off be my guest. I would happily spend $30 to avoid the risk. But that's me. I'm silly that way.

14. Lighthorse

Lighthorse Member

I like way you assume I'm going to be holding it in my hand when I test it.:D I thought I'd give the epoxy a week or so to set, before testing it.

15. cicpup

Vermont
    I like how you assume only the first few rounds will produce a problem.

16. Lighthorse

Lighthorse Member

Thought I'd try my luck at posting a video.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvvurXmAmg[/ame]

Dam, I think it worked. note: after they run over the .380 with the truck and fire it. Notice the guy who's firing it, his recoil or lack there of, is perfect for a semi auto.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  17. Lighthorse

Lighthorse Member

Thanks to all who posted thoughts on this. Your advice is the best thing to do for most folks, with limited skills and tools. Hell, my computer skills and typing ability's are very limited. As you can see. I didn't put that pic up there that way and can't fix it, if one of the mods could please turn the pic up the right way that would be great, thanks. So the test fire went great, I thought about cicpup as I was dragging out the vice and table. Then thought its to cooled dam it, opened the back door and busted off two rds, then checked the barrel and breach, and shot 6 more, total I ran 50 though it. Only one fail to feed, user fault most likely thinking about the barrel blowing out of the block and not recoil.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  18. cicpup

Vermont
    Problem is when someone asks for advice, we have no idea what they're capable of. So we assume they found a pair of vice grips and are raring to go. It's why many just say "send it in".

You done good. I won't underestimate you again.

19. Lighthorse

Lighthorse Member

Vice grips, my favorite tool. If I didn't love this 40 so much I most likely would have waited for a better barrel. Most of these JC models have seen some use, I'm guessing on that, so I'm also guessing a better barrel may be hard to find. I noticed some wear in other places when looking this one over really good. My love for this 40 comes from the fact by test, by me. That this firearm eats all ammo, I don't care what other folks say, this is hard to find... Correction I've never shot steel case ammo though it, I reload so I save all brass.