JCP mag still wants to point cartridge down despite spreading rabbit ears

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by Browning 9 Guy, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

I know this has been discussed a million times, but I'm not finding any threads on it (need to take Search 101)

I've spread the rabbit ears on my JCP 40's mag so they don't touch the bullets at all. Still, all rounds after nos. 1 and 2 want to angle down. My gut feeling is that the mag's interior needs polishing with fine grit to eliminate friction. Or perhaps removing the plastic spacer. Has anyone had this issue?

Any words of experience are most welcome!

2. That does sound strange. Usually the first two rounds are the ones to go down do to tightness of the magazine. After a magazine wears in it usually stops.

Are you using steel cased ammo by chance?

ETA check to see if your mag spring is in backwards.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014

3. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Magazine springs and check the follower.

4. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I think Rachgier had that problem with some of his .40 mags, now that you mention it..... And I do believe it was a spring issue.

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    If the spring flip doesn't help...Have you tried loosening the rear lips? If nothing else is touching...it must be them, right?

6. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Are you experiencing this by unloading them by hand, or as they cycle through when being fired?

I ask because when I got my JCP, I noticed the rounds tended to nose dive when unloading by hand. I didn't make any changes, grabbed some tools and headed to the range. 50 rounds, one mag, they all loaded and fired flawlessly.

Did you JCP come with the owner's manual? I bought mine new in February or March and the owner's manual gives you the measurements that mag should be, regarding the front and rear lips.

7. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

Nose low when loading JCP mag

It happens when loading. Actually if I push each round into the proper up angle when loading, all is well. No nose dive jams at all. But I drives me nuts knowing the mag has that glitch. Flipping the spring is my next step. Pretty easy to do. Will try spreading the back lips ever so slightly too and will let you guys know the result.

Thanks for all the replies.

8. I'm having a similar problem with my pre owned JCP. Both mags (one old and one new) cause the first 3 rounds to nose dive upon chambering. If I load the mags with 7 rounds, all is well. Right now I have the new mag fully loaded and will keep it that way for a couple of weeks to see if that helps. However, when compared to the new mag, the old spring seems pretty loose; so, I'm a bit confused at this point.

BTW, I did spread the ears out a bit but that didn't solve the problem.

9. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Not always, but usually if you have the same problem with more than one magazine, it's not the mag. I would call MoM & ask to talk to a tech. He may have some other questions, since you said it was an older JCP? Remember to call Iberia Arms for the JCP-40's.

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.net/contact.htm

10. I will give them a call. The good news is that after taking the old mag apart and cleaning it, I can now cycle 8 dummy rounds instead of 7. However, and as can be expected, I'm still not satisfied.

The difference from the OP's problem is that when I point the rounds upward in the mag they revert to a downward position once inserted into the pistol.

11. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

Are you sure that the LRHO lever is not touching the nose of the ammo when you insert the mag into the pistol? I believe a few people here have had that issue and proceeded to file down the tab so that it doesn't interfere with the ammo when loading the magazines.

12. Just checked and rounds are not touching the lever.

13. colthrash

colthrash Member

are they catching the bottom of the feed ramp?

14. Yes they are.

15. I just got off the phone with HP CS and the very nice representative recommended I return the pistol to them. He said they well either fix it or replace it - sounds like a plan to me.