JCP nose diving on full mag

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by ChrisZX2, Jun 23, 2015.

1. ChrisZX2

ChrisZX2 Member

So after my big praise, my .40 jammed on me today. Full mag of Federal FMJ flat nose, shot 80 so far with no problem, first shot feed jammed as the round nose dived into the feed ramp, couldnt get it to go it, had to remove the mag, slap the bottom of the mag, and reseat it. Ran fine after that. Does the mag need adjusting? Feed ramp need polishing? Or does Hi-points not like flat nose ammo.

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

So, you had 1 feed failure then no problems right? Why would adjust anything? One failure in 80 something rounds isnt an issue. One failure doesnt mean HPs don't like flat nose ammo. If you hit one pothole in 80 miles of road it doesnt mean concrete hates GoodYear does it?

If it becomes frequent worry about it. You had one. Adjusting anything is just likely to cause more issues.

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Nearly all .40's are flat nose, so that isn't it.

Make sure as you load the mag that each round is back all the way against the base. After you load a mag, smack the back of it against something (your leg, or your hand) to help seat everything.

That should prevent a nose dive, which is often caused by the nose having too much friction with the front of the mag, and not popping up as it should.

4. Earnshaw

Earnshaw Member

Ajole is right that many 40 cal rds are flat point, but not all. I've had good luck with doing the mag loading as he describes, plus it may help to load only 9 rds the first few times the mag is loaded .
    Round nose ammo ,when you can find it does seem to work better, at least it does for me. Below is a round that I've had good luck with in my 4095 . Good luck!

http://www.sgammo.com/product/40-ca...in-jhp-hollow-point-prvi-partizan-ammo-ppr401

5. ChrisZX2

ChrisZX2 Member

I'm always sure to tap the mag to seat the rounds on allmy guns. Maybe I didn't that time who knows, just alittle worrysome as I carry this for protection. I fired 20 more rds today and no issues, even when I didn't tab the mag on porpose to try and make it jam to see if that was the problem. Im prolly going to keep it loaded with powerBall ammo for protection just in case. I'm still loving my hipoint tho :)

6. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    I'm not one to use absolutes, but, all firearms regardless of cost can fail to feed, fire or eject. It could be the firearm, ammo or operator. If it's once in a blue moon, "don't worry bout it". If it's consistent then you might have a problem. For all you know you had one factory round with the slug seated at a different depth. If it's not ongoing, you'll drive yourself nuts trying to figure it out.

7. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Theres my little George. Welcome back.

8. tazz2007man1

tazz2007man1 Member

Do springs in the mag weaken if left loaded?

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    No...unless it's really crappy poorly made antique springs.

10. TRWXXA

TRWXXA Member

True. Modern spring steel does not have that problem It's is the repeated compressing and extending of a spring that will eventually weaken it, which is why springs should be replaced after a lot of use. Many of us will never fire a single firearm enough to make this necessary, but if an older gun is having issues...

11. ChrisZX2

ChrisZX2 Member

Done it twice today. Will only do it on the 2nd rd of a 9-10rd loaded mag. I also noticed its not the feed ramp but the mag it gets hung on. I currently only keep 7rds loaded while carrying just to be sure.

[​IMG]

12. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    A .40 eh? I've had to trim down the spacer a bit in a couple to get them to feed right

Am I the only one that sees a penis in that pic?

13. ChrisZX2

ChrisZX2 Member

I thought about triming the plastic piece but didn't want to make things worse. How much should I trim it?

14. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Shave it down flush to the front of the mag itself. It won't hurt a thing. I did it to all of my .40 mags.

15. ChrisZX2

ChrisZX2 Member

I trimmed the piece down, then the rounds started nose diving on the bottom of the feed ramp. Would still fire fine with 9 or less rounds in mag. So I tore her apart and went after everything that moved with 1000 then 2000 grit. Polished the feed ramp and ever so slightly reshaped the very bottom of the ramp where the rounds where getting hung. Works like a charm now, with a much better trigger to boot. The 1st round of a 10rd mag will still nose dive but wont hang up. I really think its a case of a poor mag design. But I feel comfertable enough keep 8 in the mag and one in the pipe.

STILL more reliable and less picky than my M&Pc..

16. ChrisZX2

ChrisZX2 Member

I spoke too soon? Started nose nose diving with full mag again AND will feed jam about twice per mag no matter how many is in it. Still using the same ammo ive always used. Think I got my hopes up about this gun...

17. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Did you check the mag springs to see if they're in backwards?

18. ChrisZX2

ChrisZX2 Member

Ive never took the mag apart. Funny how the only issue was with nose dive on full mag which i could have lived with, no with ANY rounds the bullet will get jammed pointing straight up

19. I've got the same issue going on with my jcp40 only mine is almost every single round!!!... I even polished the feed ramp! SWAGA I'm gna try ur tip with the backwards mag spring! Thanks for the help everyone!!! Will update how I make out