Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited by Moderator)
I like the chrome with wood grip J-22s. Does it have a sliding safety?
Yes this one has a sliding safety. First one I have seen with these wood grips. Unfortunately this one is a single shot, it was pretty clean but not lubed. I just spent a little time on it after shooting it, a little 400 grit sand paper here and there and some oil the slide worked better. If it does not work all that good I do not care, cause it looks pretty and the wood grips are nice 😁

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yes this one has a sliding safety. First one I have seen with these wood grips. Unfortunately this one is a single shot, it was pretty clean but not lubed. I just spent a little time on it after shooting it, a little 400 grit sand paper here and there and some oil the slide worked better. If it does not work all that good I do not care, cause it looks pretty and the wood grips are nice 😁
I've found that mine only works properly once it's dirty. If I clean it, there is typically a 3-4 magazine break-back-in period where it refuses to cycle. Pesky things generally, but fun once they're working and great for malfunction drills.

·
Super Moderator
9,664 Posts
@harleyboy65 its a pretty basic pistola. When you say it's a single shot, what happens? Failure to feed? Extract?

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@harleyboy65 its a pretty basic pistola. When you say it's a single shot, what happens? Failure to feed? Extract?
The main problem is failure to extract, the round is getting pulled from the chamber and jamming sideways in the slide. The feed ramp it dirty, so I imagine the chamber is dirty also. I feel it needs a new recoil spring also, the mag spring seems weak also, it only came with one.

·
Super Moderator
9,664 Posts
Failure to extract is pretty common in these.

First off, try using CCI Mini mags, because for whatever reason, comparable hi-velocity rimfire ammo just doesn't seem to work reliably. (I know, it figgers that a cheap gun would have champagne taste in ammo).

If Mini Mags don't do the trick, take a look at the extractor. Pull it out of the slide, and clean the channel and the spring. The "claw" really needs to have a hook to grab the spent casing and some of extractors were stamped with less than aggressive results. Make certain the spring is clean too. After reassembling the extractor into the slide, reassembly the pistol and look and make sure that the extractor claw isn't riding up onto the barrel collar and moving outward failing to engage the case rim.

The extractor groove in Jennings barrels evolved over time, and not for the better. Barrel #1 is from an early J-22, and #4 is from a later production pistol. Surprise, #1 worked very well, and #4 was from a jam-o-matic.
Light Camera lens Automotive lighting Camera accessory Automotive tire

If necessary, use a small file to carefully and sparingly clean out the right side of the barrel further forward so the extractor can grab the case rim when the slide is closed. The extractor shouldn't move outward excessively when a round is chambered. Use care when doing this, otherwise you'll ruin the barrel. (Been there, done that)

Reactions: Rerun

·
Super Moderator
9,664 Posts
Another thing to look at is to see if the barrel has been peened from dry firing. This can cause the spent cases to hang up upon extraction. There's no fix for this, you need to replace the barrel. While the slide is off the pistol, check to see that unfired rounds slide in and fall out easily.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sat down with the Jennings J-22, I did a good cleaning, frame, slide, striker channel. I polished the feed ramp because it was dark gray in color and a little rough(minor). Went over some rough spots with file and 400 grit sand paper. I had 2 mags with jambs and wha la it started functioning, shot CC standard velocity first, federal and some Winchester. Mine and bumthumbs J-22 have something in common.

·
Super Moderator
9,664 Posts
Your Jennings manual must be a different version than mine. The one I have doesn't appear to make any ammo recommendations whatsoever.
Photograph Font Book Publication Line

Jimenez Arms did provide a list of recommended ammo for their JA-22, which did include Stingers. Here's what they suggested for the JA-22:

RECOMMENDED TYPES OF AMMO

22LR: 40 gr FMJ (Full metal jacket) / HP (Hollow point)
-CCI Stinger
-CCI Mini mags
-Federal Target Load
-Federal Game Shock
-Winchester Super X
-Ball or Round nose / Brass Casing

FWIW, I never had luck with CCI Stingers, the casings pulled out from the barrel just fine but they always got stuck in the ejection port. I figgered it was due to the casing being a tad longer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The main problem is failure to extract, the round is getting pulled from the chamber and jamming sideways in the slide. The feed ramp it dirty, so I imagine the chamber is dirty also. I feel it needs a new recoil spring also, the mag spring seems weak also, it only came with one.
Mine did the same thing, try different Ammo. My first one I had years ago like 40 was a great shooter. I could hit a milk jug cap at 25 yards with it time and time again.
I hate I sold it.
One I bought for $100 is junk. Just a throw down one now

·
Super Moderator
9,664 Posts
Mine did the same thing, try different Ammo. My first one I had years ago like 40 was a great shooter.
From what I've read and experienced, the earlier J-22s were built better and worked better. When I see one for sale now, I always check the safety: Push up safety? Pass. Sliding safety? I'll give it a look over and if it looks good (and the price is right) I'll take it.

This isn't to say the push up safety models can't be decent l'il shooters, they can be for sure. I just don't have patience to eff around with 'em anymore. I used to have one of every Bryco/Jennings firearms they made; I've whittled it down to where now it's just J-22s and M-38s, oh, yeah plus a mangy ol' stray Model 59.

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
All 3 of the ones I owned would only run somewhat reliable on the cci stingers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your Jennings manual must be a different version than mine. The one I have doesn't appear to make any ammo recommendations whatsoever.
View attachment 76287

Jimenez Arms did provide a list of recommended ammo for their JA-22, which did include Stingers. Here's what they suggested for the JA-22:

RECOMMENDED TYPES OF AMMO

22LR: 40 gr FMJ (Full metal jacket) / HP (Hollow point)
-CCI Stinger
-CCI Mini mags
-Federal Target Load
-Federal Game Shock
-Winchester Super X
-Ball or Round nose / Brass Casing

FWIW, I never had luck with CCI Stingers, the casings pulled out from the barrel just fine but they always got stuck in the ejection port. I figgered it was due to the casing being a tad longer.
adam01364, The recommendations were on a separate piece of paper inside the box.

·
Registered
10 Posts
adam01364, The recommendations were on a separate piece of paper inside the box. It just dawned on me that because it was on a separate piece of paper, it may have been a paid suggestion by CCI and Remington. My manual is like yours. Stingers and Mini Mags are the only ones that don’t jam on mine. I think RemOil was the first Teflon oil on the market.

·
Registered
10 Posts
adam01364, The recommendations were on a separate piece of paper inside the box.
Correct. About 1 X 3 inches folded inside the instruction sheet. I still have the instructions but not the separate sheet. To paraphrase something like, “For your Jennings to work consistently we recommend shooting only CCI Stingers ammunition and using RemOil on the slide rails.”

1 - 20 of 27 Posts