Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone ever had any experience with one? I saw one at the gun show. My sister was looking at some guns, and I was pointing her towards .380. we saw a jennings and it was $75. she was thinking about taking the gamble, but eventually I steered her away. anyone have any input on this one?

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
she would want it for CC. at the gun show i saw plenty of .380 but it was expensive as hell. also saw tons of primers and I did see WWB 9mm JHP for $37 (for 100 rounds). First time I have seen that in probably 2 years. I passed on it though, because I am rethinking my ammo choice for the 9mm. heavy weight +P FMJ has started sounding like a better plan after doing some more research about ballistics in dead bad guys.

anyway, i digress.

I think I am going to help her get a bersa .380 because its a good size for her hand. A friend has one so I am gonna have her shoot his to see what she thinks. but $75 seemed pretty tempting. She has held my C9 but thinks its too big for her. I agree, it may be hard for a girl to conceal that. she is diggin on the idea of open carry though. we saw one bersa thunder .380 for $239.

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
I don't have any experience with one but if I saw that at a gun show I might offer $45-50 to give it a try! Who knows? It could be a good little cc if ya find the right ammo and work any kinks out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just remember the smaller and the lighter the weapon gets the higher the recoil

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just remember the smaller and the lighter the weapon gets the higher the recoil
true. thats why i like the bersa. its small but its not terribly light. for a .380, its perfect. There is really hardly any recoil on it.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
for a carry gun, you want it to be very reliable and perfect. A bersa or Kel Tec and be like that. A jennings will not. Do not get a jennings for a carry gun, they just aren't reliable enough on the whole to be considered a good choice for a carry gun.

For a small carry gun, figure on spending at least 200-250 minimum to get a reliable gun. I'm excluding the Hipoints only because they are quite large for a carry gun compared to the keltecs or the bersas.

Don't ever consider a ring of fire gun for a carry gun, just not worth it. And I know that people will chime in and say "oh but mine has been perfect" and that is great but the ring of fire weapons history has not shown that they are reliable in the least.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
for a carry gun, you want it to be very reliable and perfect. A bersa or Kel Tec and be like that. A jennings will not. Do not get a jennings for a carry gun, they just aren't reliable enough on the whole to be considered a good choice for a carry gun.

For a small carry gun, figure on spending at least 200-250 minimum to get a reliable gun. I'm excluding the Hipoints only because they are quite large for a carry gun compared to the keltecs or the bersas.

Don't ever consider a ring of fire gun for a carry gun, just not worth it. And I know that people will chime in and say "oh but mine has been perfect" and that is great but the ring of fire weapons history has not shown that they are reliable in the least.
good point. i still feel like we should have picked it up just because it was so cheap. but you're right, it wouldn't be good enough for a carry gun.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
The Jennings .380 was my carry weapon for a few years. I did have a few jams but was satisfied with its performance for the most part. That was an upgrade from a Titan .25 I have since upgraded to the Ruger LCP (also.380) for a CCW. It weighs a tad over 7 ounces and has a very low profile.Ammo is a bit difficult to get a hold of though.

·
Banned
3,722 Posts

Good points in general but if you don't have $200-250 and feel the need for protection (for whatever personal reason) I would say if you could get something like this and of course do some range time to satisfy yourself on function I would have to say the $50-75 dollar Jenning in your pocket beats the $200-250 gun sitting in the LGS guncase still. Just my .02

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
i have 2 of them , a jennings 22 and a jimenez 32 , once you do a little fluff and buff they're fine . but most of the gun snobs (the ones that actually shot one instead of just taking someone's word for it ) never bothered to fluff and buff anything , they just slap a mag in and declare it a jam-o-matic on the first hiccup (does that sound like any other brands we know ? ) . for me i love the size of the jennings/bryco/jimenez , fits right in a pocket and fits my stupid tiny hands . honestly i was going to buy an lcp , but by the time it would have been paid for , shipped , and ffl'd it would have cost me somewhere in the $300-350 range . not to mention i hate double action only and no where has 380 ammo , well i take that back , cheaper than dirt has some if you want it for $35 a box of 50 ...so f that. later on down the road i'll pick up a beretta tomcat as i love da/sa guns and beretta was the only company smart enough to make a pocket sized one . but for now the jimenez will do just fine , for $190 i got the gun , the shipping , the ffl , and 250 rounds of ammo .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts